Speeding fines in Thailand

I have to admit, I love driving fast. I recently got 2 tickets in the mail. The first one was for driving 158 km/h on a stretch of the Sirat expressway, 500 baht.

The second one was for driving 117 km/h on a rural main road, 800 baht.

If I understand that right, the faster you go, the cheaper the fine is?

Is there any sort of "gradual" system like the West, or is the fine just 500 baht whether you're driving 120 km/h or 300 km/h? Or is there a point where it becomes reckless driving?

I'd like to see what you guys think of that, because so far, there seems to be a huge lack of consistency in the system.

• Like 2

Just now, Hereinthailand said:

Just another accident waiting to happen.

I do not do anything reckless, and there is nowhere in the country where one can reach high speeds. What I'm pointing out is the lack of consistency in the system and wonder if it's really how it should be.

I took full responsibility for my speeding, and paid my fine like a good citizen.

• Like 2

157km/h is not fast on expressway. If you are driving a big car, I don't see any problem driving even at 200 as long as the car is under control. The fines are not fixed and depends on the officer, this is how law works here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shady86 said:

157km/h is not fast on expressway. If you are driving a big car, I don't see any problem driving even at 200 as long as the car is under control.

And then you come up behind a poorly marked road sweeper moving at 20kph in the outside lane ...

I got camera fines on the Udon Ratthaya expressway coming north out of Bangkok, 1,000 Baht for 123 kph (120kph limit indicated on the ticket) and another on Route 9 north of Banyai for 800 Baht (I don't remember the speed). Both came through the post with photo imprinted with speed and GPS co-ordinates of the trap.

Getting caught for 200kph on a UK motorway (speed limit 70mph / 112kph) will, as a minimum, net you a court summons, a fine well in excess of GBP100 (which is the fixed penalty for lesser infractions) and a compulsory driver awareness course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

157km/h is not fast on expressway. If you are driving a big car, I don't see any problem driving even at 200 as long as the car is under control. The fines are not fixed and depends on the officer, this is how law works here.

The fines are not fixed and depends on the officer, this is how law works here."

No, not with these automatic fines.

I presume, just as 'in the west', whereever that may be, that 30+ km on an open highway is considered less of an offense than 30+ km on a secondary road.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Sirat expressway, 500 baht.   &     rural main road. 800 baht.

Would look to me expressway higher speed limit so less over,  38 k.

Rural road more dangerous,  maybe 57 k or 67 k  over.

8 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

I seem to get the camera fines on a Monthly basis from travelling Pattaya-Bkk-Pattaya.. Always around 1000 baht. Speeds from 125-140kph. Sometimes you just need to do that speed to overtake the lane hoggers or escape the tailgaters.. Whatever.

Went to Sri Ratch immigration yesterday and on the stretch between Bang Saen and Sri Ratcha a lot of speed limit signs have appeared. Those on the main road are showing 90 with the camera symbol.

Going through Bang Phra there are reducing limits of 60 and 40 prior to the traffic lights but no camera symbols, yet? A sign of the times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well l think if you drink 1 beer with a meal and drive 10-20 kph more just to keep up with other traffic and not cause an obstruction l think there's nothing wrong that.

Take your western personal ideals and shove em.

What has respecting traffic laws of the country you're in to do with western ideals?

Edited by janclaes47
  • Like 1

You really are some guy, you have no regard for anyones safety, on another thread, you say you will ride a motorbike on the sidewalk if it is not busy, and now you are admitting to driving at 158 kph. You are so selfish and have no regard for anyones safety, it would be much safer if it was possible to keep you off the road in some way.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 11:52 PM, SiamBeast said:

If I want a lecture or a sermon, I have a wife and a mother, and they do the job pretty well. I got a fine, I paid, and the story is over. 157 km/h is far from being "fast", I get overtaken by drivers going WAY above that sometimes.

My guess is that you lost someone in a road accident - if that is the case, I genuinely feel for you, but you're straying from the point of my post which is to understand the system.

If anyone has some input on this, you're welcome to chime in.

and because you have been driving at 158 Kph, and other moronic drivers drive much faster, that makes it OK?

On 5/24/2017 at 1:50 AM, shady86 said:

They are not always fines, but contributions to the police tea money fund, and you don't always have to be breaking the speed limit, just the policemans interpretation of it.

• Like 2

In the USA different states and different areas have differing fines. 

My experience here is that it is negotiable as well. One policeman, happy that I could understand and respond in Thai, explained to me that I was speeding and needed to pay a fine - when I said ok and asked how much, he replied quite jovially - "Up to you" - I gave him 100 bath and he was pleased that all went down pleasantly. 

That should answer your question. But since you put it out there, I would just like to say, if you do one day kill a kid, you will hurt forever, for the rest of your life. Speed limits are for the safety of others. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 11:44 PM, Hereinthailand said:

You really dont get it do you ? 157 KPH=97.5 MPH  and you dont think driving at that speed on even the best road in thailand isnt a danger to everyone on the road including yourself ??? You should have had your licensed suspended and your car impounded. You WILL kill someone some day with your reckless- careless driving.

Yes it can be dangerous but when you have a luxury car you really get bored at 120 !

• Like 1

On 5/24/2017 at 9:13 AM, Pdaz said:

I seem to get the camera fines on a Monthly basis from travelling Pattaya-Bkk-Pattaya.. Always around 1000 baht. Speeds from 125-140kph. Sometimes you just need to do that speed to overtake the lane hoggers or escape the tailgaters.. Whatever.

Can you tell me where you have been caught ? Where is the speeding camera ?

I regularly drive over 150 (at night) and never received the photo !

5 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Yes it can be dangerous but when you have a luxury car you really get bored at 120 !

This. And 157 is FAR from reckless driving - it's merely overtaking. Above 200 could be considered reckless.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 9:30 PM, bangkokairportlink said:

Can you tell me where you have been caught ? Where is the speeding camera ?

I regularly drive over 150 (at night) and never received the photo !

On the Number 7 Highway. I believe it is somewhere soon after the booths where you collect the car ( if heading towards BKK ) But there are several sections marked with camera warning signs. I've never really been able to work out if the signs are legit or if the cameras are located in another section. It's definitely not systematic as I have often expected to get a fine when travelling at a sustained 140kph when the road has been quiet. Yet received nothing.. Other time I think I've keep close to the limit but a fine has arrived. 

"Yes it can be dangerous but when you have a luxury car you really get bored at 120 !"

Yes so true.. Modern Performance cars are so stable and quiet that keeping below 120 requires constant monitoring. Quick prod of the pedal and mine will spin up past 160 in a flash :(

• Like 1