Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

I think you will find all but the very smallest employers have to include their employees in the Social, just because big employees offer things like BUPA as well, does not negate their legal obligation.

Remember, the 750 Baht a month is not just for medical, it also covers a number of other benefits.

That was not my experience, but this was some time ago. Perhaps things have changed?

However this is a boring side argument that I have answered adequately to justify my comments.

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

That was not my experience, but this was some time ago. Perhaps things have changed?

However this is a boring side argument that I have answered adequately to justify my comments.

Nope, things have not changed, you were and are just wrong. Your "facts" were incorrect and you are incapable of admitting that.

If you knew anything about the Social scheme you would realize how farcical your "facts" were. Last time I looked BUPA et al, did not give cover for unemployment, old age, funeral expenses etc., that the Social scheme does. It is not an option, it is the law!

55 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

Nope, things have not changed, you were and are just wrong. Your "facts" were incorrect and you are incapable of admitting that.

If you knew anything about the Social scheme you would realize how farcical your "facts" were. Last time I looked BUPA et al, did not give cover for unemployment, old age, funeral expenses etc., that the Social scheme does. It is not an option, it is the law!

With regards to the proposed insurance to cover any hospital shortfalls,  I wrote: "The logical thing would be to co-opt long term stayers in to the social security scheme, as with some teachers working in the public sector."

Somehow you have produced a one man argument- a contradiction at that- which has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I have written.

• Like 1

Ecuador just changed to this. I was about to buy a ticket to check out the country and then learned of this rule. My understanding is that is if you arrive at the airport without 3rd party insurance you are turned away immediately?

Am still trying to find a way in with out buying it. It is expensive.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, garyk said:

Ecuador just changed to this. I was about to buy a ticket to check out the country and then learned of this rule. My understanding is that is if you arrive at the airport without 3rd party insurance you are turned away immediately?

Please find the exact problem tourist Thailand is trying to avoid - above poster.

Why bother to translate, if they don't believe you or have any doubt; just deny entry, simple.

they surely would not deny your entry... they would instead force you to buy their insurance while granting you the option to refuse and return home.

8 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

they surely would not deny your entry... they would instead force you to buy their insurance while granting you the option to refuse and return home.

Well, let's examine what you say. " . . . surely would not deny your entry . . .instead force you to buy their insurance . . . option to refuse and go home." 

I see no appreciable difference between that and denying your entry if you have no insurance.

8 minutes ago, equality said:

Farangs are in this country the paid and probably not more welcome. Germany as a comparison for a travel insurance for thai. ridiculous! My thai wife has all rights in Germany like a German. She can buy land, buy houses, with the husband insured, same entry rates as for German, can take loans, can easily open account, 3 year visa, does not have every 3 months to immigration and is not ripped off at every corner because she is thai etc. etc.. What rights do we have in thailand? : No equal rights as the thai, no land buy, no house buy - limited possible, not insured with thai, no equal entrance fees which are opposite thai up to 10 times as high, no finance, no loans, account open only over abock It is possible to buy a thai 300 baht at account opening and the farang has to deposit 10000 baht to the account opening, visum maximum for 1 year and show up to 800000 baht cash in bank but every 3 months with immigration report or every 3 months leave, when shopping  increased price by sight of farang . Ripp off farangs is a popular sport here. Now the farangs also pay 400 baht when they enter the jungle or national park. reason. Is polluted. The farangs with garbage are very carefully. But the thai throw their garbage everywhere. Behind every temple you can find large garbage, at each corner empty cups, bags, bottles etc .. it is damn unfair what is done here with the farangs without rut on family and children. No visa, not enough money, out, no matter if you are married and have children! Probably the main reasons why many farangs are now out of thailand and went to cambotscha, laos or vietnam. The country is broke, the baht artificially held high in the exchange rate, the next crash as 2008 is also imminent, and without farangs the country would still be at least 40 years back. Of course, then also at each airport to ask the farang to buy a travel insurance, offered a totally overpriced travel insurance, which nothing help the hospitals aske each farang for cash or credit card. Everything just another way to get the money of the farangs.

Please give me your opinion

Buy your travel insurance before you go to Thailand. Simple. It is not expensive and is good for peace of mind of you  pick up a nasty disease or get bitten by something nasty. Or fall off a balcony. To me it makes total sense and a I said before, we need to introduce the idea in the UIK.

20 hours ago, garyk said:

"Third party insurance" -- is that anything to do with medical, health or travel insurance?

7 hours ago, rasg said:

Buy your travel insurance before you go to Thailand. Simple. It is not expensive and is good for peace of mind of you  pick up a nasty disease or get bitten by something nasty. Or fall off a balcony. To me it makes total sense and a I said before, we need to introduce the idea in the UIK.

It's really not possible to say "It is not expensive" because it totally depends on what's covered.  You mention travel insurance which usually covers a  lot more than health issues.  Medical insurance -- which appears to be what TAT are wanting farang to have -- costs according to age and pre-existing conditions.  It's not impossible, but will require someone to actually do something more than moaning on a forum to find an affordable deal. ;)   As has been said in TV over the years - many farang carry concepts of their "rights" into Thailand from their homecountry, but this isn't Kansas anymore -- you need to adjust to the local conditions. 

