Ex-FBI chief Comey to testify to Senate panel in public session

rooster59

Ex-FBI chief Comey to testify to Senate panel in public session

640x640 (4).jpg

FILE PHOTO: A combination photo shows U.S. President Donald Trump (L) in the House of Representatives in Washington, U.S., on February 28, 2017 and FBI Director James Comey in Washington U.S. on July 7, 2016. REUTERS/Jim Lo Scalzo/Pool, Gary Cameron/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former FBI Director James Comey, who was fired by President Donald Trump last week amid an agency probe into alleged Russian meddling in the U.S. election, has agreed to testify before the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee at a public hearing, the committee said in a statement on Friday.

The hearing will be scheduled after the May 29 Memorial Day holiday, the statement said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-20

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trump Told Russians That Firing ‘Nut Job’ Comey Eased Pressure From Investigation

WASHINGTON — President Trump told Russian officials in the Oval Office this month that firing the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, had relieved “great pressure” on him, according to a document summarizing the meeting.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

25 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Trump Told Russians That Firing ‘Nut Job’ Comey Eased Pressure From Investigation

WASHINGTON — President Trump told Russian officials in the Oval Office this month that firing the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, had relieved “great pressure” on him, according to a document summarizing the meeting.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia.

Is anybody starting to suffer from Trump exhaustion ?

I don't know about Trumps mental health but it would be better to get rid of him for the benefit of several hundred million peoples mental health.

I am sure Comey will have his pound of flesh at the Senate hearing - at least I hope so.

25 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Trump is a real class act for sure. Foreign leaders will be walking on eggshells because they know now he is a man who cannot be trusted with any secure information or plans.

1 minute ago, Andaman Al said:

Is anybody starting to suffer from Trump exhaustion ?

I don't know about Trumps mental health but it would be better to get rid of him for the benefit of several hundred million peoples mental health.

I am sure Comey will have his pound of flesh at the Senate hearing - at least I hope so.

Why would it be better...the new health care law won't pay for it anyway....ha ha ha

Comey is pretty measured in his responses and fairly diplomatic.   Other than his timing on the last press conference about the Clinton email he was pretty measured in his responses.   

I am sure he will maintain his professionalism before Congress.   The only thing that might change is that, he will do a lot less to protect the president than he may have.   

The intelligence community is always watching the Russian government as closely as they can and the NSA can track just about any electronic communication.

The Obama administration had every incentive to expose to the world anything sinister and illegal going on between the Trump campaign and the Russian government but, they did not.

They did not expose it before the Election, before the Electoral College voted and they did not expose it before Inauguration Day.  

I wonder why, maybe because there is no evidence.

7 minutes ago, stander said:

The intelligence community is always watching the Russian government as closely as they can and the NSA can track just about any electronic communication.

The Obama administration had every incentive to expose to the world anything sinister and illegal going on between the Trump campaign and the Russian government but, they did not.

They did not expose it before the Election, before the Electoral College voted and they did not expose it before Inauguration Day.  

This is a new one. Someone on the right complaining because the Obama administration didn't break the law.

So if there's no evidence why not call for a fully open investigation, and offer to support such an investigation? An innocent man would welcome public exoneration.

Instead, Trump seems to block any/all investigations. I wonder why?

I suspect that the "deep Obama state" chose not to interfere in the election, perhaps thinking/hoping that Hillary would win?

Here's what will happen:

Republican panel members will only focus on possible leaks and leakers, along with some references to Obama, HRC, Bill Clinton, and others from (what feels like) long ago.

Dems will focus on whether there were laws broken.

Comey will be the gentleman, as he always is - only telling bits of things that aren't classified.  He won't stoop anywhere near Trump's low level of character assassination.

As for veracity, it will come down to 'he said / he said.'   Even mainstream news commentators snicker and roll their eyes when the topic devolves to whether Trump can be believed.   Only the most die-hard, gun-hugging, pharma-pill-popping Trump fan still thinks Trump is capable of telling any truth.

Seems like this whole avenue is a total waste of time.

If Trump did say "I hope you can drop this investigation" as reported and it was just him and Comey in a room as reported, then it's one mans word against another.

So it'll go absolutely nowhere. Millions of dollars will be wasted and nothing will be proven.

It's just titillation for the media at this point. Something for them to foam at the mouth about.

1 hour ago, stander said:

Another trump supporter bricking it.

I'm sure you felt the same way about the seven (7) investigations, including a House Select Committee, into Benghazi over two+ years and costing millions of dollars.

Yes, Benghazi was a tragedy.

But the Russians interfering with the election, nothing to see here. 

2 hours ago, stander said:

Well if he had what would your responce have been? Zero integrity with these right wingers. 

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

If Trump did say "I hope you can drop this investigation" as reported and it was just him and Comey in a room as reported, then it's one mans word against another.

So it'll go absolutely nowhere. Millions of dollars will be wasted and nothing will be proven.

It's just titillation for the media at this point. Something for them to foam at the mouth about.

If he had his people collude with Putin to interfere with the election or to coverup such a crime he's doing time. At least his completion will match his overalls.

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

It is not just one man's word against another.

