Watching UK telly via VPN, minor issue, anyone else?

Crossy

If setting windows to uk time zone doesn't work then just email your VPN provider and they will give you some manual dns numbers to input in your ip protocol settings.

Am using Strong VPN on computer and Hola VPN on Android which is amazingly pretty decent. Was watching the snooker on BBC2 on my phone without any problems.

4 hours ago, balo said:

I subscribe to Astrill VPN and I can watch all the UK channels that are free, including C4. No need to set the time .

interesting, does watching Channel 4 live work ok? I never had issues with catch-up.

Which OS / browser are you using?

On 5/30/2017 at 5:21 AM, Crossy said:

Bingo!!

Why the **** did I not think of that?

You may collect your beer(s) any Sunday, barbie too provided you like pork or chicken :tongue:

Task B - Work out how to stop Edge (or any other browser) from sending timezone information to websites.

May have some bearing but maybe not entirely.

At the time Expat ran into trouble I got message from AVG about their VPN and signed up for that one. I have not tried C4 , mainly concentrated on BBC and ITV. When both have worked it has been ok but I do get buffering at certain times of the evening, I am on 3BB 11Mbs service, best available in this area.

My main problem is with BBC, it is a bit hit and miss. Some days it works and some days I get the message "can only be used in the UK". When I looked at the support information it said if you were using a VPN and get that message it means the system cannot find the end point on the VPN. I have had a lot more success having the VPN on sometime before trying to use the BBC iplayer.

Last night it wouldn't let me on the iplayer so I watched the film Philomena that I had downloaded last week, worth watching, and after went to watch the download of last weeks Holby City and was a bit surprised when the next episode started downloading, I had it on series record and the VPN had obviously kicked in.

Its all a bit of a mystery, will keep the date function in mind.

I installed both ITV and BBC iplayers on my box that I got from Expat but neither work properly, suspect that may be down to the box being nearly 5 years old. When I tried the My5 app that certainly said it was incompatible with the android version.

10 hours ago, George Feedback said:

Okay, thanks, good advice I will use.

I guess unlike Expat you can't download recordings to your computer then?

(That's what I'm watching at the moment.)

If it's easy to upgrade I might start on 4hrs and see how I get on, I suspect 11 will suit me better though like yourself.

Happy viewing.

:thumbsup:

Hi George - not sure about computer/stick download - but don't think so. Quite frankly, there's no real need as all recordings are stored on their system and you download/delete at will. Why not try the free hour to get the feel of the controls (they are simple, although the 'programme search' has changed format recently) before you buy? Incidentally it also works brilliantly on iPad which can be really useful...

20 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

You get what you pay for.

My ExpressVPN subscription is up in September and will be renewing as well.  As you will know you also get the excellent app for your mobile device(s).

Are you using Express VPN at your router level or on individual machine,level  if at router level, which router

21 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

Another illegal site which could be shutdown at any time.

However if the server is outside Thailand, the Thai authorities could not close it down just block it

I use a VPN NOT to access blocked sites but so all information is encrypted, and this gives added security on the likes of bank sites, and preventing 3rd parties accessing my machine

In passing it also still gets sites blocked from outside Thailand, so I believe

There must internationally be so many illegal sites

Respondents to this thread may wish to review my OP:-

On 29/05/2017 at 9:51 AM, Crossy said:

OK, this thread is about using VPN to watch UK TV, not about Kodi or any of the subscription providers, so let's not go off down that route please.

I'm not going to remove the Off-Topic posts, but please let's try to remain On-Topic, which is "Watching UK telly via VPN, minor issue, anyone else?"

There are plenty of other threads where the (not illegal in Thailand) alternatives may be discussed.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

interesting, does watching Channel 4 live work ok? I never had issues with catch-up.

Sorry I tried it again now .

It was catch-up ,  I almost never watch live .  I tried live now and it did not work until I changed it to the UK time zone. 

On 31/05/2017 at 10:29 AM, al007 said:

Maybe to replace Thai expat TV

https://iptvclub.ecwid.com/

Any input or comments appreciated

Clunky interface, but streams pretty well for live stuff. Worth the yearly fee for the amount of rugby I watch live.

The Catch-up TV channels are not great. I have experienced lots of buffering and the time of the programme is never correct.

More of a 'make do' than a replacement for TEPTV.