Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Ulrik DK said:

That's how they do in the US, at least 20 years ago where I had a bypass surgery done in Santa Barbara (CA). They wanted my health insurance up front before they would take a knife in their hands as well as they checked if it was ok. Tourists should not cause any burden to any other countries medical systems, as long as you can make a health insurance at very low cost compared to the price of treatment you receive in another country. If you have a master card gold issued in Denmark you automatically have a 60 day valid full world wide health insurance.

Posters are saying that health insurance is cheap: if someone can give a few examples of yearly plans, I for one would be very grateful. 

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, coulson said:

That was my point. Those genuinely interested in legitimate insurance (and their health) will have their own policy anyway. The rest (the stupid) will buy into this whole vending machine bit just to tick the box at immigration.

This is not an insurance policy, it is just another tax dressed up as a response to the increased demand (opportunity) that is young foreign travellers who get into accidents to have piece of mind off the back of so many harrowing stories. (which will not actually cover them for anything, however all can profess this was a grand attempt to address the growing issue of unlucky tourists ending up hospitalized)

A universal tax at the airport is potentially a great idea, but I rather suspect the only ones who agree, in general, will be those from the civilized countries, such as Sweden, France, UK, Australia, NZ etc.  Here, they have a national health service, whereby one pays taxes and receives treatment 'free'.  For some reason unfathomable to the rest of us, people from other places might well call foul.

The implementation of such a scheme is another matter entirely!

Posters are saying that health insurance is cheap: if someone can give a few examples of yearly plans, I for one would be very grateful. 

I could give you loads of examples of cheap local health insurance and guarantee that none of them actually cover anything you really want.

You'll spend as much money doing a pre-medical check and with all the exclusions you are better off sticking to your existing provider.

Alternatively you are better off (with the obvious exceptions) just finding a good old local unit and bring your wallet.

1 minute ago, coulson said:

I could give you loads of examples of cheap local health insurance and guarantee that none of them actually cover anything you really want.

You'll spend as much money doing a pre-medical check and with all the exclusions you are better off sticking to your existing provider.

Alternatively you are better off (with the obvious exceptions) just finding a good old local unit and bring your wallet.

What about the cheap travel insurance people mention?  That's more pertinent to this thread.

I don't think there is one in all honesty.

10 hours ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Retirement extension fee...  1900 THB

Compulsory insurance...   36,000 THB

Getting to stay in a country where you are despised...  Priceless...

Two weeks travel insurance is 1600 Baht from AIG they ensure people up to 85 years old so you're talking a load of nonsense

2 minutes ago, gamini said:

Two weeks travel insurance is 1600 Baht from AIG they ensure people up to 85 years old so you're talking a load of nonsense

When I came back over recently following an emergencey at home (UK), I bought insurance online for about 50 quid for 30 days.  It was a proper policy through a recognised airline.

But I think the profile of the uninsured expat who arrives at Thai hospital is going to be different.  Here, we will likely be talking about someone near destitution, or unable to purchase because of age discrimination.  Or perhaps someone who has just lost their way in an increasingly complex world.

Don't get me wrong- there will always be people who game a system, but to constantly characterize the unfortunate poor as stupid, reckless, dumb, irresponsible, ad infinitum.. is quite wrong imo. 

Personally, if a charge were to be made at the airport, I think it would be a good thing. 

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Spoke to a famous hospital in Bangkok about obtaining medical insurance through them.  Asked if immigration would be sympathetic to those undergoing treatment they said possibly NO.  They could not guarantee that people could come or stay in the country to seek medical treatment. 

You can obtain a non-immigrant Visa for medical reasons, which would give 90 days and requires proof that you're going to receive medical treatment from a licensed medical facility within the kingdom.

10 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Thai hospitals who are being forced to treat an increasing number of insured foreigners.

Now you lost me !

Bet there are not many hospitals who do not have not written off unpaid bills by none Thais totalling millions...

Big problem will be for those who already have travel insurance, someone is going to have to read each policy to see if it meets the requirements, that is really going to make the queues even longer... 