Two points: first, in any comparison, Comey will be given far more credibility than Trump ever would by any unbiased individuals.  Second, Comey prepared a record of the discussion immediately after returning to the FBI; such records are admissible under Federal law in certain circumstances and generally given great weight by a trier of fact.

12 minutes ago, stander said:

Comey admitted that the FBI has always been free to operate without political interference—flying in the face of Democrats paranoid delusions about Russia and President Donald J. Trump,

Perhaps, until trump fired him.

Noted in the Washington Post today --

The FBI acted with impunity as established by J.Edgar because even US Presidents (never mind Representatives, Senators and others in the political establishment) feared what Hoover would do with the dirt he had on them... This well established protocol was created during Hoover's 50 year reign has continued unabated  Free of Political interference? Not really. 

http://nypost.com/2017/05/17/james-comey-learned-his-j-edgar-hoover-lessons-well/

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Two things...

• Talking to Russia about Comey??? why would Comey come up in conversation unless the talk was about covering up the talks that never took place...
  • Describing Comey as a "Real Nut Job", so what does that make Trump.

Two points: first, in any comparison, Comey will be given far more credibility than Trump ever would by any unbiased individuals.  Second, Comey prepared a record of the discussion immediately after returning to the FBI; such records are admissible under Federal law in certain circumstances and generally given great weight by a trier of fact.

2 mens word will be weighted equally. That is how the law works.

The fact that Comey wrote some stuff down is irrelevant. It is still just his word and carries no additional weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

18485532_10211189678995651_1340201223587942565_n.jpg

trump is a notorious con man and liar.

It's well documented that he lies more than any president in history.

Comey on the other hand is usually faulted for being too much of a goody two shoes, boy scout type.

One man's word over another?

Comey's word has much more credibility. Deal with it. 

4 hours ago, stander said:

I think a quick check of the time-line and how the FBI operates under the constitution would help you with this.

No one would bother running an investigation unless there is some sort of suspicion or primary evidence that might lead one to thing that an investigation is worthwhile.

The FBI (which is independent of any administration) did not have any suspicion early on - only later when certain evens ensured, including the cracking of emails of officials in the Democratic Party, did suspicions arise and ultimately an investigation was undertaken.

Under normal circumstances, the FBI never comments on ongoing investigations. The Clinton affair was unusual and a very hard call because it went to the question as to whether the incumbent (not the campaign) was to be charged. This was a very hard call for the FBI - if they had kept quiet, they could have stood accused of partisanship and keeping important information from the American public. If they exposed it, as they did, and decided there was not enough evidence to charge, they stood accused of interfering in the election of a US President.

In the case of alleged connections between the Trump Campaign and Russia, the decision would have been much easier - if the allegations turned out to be true, then there would be no need to let anyone know about the investigation in advance of laying charges.

However, the irony is that the connection with Russia might run a lot deeper, between the Trump businesses and Russia, between the Trump family and Russia and crucially between Trump and Russia - and when we talk Russia, we are talking the Russian government and its supporting oligarchs.

As regards the other agenties, the General Flynn affair sums it all up - Obama knew about it in advance (about Flynn's connection to Russia and Turkey and his lucrative consultancy/lobbying contracts) but did not tell the world - instead he warned Trump. And so did a number of others. Sometimes you just do not trumpted to the world everything you know about your opponent as you might be showing your hand as regards your sources.

trump is a notorious con man and liar.
It's well documented that he lies more than any president in history.
Comey on the other hand is usually faulted for being too much of a goody two shoes, boy scout type.
One man's word over another?
Comey's word has much more credibility. Deal with it. 

Seems your opinion of Comey has changed since the Clinton investigation.

How odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Dagnabbit, you're referencing one little bit of data.  There's a whole lot more.  It's like basing a comment on WWII by just mentioning the bombing of Dresden.  The amount of evidence, circumstantial and otherwise, which has already been garnered, and has yet to be garnered is awesome. There are around 2 dozen Trump campaign people involved, and about 10 other nationalities, mostly Russian.  

Just today, the NY Times reported that one of Trump's Oval Office inner circle people is also under investigation.  When has the NY Times been factually wrong re; the Trump/Russia thing (?), despite being labeled 'false news' 200 times by paranoid Trump.  They didn't name the Trump insider, but I've heard evidence that would implicate Bannon and Kushner.  Of course Trump himself is implicated and a there's evidence of Ivanka's participation in shenanigans.   About the only Trump insiders who are not likely to get subpoenaed are Melania, Baron, Tiffany, the hedge trimmer and the pastry chef.

5 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Seems your opinion of Comey has changed since the Clinton investigation. How odd.

Jingthing hasn't changed his opinion as far as I've seen.  You may be getting him confused with someone else.

You probably don't want to know my opinion of Comey, but here goes:   I think he made a giant mistake, just 11 days before the election with the announcement re; Weiner's emails.  However I, along with Congressional Democrats (and nearly all Republicans) weren't calling for him to be fired.  It was a gambit by Trump (thinking he could fool everyone with the Deputy AG's letter which, btw, didn't ask for Comey to be fired).  A lie on top of a lie.  Trump's forte.

As with nearly everything else Trump has done in the past year, he was dead wrong.  His intelligence quota is in the teens.   He's a dumb man who is better suited to knead dough for bread in the WH kitchen, than being in the Oval Office.