Four killed as pickup rams into rescue workers assisting injured biker

Four killed as pickup rams into rescue workers assisting injured biker

By The Nation

de2c6b82ecc3f33511fcb579514cdbf3-sld.jpeg

A pickup hit six rescue workers, killing four and seriously injuring three others at 1.30am on Sunday in Trang province.

The accident took place while the rescue workers were trying to help an injured motorcyclist. The motorcyclist ran into a road barrier and injured himself, needing help. 

He sustained more injuries after the accident involving the pickup. 

The pickup driver and a policeman who had come to check on the motorcycle accident were also injured.

“I noticed that the pickup was coming fast and thought it might have had a brake failure. I tried to alert my friends but they could not flee the scene soon enough,” one of the survivors said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314488

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-07

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tragic absolutely tragic, people going out to help others and get killed by a possible speeding driver.

Hope the pickup driver was giving the breath bag.

One thing that amazes me here, is they never seem to put up warning signals far enough back from accidents for other motorists to see.

That is most certainly a scene of absolute carnage. One wonders why the pick up never saw the ambulance. It is standard procedure for them at every accident to have the flashing lights going. RIP to the good people trying to help who have lost their lives.

Maths problem, the truck hit 6 workers, killed 4 and injured three. That makes 7.

Edited by darksidedog

Basic assistant rendered to a road accident has to start with securing the parameter

of the accident area with red cones and lights and people to direct traffic around

the spot where the crew are working to help, non of the above ever has been set

up to the best of my knowledge and from what I saw in other road accidents...

After watching what goes on here in Thailand I have come to the conclusion that Thai people secretly love this sort of thing. I know many will argue with me, but I believe they have this fascination with death and destruction.

They just love to create situations like this were even more carnage happens and they sort of push the envelope whenever they can. Like sitting next to a race track hoping the flying debris from a giant crash lands all around you killing everyone except yourself.

I think it has to do with believing they are somehow protected by Buddha (or some variation of that) and that is what determines the outcome these accidents. Not the placement of road flares, cones, or even those cheap super bright LED lights placed on the highway. 

And those who survive have had the belief system validated.

Edited by NCC1701A

29 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

After watching what goes on here in Thailand I have come to the conclusion that Thai people secretly love this sort of thing. I know many will argue with me, but I believe they have this fascination with death and destruction. ...

You are overthinking this way, way too much. They trust in amulets. End of.

2 hours ago, Farang hunter said:

Not if the pickup driver was under the influence and speeding!

Speeding - Drunk - using mobile or any combination

Very sad indeed 

some will say TiT - sorry but that doesn't excuse blatant stupidity and ignorance of the law. 

RIP

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Basic assistant rendered to a road accident has to start with securing the parameter

of the accident area with red cones and lights and people to direct traffic around

the spot where the crew are working to help, non of the above ever has been set

up to the best of my knowledge and from what I saw in other road accidents...

I have no doubt a also contributing factor - but if some speeding drunk with his head buried in a mobile it's not going to make much difference.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragic absolutely tragic, people going out to help others and get killed by a possible speeding driver.

One thing that amazes me here, is they never seem to put up warning signals far enough back from accidents for other motorists to see.

The obligatory tree branch placed 5 or 6 feet behind the vehicle seems to be the norm for the morons here.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

They also have no idea about how to use the hazardlights of a car....Even the police/ambulance has no idea how to use wailing lights and on top of that EVERY person is allowed to use them, even next to main roads.

Myself i don't pay attention to red/blue wailing lights anymore. See them all day everywhere.

Almost certainly speeding and almost certainly, not paying attention to their surroundings, I see it myself every day, the drivers head bobbing around as he/she chats in the cab/watches TV/plays with the kids/plays with the phone - those things combined with some of the slowest reaction times I'm ever seen anywhere, I don't know what that's all about but the "think" needed to act seems way too high, that's why I spend more time watching what's going on behind me than in front and why I wont let people get get even a little bit close to my rear bumper. You only have to add alcohol to all of that and you end up with a super dangerous driving environment, which is what it is.

16 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes, warning signs are certainly so necessary, especially on busy highways.   In the USA I saw where police used lighted flares on the road, well in front of an accident scene.

In Germany, I noticed that all cars carried a red, reflective triangle in the trunk, which could be stood up if there was an accident or a flat tyre being changed.

"Brake failure" again I'll bet,, Thailand must certainly have THE highest inncodent of brake failure in the entire world... It's NEVER, EVER the driver's fault,, (if they're Thai),,, it's ALWAYS brake failure,, even on a vehicle only a couple years old,,, and that excuse is always accepted as the reason,, NO need to investigate,,, 

2 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

No, the witness already did the job of RTP... it was brake failure...

Obviously his annual road transport test was out of date.     

Everyone here seems think someone who speeds is on drugs/drunk. My guess most who spped aren't drunk or on drugs. They just  speed b/c they just don't respect driving/never been taught/enforced on how to drive properly.

And yes Thais do a piss poor job of securing accident scenes, disabled vehicles or road work

16 hours ago, clockman said:

Thai people never plan. Or think of danger!

'Thai people never plan' :sad:

I have told you a million times not to exaggerate.

A Tragic incident that could have been prevented but then again so could the herald of free enterprise etc etc.

The incessant need on here to turn anything into another thai bashing thread is bewildering.

I Despair at the lives some people must lead.

After me driving here for many years I know that for some reason Thai folk do not "read" the road ahead, or don't want to "read" the road ahead, just take evasive action at the last moment if they can't blunder through. This is one of the main reasons road fatalities is so high here..

A truck speeding towards you and you are already guessing Brake Failure????

That excuse has gotten so way out of hand that they should impose MASSIVE fines for just uttering it!

2 minutes ago, thhMan said:

A truck speeding towards you and you are already guessing Brake Failure????

That excuse has gotten so way out of hand that they should impose MASSIVE fines for just uttering it!

Agreed, naive minds, innocently ignorant and completely indifferent to consequence...     it's a highly volatile mix when combined with vehicles...