asian toilets - personal hygiene

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, fishbrando said:

I see this as well, even at some of the "high-end" shopping malls.  The restaurant staff, in full uniform, just walk right out of the extremely-crowded bathroom without washing, right in front of everyone.

Are Indian restaurants the worst hygiene offenders?

A young Vietnamese explained that to me. He asked if Westerner's private parts were dirty because they wash their hands after they go to the toilet. He said that he was taught to keep his privates clean and to wash his hands before touching it. 

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Never got the hang of a bum gun, my Thai partner doesn't like it either. Been using paper for over 70 years, never had piles.

Try dropping a load on your kitchen table and wiping it off with toilet paper.  Now, wash it off with water. Which was cleaner, water or paper?

28 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Try dropping a load on your kitchen table and wiping it off with toilet paper.  Now, wash it off with water. Which was cleaner, water or paper?

Thank you very much for that advice, my wife will not speak to me now!

I have to agree about the WC facilities at the petrol stations. One of the best is at Pattaya Klang Bus station, where the big Mosque is.In my younger years here, i would often take a young lady back to my hotel room, and i was amazed at the length of time they would spend in the shower. I thought it was maybe because they didn't often get the opportunity to get hot water and decent soap.I was always very impressed that Thai girls personal hygiene was 2nd to none. However, some of the toilets in bars left a lot to be desired, and when me and Mrs Kaen opened two bars in Patts, we refurbished the toilets as a priority.
I could never use the Thai toilets, i always had to remove both trousers, and underwear, and hold my shirt up.

Me too ( to removing trousers )
There's always the danger of losing your, phone, wallet, keys or coins down the hole !!
Plus, if you're really unlucky you could lay a log in your undercrackers !!

3 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

eat and crap before you leave your home.......

dont drink from a can

drink from a bottle after cleaning the top

never use a glass unless you washed it.

difficult .....i know

A week of dysentry is great, better than Weightwatchers.

For me, it's a dream coming true. A while back we had a thread "Urine stories". I complained bitterly, that we had "P***y stories, "urine stories" but no "Fecies stories". Now it has happened. I am thrilled.

PS: Afraid of your boss? Too much respect from Royals and powerful Heads of State? Just imagine them with their trousers down, taking a crap.
It puts things back into perspective: Biologically speaking, they are just another mammel like you and I.
Cheers.

For me, it's a dream coming true. A while back we had a thread "Urine stories". I complained bitterly, that we had "P***y stories, "urine stories" but no "Fecies stories". Now it has happened. I am thrilled.

PS: Afraid of your boss? Too much respect from Royals and powerful Heads of State? Just imagine them with their trousers down, taking a crap.
It puts things back into perspective: Biologically speaking, they are just another mammel like you and I.
Cheers.

" you are only as good as your last crap "

Oscar Wilde or was it Mark Twain [emoji848]

11 hours ago, fishbrando said:

I see this as well, even at some of the "high-end" shopping malls.  The restaurant staff, in full uniform, just walk right out of the extremely-crowded bathroom without washing, right in front of everyone.

Are Indian restaurants the worst hygiene offenders?

In mid size cities all over mainland China, I see restaurant workers picking their noses outside their front door during afternoon off  hours.   It was like that in Hong Kong 50 years ago also. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyngai said:

In mid size cities all over mainland China, I see restaurant workers picking their noses outside their front door during afternoon off  hours.   It was like that in Hong Kong 50 years ago also. 

Its likethat in Hong Kong now or ar least last December. Lung King Heen on finance street. Waiter came over to us with his little finger stuck up his nose on getting to table he wiped it on his shirt. Goodye moved to another restaurant. 

Tango Argentinian Steakhouse wyndam st central. Waiter front of house sctaching his arse big style "can i take your coats sir/madam" two hopes matey Goodbye.

reason for Goodbyes i belive front of house staff set the tone if there like that whats happening in the Galley. We tend to stick to the Restaurants we know and like here in Thailand. Im not one for trying new places if the ones we like can satisfy my needs.

I fell through the bottom of a squatter toilet in a Hmong refugee camp in Loei back in 1979 when the floor gave way.  It was a little cement plastered on top of bamboo strips.  Fortunately the hole wasn't full and I landed on my butt with my legs dangling into the hole.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I fell through the bottom of a squatter toilet in a Hmong refugee camp in Loei back in 1979 when the floor gave way.  It was a little cement plastered on top of bamboo strips.  Fortunately the hole wasn't full and I landed on my butt with my legs dangling into the hole.

You exceed the weight limit of 60kg per user. 

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Its likethat in Hong Kong now or ar least last December. Lung King Heen on finance street. Waiter came over to us with his little finger stuck up his nose on getting to table he wiped it on his shirt. Goodye moved to another restaurant. 

Tango Argentinian Steakhouse wyndam st central. Waiter front of house sctaching his arse big style "can i take your coats sir/madam" two hopes matey Goodbye.

reason for Goodbyes i belive front of house staff set the tone if there like that whats happening in the Galley. We tend to stick to the Restaurants we know and like here in Thailand. Im not one for trying new places if the ones we like can satisfy my needs.

you are lucky enough to find silver coins on the street. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyngai said:

you are lucky enough to find silver coins on the street. 

