What's up with Bangkok nightlife? What's up with the early closing??

ricku

I don't know .. you don't see Thais coming to your country and judging the way things are done.. that's just the way it is.. OP was just asking why everything was closing earlier than usual, I don't get the need for all the drama,bashing and cynicism that appeared on this thread.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Army (not Police) raid on an establishment in KSR last week and underage drinkers, late opening, date taking were found on the premises.

The Army told the Police that if they do not enforce the laws, they will be removed from their job

No more corruption (brown envelopes) , no more late night drinking . The law must now be obeyed 

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So all the owners and employees were told that their businesses and employment were going to shut down for no "just" reason at the whims of people who just love to use their authority? That is what this all boils down to, Thailand, uniforms, authority?? They sure go together here. they are picking on just one thing here, the nightlife. If the authorities are right, then why don't they just shut down everything except the emergency services if religion matters that much.

The law is that after midnight no alcohol can be sold, and entertainment places should close.

Because they have been tolerated to open longer in the past doesn't make it a law.

And I'm sure that you as a long time resident are aware of this, but just want to have the last word.

40 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The law is that after midnight no alcohol can be sold, and entertainment places should close.

Because they have been tolerated to open longer in the past doesn't make it a law.

And I'm sure that you as a long time resident are aware of this, but just want to have the last word.

As a resident of this country, I want to see tourism prosper, but the way the authorities are carrying on, and not just on the nightlife scene, also their attitude to long term tourists, there are always lots of empty hotel rooms that could easily be getting used.

OP

I can not say anything about anywhere else but you need to hit Patpong.

Clubs were open until 2 last night and that is the norm for the street.

As to being closed on Wednesday that is not a huge issue.  The bars can stay open if they want and quite a few did on patpong.  The only catch is that just like the stores they were not allowed to sell liquor.

It is not so much that the bars have to be closed but let's face it with no booze to sell they don't make a lot of money

4 hours ago, jaymbkk said:

If they're too dumb to understand the value and importance of religion in Thailand and generally in asia and to respect the country's culture .. then yeah they can go elsewhere in my opinion.

Depending on tourism doesn't mean forgetting your history and culture.

lol yea because being Buddhist is about stuff such

- country being the World's biggest brothel

- materialism anywhere you look

- being "ugly" unless you get 5+ sessions with a plastic surgeon

- the brutality you see in the news daily

lol yea because being Buddhist is about stuff such
- country being the World's biggest brothel
- materialism anywhere you look
- being "ugly" unless you get 5+ sessions with a plastic surgeon
- the brutality you see in the news daily

So much hate .. wow you've got issues. I wonder why you're even here .. anyway.. interesting contribution thanks

At the risk of stating the obvious, could this be something to do with legal licensing laws which forbid sales after midnight, UNLESS that said establishment has an entertainment licence?  The fact that many businesses have operated without such a licence for years - and allegedly hand over cash to the metropolitan authority to turn a blind eye to them flouting rules - is illegal and slowly coming to an end.  It's not an end to the nighttime economy as some claim, merely an attempt to ensure businesses are operating inside the law.

Similarly with the removal of street vendors who have handed over cash (illegally) for years to retain their pitch, this is being clamped down on in a bid to "end corruption" (sic).

I appreciate this is a head ache for visitors looking to party but there are many other legal places open until very late.  Worse case scenario, if an unlicensed business burnt down with you inside, would your insurance company take this as an excuse not to pay out?  

8 hours ago, jaymbkk said:

Judging by the places he's talking about, it's another quality tourist missing his share of hookers and beers.

What's wrong with this ? not everybody enjoys having a ugly old wife and drink cheap whiskey all day with her.

7 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

What's wrong with this ? not everybody enjoys having a ugly old wife and drink cheap whiskey all day with her.

I dont think that Thailand wants to be a Country where older men come to engage in prostitution 

Yeah right seems totally legit. No prejudice. Well thanks for the contribution

19 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

I think it's not your business and not your problem.

Yes, and I dont not have a problem with bars closing at midnight.......thats your problem and your business 

9 hours ago, Steiner said:

Wait, you're saying Thais don't have kids out of wedlock!?! 

???????

Man half of Isaan is made of of 'kid stay with mum' (grandma). 

That is so blinkered I'm not sure whether to laugh at it. 

thai's only have single mums as fare as i know, they are chasing farangs all over the internet

those 24 year old divorcees with 2 children of 8 and 5 years old

Interesting happening at Mixx Th. night. Fun and games in full swing when suddenly around 1:30am the cops come in, lights go on and the doors are shut. Nobody can go out. So we think, oh, great, not just an early night but peepee tests too.

Minutes go by, we can't see cops from where we are so we figure they're picking people at random. But after some more time not seeing a single cop in the room where we are, it's clear they aren't taking people for tests. But the doors are still closed, we can't leave.

Then, bang, all of a sudden the lights come on, DJs scramble back to their stations, music starts, dance floor fills and it's like nothing ever happened. Go figure.

Edited by Bang Bang

11 hours ago, ricku said:

But yesterday was just a normal Friday night, and all the bars got shut down again (even the ones who usually remain open when everything else is closed).