On 2017-06-04 at 10:54 PM, Orton Rd said:

Idiotic, it's bad enough now with the Chinese at DM, imagine the 'queues' for insurance machines, folks with no baht, arguing, kids crying, machines breaking down, laughable.

'The requirement is seen as helping to reduce the burden on Thai hospitals who are being forced to treat an increasing number of insured foreigners.'

No problem then according to the article if foreigners are insured why is it costing Hospitals?

Private hospitals will have to lower the rates as competition will occur... is the reason this will never pass... Government hospitals for ear wash 200 Baht including visit to Dr....while Private Hospitals greet you with open arms and three nurses busy asking for you health coverage while reading your blood pressure as it will rise when you get the bill for ear wash... 3,000 baht! Never Never unless your insurance company will pay 3000 baht for special list including double billing of bottled water used to clean your ears... listen now it is clear...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rasg said:

we need to introduce the idea in the UIK.

As I stated earlier in the thread there is already a compulsory NHS surcharge to pay when applying for UK visas with a duration of over 6 months. The NHS surcharge is £200 per year, or part year over 6 months for every tier visa except student, students pay NHS surcharge of £150 per year. If payment is not made within 10 days of visa being issued then the visa is automatically cancelled.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

As I stated earlier in the thread there is already a compulsory NHS surcharge to pay when applying for UK visas with a duration of over 6 months. The NHS surcharge is £200 per year, or part year over 6 months for every tier visa except student, students pay NHS surcharge of £150 per year. If payment is not made within 10 days of visa being issued then the visa is automatically cancelled.

I am pleased the UK are doing this, but it didn't stop some pregnant Nigerian woman arriving and running up a bill of £30000 (if I got ALL the naughts) last year and not paying.

Still those with no problems might fill the gap.

Introducing it for transit visas would be ludicrous and impractical. For visas applied for at embassies and consulates and for extensions of stay it makes absolute sense and is no different from what is required of Thais applying Schengen visas. 

For any policies offered locally pricing pricing needs to be reasonable. It's fair for insurers to point out clearly that people riding motorcycles without a valid licence or a helmet will not be covered. Idiotic sports like jet skiing and parasailing should also be clearly excluded. That might discourage tourists from giving money to the disgusting jet ski scamsters.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:55 AM, fatdrunkandstupid said:

The Satang is not actually a nationally recognized currency.

The tiny copper colored coins were introduced by the 7 Eleven chain many years ago as part of it's Doraemon stamp promotion.

you are absolutely wrong!!!

satang were the ORIGINAL currency, with many prices listed in satang as portions of 1 baht (as in 100 cents in 1 dollar) decades ago before inflation;

the only stores still using satang and marking prices in satang is 7 Eleven and all other CP franchises (Family Mart, Value Max, etc)

there are 25 or 50 satang coins still recognized as currency

1 minute ago, jenifer d said:

you are absolutely wrong!!!

satang were the ORIGINAL currency, with many prices listed in satang as portions of 1 baht (as in 100 cents in 1 dollar) decades ago before inflation;

the only stores still using satang and marking prices in satang is 7 Eleven and all other CP franchises (Family Mart, Value Max, etc)

there are 25 or 50 satang coins still recognized as currency

I suspect that he was jesting.

On 6/8/2017 at 4:23 AM, jpinx said:

"Third party insurance" -- is that anything to do with medical, health or travel insurance?

I am in the process of getting a quote from Cigna for my international travel insurance. I will let you know what it will cost next week. Yes medical, health insurance for me. Last quote was over 300 US dollars / month. Been in Thailand for the last 9 years. Want to travel to South America Ecuador especially. As I can easily afford any medical mishaps that happen to me I am reluctant to buying a monthly plan. 

Luckily in Ecuador a tourist does not have to have the insurance. But, that is only for 90 days. So I may just go for the 90 days and see how I like it first. Not sure. As far as Thailand is concerned. If they have a state insurance that is inexpensive I will go back. If not, personally I have seen all of that country I wish to see. So no big deal for me.

Edited by garyk

I would be an issue for the 'visitors' from neighboring countries, regarded as foreigners as well, to enter the Kingdom only if they have a year around insurance, many visa waivers from neighboring countries live (and work) here without insurance,

The Western tourist who can't  pay  medical bills upfront are regular found in TV pleading for help.......foreigners are all NON THAI nationals.

anyway.......accident insurance (PA)will do.....1500 bath

Edited by hgma

One very important thing about travel insurance is that very few ( I have not found any) that will direct pay the hospital. The injured would have to file a claim and then get reimbursed.  I have bought several policies over the years and every time poured over the policy and payment details. I am from the USA.  So even if somebody had Travel Insurance, so what?  It would be redundant to my other insurance coverages I have and those also require me to submit claims for reimbursement. 

If somebody knows of any travel insurance companies that direct pay a hospital please list them

It would be very easy to implement but very stupid to do so.

They could just front load your plane ticket In the same way that you pay airport tax.