If i understood whatever you brief statement was supposed to mean i would answer it. Im sure it makes sense to you.

Sorry to say this but Indian people are generally not very clean, and I've spent about 5 months in India. Of course, most poor Indians have little access to proper bathrooms , soaps, déodorants etc.´The oil  they put on their hair smells very strong  too.Their kitchens can be appalling , no words to describe ! I've seen their kitchens in GB, France, and Thailand, and frankly, they scare me to death. I love Indian food,but rarely can find one that is clean. Must say that a lot of the waiting  staff , even Thais, are not very cleanly dressed. 

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Sorry to say this but Indian people are generally not very clean, and I've spent about 5 months in India. Of course, most poor Indians have little access to proper bathrooms , soaps, déodorants etc.´The oil  they put on their hair smells very strong  too.Their kitchens can be appalling , no words to describe ! I've seen their kitchens in GB, France, and Thailand, and frankly, they scare me to death. I love Indian food,but rarely can find one that is clean. Must say that a lot of the waiting  staff , even Thais, are not very cleanly dressed. 

You are quite right there, my friend. I had a plumbing company years ago. We were asked to repair a broken drain and an Indian Restaurant local to us. We fixed a price, but when the job was done, they reneged on the price, trying to haggle with us. We simply came back in the evening and told the boss that if he didn't pay us we would tell his present customers and give the photographs we had taken that day of the rats in the open sewer. They paid!

On 5/12/2017 at 2:19 PM, peterb17 said:

On 5/12/2017 at 11:23 AM, Jessi said:

Many times I notice that men coming out after having a crap,stand in front of the mirror

doing their hair but never to wash their hands.

Personal hygiene is not big in Asia.

Nothing to do with Asia. Everybody knows men lag light years behind women when it comes to keeping themselves clean and sweet-smelling.

As it happens, my Thai male friends and family tend to be as cleanliness-conscious as any Westerner - and in a half century of globe-trotting,  I would rate Thai women among the most fastidious I have encountered.

This is presumably why the Land of Smiles has embraced the toilet spray gun with more enthusiasm than many Western countries - including my own, where a wipe with paper (in the old days of the kind which enabled you to catch up on yesterday's  news) has still to suffice in many private homes and public conveniences.

It may also explain why these ingenious little devices are provided in the modest cloakrooms of Hua Hin's government-run public hospital - but not in the plushy loos of the town's swanky new Bangkok Hospital on the other side of town patronised by large numbers of falangs.

What were the owners of this landmark healthcare emporium thinking when they built it? Will Annie eventually get her gun - or do the hospital's owners think we Westerners don't know how to use them?

Thought I should also throw in my 5 bahts worth on this riveting topic  5555

Growing up in Oz, I was raised as a "2 ply paper guy". Skidmarks were considered collateral damage. No biggie.

My first girlfriend in Thailand ate chillie food like lollies. I thought the least I should do is try to keep up with her ...... farkinell .... big mistake.

I never saw daylight for my first 2 weeks in Thailand. Spent the entire time crapping in various bathrooms around BKK ..... phwrrrrr .... must have lost 5kg

So .... my first couple of bogs in Thailand ..... where's the dunny paper ? What the hell is that thing hanging on the wall ? or worse ..... what's that 20 litre bucket of water and scoop for ?

Now, 5 years later, I'm a bum gun convert. Wayyyy more hygienic, and a better job than paper. Still haven't quite got the hang of the 20 litre bucket and scoop thing though.

Tried to convince my son back in Oz to plumb a bum gun into his bathroom. His reply ? "Are you <deleted> nuts ? ...."  It's a cultural thing I guess. 555

Yes ..... we still buy 2 ply dunny paper ..... but now only to put on the coffee or dining table in a cute plastic dispenser.

3 hours ago, electric said:

Thought I should also throw in my 5 bahts worth on this riveting topic  5555

Growing up in Oz, I was raised as a "2 ply paper guy". Skidmarks were considered collateral damage. No biggie.

My first girlfriend in Thailand ate chillie food like lollies. I thought the least I should do is try to keep up with her ...... farkinell .... big mistake.

I never saw daylight for my first 2 weeks in Thailand. Spent the entire time crapping in various bathrooms around BKK ..... phwrrrrr .... must have lost 5kg

So .... my first couple of bogs in Thailand ..... where's the dunny paper ? What the hell is that thing hanging on the wall ? or worse ..... what's that 20 litre bucket of water and scoop for ?

Now, 5 years later, I'm a bum gun convert. Wayyyy more hygienic, and a better job than paper. Still haven't quite got the hang of the 20 litre bucket and scoop thing though.

Tried to convince my son back in Oz to plumb a bum gun into his bathroom. His reply ? "Are you <deleted> nuts ? ...."  It's a cultural thing I guess. 555

Yes ..... we still buy 2 ply dunny paper ..... but now only to put on the coffee or dining table in a cute plastic dispenser.

I put one in my home in OZ....holy hell, Bloody cold in winter though....until I plummed in the hot water as well....