Other prospects?

Cory

I wasn't sure where else to ask this so I'll try this forum,I realise that the Ajarn.com board is a more appropriate place for this but I've tried a dozen times to register there and it still won't let me post???So here goes.........

My question is regarding teaching english in south east Asia.I plan on coming to Thailand late this year to take a TEFL course and then look for work.I was wondering if anyone one knows what the job prospects are outside of Thailand in say Malaysia or Cambodia,Vietnam ect?Does Thailand have the best work prospects for the region or can other work be had in the area.Thanks.

You are right about the 'other' message board.  Have you tried it in the last week?  They took down the verification process and was able to register after a month.  You might find answers by reading other posts there if it is not all catfights.

In general Thailand teachers are here to stay in Thailand as their first priority.  Of course there are good teachers here and probably some of the least qualified by other standards are some of the best at teaching.  I suspect Malaysia would require more formal qualifications (although Thailand now requires a degree).  Doubt that Cambodia or Viet Nam have many students/schools that could afford western teachers yet.

You are right about the 'other' message board.  Have you tried it in the last week?  They took down the verification process and was able to register after a month.  You might find answers by reading other posts there if it is not all catfights.

In general Thailand teachers are here to stay in Thailand as their first priority.  Of course there are good teachers here and probably some of the least qualified by other standards are some of the best at teaching.  I suspect Malaysia would require more formal qualifications (although Thailand now requires a degree).  Doubt that Cambodia or Viet Nam have many students/schools that could afford western teachers yet.

I wasn't aware that Thailand now requires a degree.Is it still possible to find work without one?

All schools etc., ask for a degree.

In reality, many graduate from the University of Khao San Road. Most schools want bodies. One word of warning I've heard there might be a crackdown on false degrees soon, so be careful.