Bike rider is thankful for a kind cop after roadside "red plate" stop

rooster59

Bike rider is thankful for a kind cop after roadside "red plate" stop

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQ1NC8yMjczMTE4L25ld3MwOC5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

A story from Facebook is a timely reminder about the length of time a red plate can be used on a new vehicle.

The story centered around a post of pictures made of a policeman stopping a motorcyclist yesterday morning who had a red plate on his bike.

The policeman said he was breaking the law for having the red plate too long. The rider said he had been to the shop that sold him the bike and they said the white plate was not ready yet.

The rider said " so what did I do wrong?"

The cop said that he had had the red plate for longer than 30 days but kindly offered to go to the shop with the rider to sort it out. The rider said he was busy, however, and the cop let him go.

Sanook reported that the cop would have been within his rights to book the rider. Having a red plate longer than 30 days falls into the category of tax evasion.

And offenders can be fined up to 10,000 baht, said Sanook.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-03

It was good that the cop showed understanding in this case as well.

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Yeah but it is hardly the guy's fault that getting plates takes so long sometimes.

it was good that the cop showed understanding as well. I am waiting for my white plate as well.

5555 i have never seen a motobike with a red plate....new bikes don't have a plate at all for a month or so (like mine) and even at policecheckpoints they didn't care for that or even notice it.

In BKK about 5% of the motobikes has no licenseplate, mostly those are on backroads after dark but you can see them everywhere.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

5555 i have never seen a motobike with a red plate....new bikes don't have a plate at all for a month or so (like mine) and even at policecheckpoints they didn't care for that or even notice it.

In BKK about 5% of the motobikes has no licenseplate, mostly those are on backroads after dark but you can see them everywhere.

But are they farang riders or Thai ?

I know someone who just bought a late model Benz that was driven

around for 3 years with red plats,  and when it was put up for sale

the date of registration was cited, not the real date of leaving the

showroom...and that copper is lamenting over a bike with over 30 days

red plates....

3 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

But are they farang riders or Thai ?

I do see farang driving without helmet in BKK but they always have a licenseplate.

Also everyday i see a few cars without plates. But since the police got those camera's i see many more scooters without plates on mainroads.

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I know someone who just bought a late model Benz that was driven

around for 3 years with red plats,  and when it was put up for sale

the date of registration was cited, not the real date of leaving the

showroom...and that copper is lamenting over a bike with over 30 days

red plates....

I also had a neighbour who drove with red plates for about a year or so. She loved it and felt vely important.

You can't drive with them at night she told me but in daytime is fine.

I bought a new bike for my son 10 weeks ago, but the white plate and green book still haven't come. Every trip to the shop gets the same story. They roll their eyes, so you know they aren't happy to see you, say, "You not worry. Come soon." Once you have parted with your money, they really don't give a shit.

7 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Take the plate of and the problem is solved.

When in Thailand, do as Thai's do

Our bike is about 9 years old and has been unregistered for years, although it only has about 5,000km's on it.

I did say to the wife after the 1st year when the rego ran out, we have to register the bike, with her reply being as I said on the top line of this reply: When in Thailand, do as Thai's do, but then again, we only ride it around the village, out of the village is the registered car.

Got a new scooter about two and a half month ago. No white plate yet. For the red plate I had to put down a deposit of 200 Baht. Received no papers for the red plate.

The dealer cannot do anything to speed it up. It's up to registration office work.

So when the cop pulled him over, how could he have seen the red plate. The police just pull   everybody over and look for some reason to write a ticket. I'm sure the bike was pulled over before the police officer could see the plate because police do not patrol and do not chase.

This does nothing to reduce the number of deaths on Thai roads daily. This is about writing tickets for commissions. When is the safety of the Thai people going to take precedence?

One day I am going to kill a motorbike driver who pulls out in front of me on a darkened road with no rear lights (at least.)  If the cops do proper checks this kind of incident could be eradicated.  Light bulbs must be the 2nd most expensive in the world judging by Thailand's position in the death rate league.

I bought a new truck a few years back and was driving around on a red plate for 2 months until I got stopped and told it was an offense, got fined 200 bht and told to take the red plate off. I then drove it around for 4 months with no plate and never got stopped, the tax sticker turned up after 3 months so I was legal.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I bought a new bike for my son 10 weeks ago, but the white plate and green book still haven't come. Every trip to the shop gets the same story. They roll their eyes, so you know they aren't happy to see you, say, "You not worry. Come soon." Once you have parted with your money, they really don't give a shit.