This past Friday was also some kind of special government day or holiday day... They keep changing around the holidays lately, but my wife was off work because of it on Friday. So your experience on KSN may well have just been a happenstance of bad timing --  picking two days to visit where the normal routine was not being followed.

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I see where you are coming from, and I strongly believe that if you go to a country for a holiday or retirement, then you must respect that country and it's culture.

Now I am no sex monger or drinker, but the people who own these businesses or are employed there have bills to pay and families to feed, and to shut them down for nothing other than religion, it is way off. just my opinion.

Or because the locals are having an election and so no-one is allowed alcohol, even tourists. Or the authorities want to have a show of force for no reason other than they can and descend on a nightlife area at any time they choose and close everything down.

Just curious - does any other country in the region close down bars etc when there is a religious holiday or an election or when the police just want to bully people?

8 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Interesting happening at Mixx Th. night. Fun and games in full swing when suddenly around 1:30am the cops come in, lights go on and the doors are shut. Nobody can go out. So we think, oh, great, not just an early night but peepee tests too.

Minutes go by, we can't see cops from where we are so we figure they're picking people at random. But after some more time not seeing a single cop in the room where we are, it's clear they aren't taking people for tests. But the doors are still closed, we can't leave.

Then, bang, all of a sudden the lights come on, DJs scramble back to their stations, music starts, dance floor fills and it's like nothing ever happened. Go figure.

Simple. The brown envelope was collected. It just took a while to confirm the contents (the 'paperwork') were correct.

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or because the locals are having an election and so no-one is allowed alcohol, even tourists. Or the authorities want to have a show of force for no reason other than they can and descend on a nightlife area at any time they choose and close everything down.

Just curious - does any other country in the region close down bars etc when there is a religious holiday or an election or when the police just want to bully people?

The police do their bit when it comes to bullying, getting bar owners, street market vendors etc,etc, to contribute to their tea money funds, in return for leaving them alone.

I wonder how many tourists avoid Thailand because the beaches aren't topless, or because they don't allow smoking dope?

May as well complain about those rules as the rules that close the bars down at whatever time they close them down.  Their country, their rules.  Tourists who don't like it can go elsewhere, just like the marijuana seekers and the international topless set.

I don't always agree on where they draw the lines, but it's good to see that there are some things they won't compromise on just for sweaty tourist $$$.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

I wonder how many tourists avoid Thailand because the beaches aren't topless, or because they don't allow smoking dope?

May as well complain about those rules as the rules that close the bars down at whatever time they close them down.  Their country, their rules.  Tourists who don't like it can go elsewhere, just like the marijuana seekers and the international topless set.

I don't always agree on where they draw the lines, but it's good to see that there are some things they won't compromise on just for sweaty tourist $$$.

Yes, I do wonder why those who like to party come to Thailand. It's promoted as a place of fun and smiles, yet is a land of countless closures for 'official' reasons as well as raids at any time for no reason at all other than the authorities are free to intimidate and bully any business they choose, whenever they choose. Those party people that the Thai authorities are doing their best to discourage are free to party until dawn in most European countries and elsewhere so have no reason to visit Thailand except for some to catch a bit of sun. I am left wondering who, exactly, the Thai authorities are trying to entice to the country. Many places in the region and around the world have equally good or better beaches and shopping, so I wonder who their target visitor is.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

...so I wonder who their target visitor is.

I'd like to think that it's families and respectful people who don't think of Thailand as a Vomitoreum, and Thai women as their personal sperm receptacles, but I'm a little jaded after spending 6 years working around Lower Suk in BKK.   A good portion of the tourists I encounter regularly wouldn't be missed by ordinary Thais (or by me) if they took their debauchery and the money they spend on it elsewhere.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

QUOTE:  "Their" country, "their" rules.

Kindly explain who "they" are.

Personally, I know a lot of Thais that are not part of "them".

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, and I dont not have a problem with bars closing at midnight.......thats your problem and your business 

What you want is okay and what others want isn't important? People working until late, people running a business, people earning money for their families from that business - it's their problem. Just because I - and you - don't want to be in bars after midnight it doesn't mean that others shouldn't be allowed to if they wish. <deleted> has it got to do with the authorities, whose duty is supposed to be to safeguard the people, not dictate to them when they can and can't have a drink. Many flee the Nanny state for Thailand and then find it more restrictive in some areas than from where they've come from.

When there's a holiday the police come down Khao San and move tables from the street or tell places to close.

Sometimes even with no holiday they seem to do this. It's just one of those things. There's plenty of times where drinking, etc is still going on past 3am there.

I certainly wouldn't listen to anything a taxi driver told me either

When there's a holiday the police come down Khao San and move tables from the street or tell places to close.

Sometimes even with no holiday they seem to do this. It's just one of those things. There's plenty of times where drinking, etc is still going on past 3am there.

I certainly wouldn't listen to anything a taxi driver told me either

Fair point about the taxi drivers. But a while ago they were getting some kind of commission from those dirty places for bringing customers in, dunno if that's still the case tho

On 2017-5-13 at 3:18 PM, jaymbkk said:

I find it strange that the only complains we hear come from foreigners. Its like a trend now to judge the way things are run by Thais.. I don't see the point personally..

I don't think many Thai people frequent this forum. I've heard a few Thai friends complaining about this recently face to face.