It would be stupid to do it because upfont charges would put off people from travelling. It might even encourage people with existing conditions to try to get free treatment, claiming something happened to them in Thailand

It wouldn't affect people entering overland and it wouldn't address the problem of long term residents without medical insurancr who are the most likely to be the people using hospital services in the first place

Even though it is a stupid idea, there are some nice opportunities for officials to scam the system so I wouldn't be surprised ro see something implemented

2 weeks from now, nobody will talk about it. Chinese and quality- tourists from Pakistan can not afford it.

The 1 % of Caucasian Farangs not paying their Hospital-Bill is offset by the 99% of Farangs that pay their Hospital-Bills with a markup of 300%, covering the rest.

On official Jet-Ski-Scam in the making!

At some point, the usual "This is Thailand" will not wash anymore!
Cheers.

No more Chinese Tourists on a $10.00 a day Tours? Maybe a good thing, but I agree it will never happen. I think Expats living here should be required to have Health Insurance, but it's the governments responsibility to have affordable Thai Health Insurance Available! I retired from a large government university here, so I was able to purchase Government health insurance at 432 THB per month for the

rest of my life in Thailand. If they offered expats a policy for 2000 THB per month that would be a good thing! As far as the tourist, if they rent a motorcycle or jetski, they have to buy full coverage for them and their passenger with no clauses, such as, no helmet no pay.

Edited by tomwct

11 minutes ago, tomwct said:

No more Chinese Tourists on a $10.00 a day Tours? Maybe a good thing, but I agree it will never happen. I think Expats living here should be required to have Health Insurance, but it's the governments responsibility to have affordable Thai Health Insurance Available! I retired from a large government university here, so I was able to purchase Government health insurance at 432 THB per month for the

rest of my life in Thailand. If they offered expats a policy for 2000 THB per month that would be a good thing! As far as the tourist, if they rent a motorcycle or jetski, they have to buy full coverage for them and their passenger with no clauses, such as, no helmet no pay.

" but it's the governments responsibility to have affordable Thai Health Insurance Available!" - Why is it the Thai government's responsibility ? It is the individual's responsibility, be it law or not.

"so I was able to purchase Government health insurance at 432 THB per month for the

rest of my life in Thailand." - You are aware that your payment covers more than just healthcare ?

"with no clauses, such as, no helmet no pay." - If you break the law, such as no helmet, why should the insurer pay ? You have acted in a reckless manner.

Edited by 1SteveC

5 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

" but it's the governments responsibility to have affordable Thai Health Insurance Available!" - Why is it the Thai government's responsibility ? It is the individual's responsibility, be it law or not.

"so I was able to purchase Government health insurance at 432 THB per month for the

rest of my life in Thailand." - You are aware that your payment covers more than just healthcare ?

"with no clauses, such as, no helmet no pay." - If you break the law, such as no helmet, why should the insurer pay ? You have acted in a reckless manner.

If the government doesn't step in with an affordable insurance, most big hospitals in Thailand are government run, then the expats won't buy. I've lived here 14 years and one out of 10 expats has insurance in Thailand, so the other nine would buy if affordable.

Edited by tomwct

3 minutes ago, tomwct said:

If the government doesn't step in with an affordable insurance, most big hospitals in Thailand are government run, then the expats won't buy. I've lived here 14 years and one out of 10 expats has insurance in Thailand, so the other nine would buy if affordable.

Affordable? Mate of mine pays 14k a year for his health insurance,(inpatient only), that is cheaper than your suggestion of 2k a month.

It is not the affordability that needs to change, it is people's attitude.

(If you only know 1 out of 10 that has health insurance, I am guessing all your friends either work abroad or are retired?)

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 2:06 AM, JAFO said:

Wait.....Are foreigners a burden to the medical system here?...don't make me laugh.

How many go and leave without paying?, whats the financial loss? whatever the number is, it has to be in the noise level. 

You find this amusing? The unpaid medical costs means that Thais are denied medical care and it means that foreigners seeking emergency medical care are subject lengthy delays before they can access top care as paperwork is verified.

This issue has been discussed multiple times on TVF and dates back to 2011 when the  multi million dollar costs were  exposed. The Scandanavian news profiled the costs back for 2016

http://scandasia.com/uninsured-foreigners-burdens-thai-public-hospitals/

Hospitals in Phuket provide an illustration of the  extent of the problem; Vachira Hospital  began to account for the losses in 2008, has a total outstanding balance on 19.827.858 baht concerning a total of 189 foreign patients. In 2015 the loss counted 3.837.583 baht.  Dr. Bancha Kakong, Director of the Phuket Provincial Health Office, stated that the expenses are approximately 10 million baht a year for the Public Hospitals in Phuket. He also claimed that Patong Hospital had an outstanding balance of around 2-3 million baht each year. At The Banglamoong Hospital in Pattaya they had a loss of 1.918.790 baht in 2015 from unpaid bills by foreigners. 

This is nothing new. The Pattaya Daily news in 2011 reported that the deadbeats are mostly European men who didn’t take out health  insurance. They renew their visas every year and have no savings.” Some of them produced fake financial statements to have their visas renewed.

Edited by geriatrickid