I had the same thing 5 years ago , got myself a Honda wave to run around on in town from the Main Honda dealer here in pattaya, it took 9 months to get the white plate, then same again 2 years ago i bought a Ducati from BKK and it took almost a year to get the plate and green book, i think the dealers should be responsible for red plate fines if they don't get the plate in time. 

I bought two bikes last year, both from the same shop. Three months later I ask the missus about the red plates. She was told by a friend that it was up to us to go and check with the shop. When we went down there, the sales lady pulled out a box which contained at least 30 new plates and registraton books !!!

I asked how long they had been ready...........Solly, no remember,  So I asked why we were not told........Oh, we veeeelllly busy evely day............:blink:

6 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

It was good that the cop showed understanding in this case as well.

it was good that the cop showed understanding as well. I am waiting for my white plate as well.

I have bought four new motorbikes in Thailand, and was never issued with red plates, the

newest one was bought in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

I also had a neighbour who drove with red plates for about a year or so. She loved it and felt vely important.

You can't drive with them at night she told me but in daytime is fine.

I know about the law where driving with red plates or out of province after dark is against Thai law, but as I don't agree with it

I did not comply when I bought a new truck more than ten years ago.

I have been told that the dealers often delay applying for the plates as they don't have to pay Government tax on the sale until the vehicle is registered. Often the red plates are clones or fakes as well. Police don't care as another excuse to fine drivers. 

Just part of the money game that is Thailand, Land of Scams.

On a side note, when ANPR cameras reach Thailand in a big way, and Government and police realise how much money they can make and how much easier it makes to catch the bad guys, and the good guys behaving badly, they will come down hard on the vehicles without plates, as they did with the stylised plates like Italics in the U.K.  

Edited by Classic Ray

5 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

This is about writing tickets for commissions. When is the safety of the Thai people going to take precedence?

I'll play your guessing game. Maybe around the same time as drivers in the UK start paying attention to speed camera's and stop maligning them as being only cash cows for local authorities.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have bought four new motorbikes in Thailand, and was never issued with red plates, the

newest one was bought in Bangkok.

Well done.

Like most things in Thailand, you experience can and will vary.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I know about the law where driving with red plates or out of province after dark is against Thai law, but as I don't agree with it

I did not comply when I bought a new truck more than ten years ago.

Although I cannot understand the reasoning for the law, I have to agree with their law since it is their law and I am just (another) guest with (limited) privileges.

Only got busted three times, twice in Bangkok; once in the evening and the other around noon, and once in Nakhon Nowhere around 2 AM.

Got seriously shook down by a Bangkok expressway exit ramp cop when I had no plates and he reckoned I was facing a minimum 7000 baht fine and vehicle confiscation. Unfortunately for him, he had stopped me in a really hot, sunny and noisy corner of a busy exit ramp @ Sukhumvit and gradually my obstinance, lack of funds (just arrived from the airport) and the heat wore him down and he waived me on. Took 20 minutes though.

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Yeah but it is hardly the guy's fault that getting plates takes so long sometimes.

Took them 7 months to get my white plate on my first bike.

6 hours ago, maximillian said:

Got a new scooter about two and a half month ago. No white plate yet. For the red plate I had to put down a deposit of 200 Baht. Received no papers for the red plate.

The dealer cannot do anything to speed it up. It's up to registration office work.

Don't you believe it! I bought a new car a couple of years ago and the dealer told me the white plate would take 3/6 months. I didn't want to be 'illegal' by driving after dark for that period so I said to the young lady who sold it to me " I have 3.000 baht returnable deposit - well you give me the white plate within 2 weeks and the money is yours.

She came round to my house 7 days later together with Mom and Dad and put it on herself.

The dealers don't want to forward the tax portion of your payment which appears to be due when registered and white plated.

50 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Although I cannot understand the reasoning for the law, I have to agree with their law since it is their law and I am just (another) guest with (limited) privileges.

Only got busted three times, twice in Bangkok; once in the evening and the other around noon, and once in Nakhon Nowhere around 2 AM.

Got seriously shook down by a Bangkok expressway exit ramp cop when I had no plates and he reckoned I was facing a minimum 7000 baht fine and vehicle confiscation. Unfortunately for him, he had stopped me in a really hot, sunny and noisy corner of a busy exit ramp @ Sukhumvit and gradually my obstinance, lack of funds (just arrived from the airport) and the heat wore him down and he waived me on. Took 20 minutes though.

You have spoiled a very good post by using the word "guest", we are not "guests" in this country, there are many reasons why not, and I can't be bothered going through them all again, but I will mention one, "double pricing for Farangs in certain places".

If the rider knew that he was over 30 days, he should have stopped riding the bike.
Since he's riding illegally his insurance would have been invalidated and what if he then killed a kid, hey?