Thailand could easily push the main responsibility for enforcement on to the airlines and insist that proof of insurance is a prerequisite to boarding, and fine airlines who let tourists travel to Thailand without the required documentation. It would not take a great deal of effort to set up an enforce.

1 minute ago, Basil B said:

Bet there are not many hospitals who do not have not written off unpaid bills by none Thais totalling millions...

Big problem will be for those who already have travel insurance, someone is going to have to read each policy to see if it meets the requirements, that is really going to make the queues even longer... 

That's one of the reasons it is unenforcable.  Add in a dozen languages and the problem becomes extreme.

The only thing that could work is mandatory health insurance from the Thai Government.

21 minutes ago, gamini said:

The link to the web page offering this insurance policy would be helpful to the readers, I believe.

15 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

You can obtain a non-immigrant Visa for medical reasons, which would give 90 days and requires proof that you're going to receive medical treatment from a licensed medical facility within the kingdom.

But someone who has a Pre Existing Medical Condition and is denied cover by their travel insurer or premium is too high but they decide to risk it anyway and travel to Thailand with say, a heart condition. They are hospitalised because of this which requires surgery and and a long stay and the "inexpensive" charge the Thai Govt imposes is going to cover that? Really? 

10 hours ago, CLW said:

For visa application, yes it can be done. Germany does the same to Thai people applying for a visa.

On the other hand, in case of Thailand with the majority arriving without visa, hopeless. Just imagine the difficulties at immigration

There's an easy fix for that, just make it so everyone needs a visa like back in the 70's.

18 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

Thailand could easily push the main responsibility for enforcement on to the airlines and insist that proof of insurance is a prerequisite to boarding, and fine airlines who let tourists travel to Thailand without the required documentation. It would not take a great deal of effort to set up an enforce.

Do you mean like the requirement placed on airlines by Thai Immigration to confirm that passengers flying to Thailand on a 30 day Visa Exempt stamp must have Proof Of Onward Travel by air within those 30 days? The one which airlines flying from Europe, US, Australia and Canada enforce but airlines flying from other countries, like China and Russia, (you know the "Quality Tourists" TAT says are vital to Thailand's Tourism recovery) and especially in S E Asia like AirAsia, ignore? Get real! 

Ok no one seems to have listened to Trump "citing an unnamed but “informed source” . Made up news.

Ok so then lets say they do it. Has to be based on x days so will be a varying price by period of stay.

I go for 3 or 4 days each 2 months. 

I they charged every foreigner 5 baht per day would probably cover every tourist in the whole country since 99% dont end up in hospital. I would be happy with that.

15 minutes ago, Maestro said:

The link to the web page offering this insurance policy would be helpful to the readers, I believe.

Sorry. I bought a flight from BA upon my return, and clicked the link to its own travel insurance services online.  That's where I made the purchase.  It seemed a really good deal and I needed a month's cover while I sorted out health insurance this side.

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

is that true ? dragged my wife to the usa for 11 years, that was 7 years ago when we then moved here; i dont recall anything like this (18 years ago)

Yep, but how many in the US are uninsured anyway ?

1 minute ago, Arandora said:

airlines flying from other countries, like China and Russia, (you know the "Quality Tourists" TAT says are vital to Thailand's Tourism recovery) and especially in S E Asia like AirAsia, ignore? Get real! 

They would soon conform to the policy if Thailand was to get serious with the implementation of fines to the airline for passengers allowed to board without required documentation. Again, it would not be difficult to role out over a period of 18 - 24 months or so. However, as I stated earlier, the sensible approach would be to make it a condition of issuing a visa, and making 30 day stamps limited to 2 in any 12 month period. It's not so difficult to enforce, it just takes the correct ground work to be done and to be rolled out over a period of time rather than just running straight in to it.

Compulsory insurance makes sense.

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Sorry. I bought a flight from BA upon my return, and clicked the link to its own travel insurance services online.  That's where I made the purchase.  It seemed a really good deal and I needed a month's cover while I sorted out health insurance this side.

Thank you. That's a good service given by British Airways.

Rubbish, of course it can be enforced in the same fashion Thais requiring Shenghen visas to enter EU. If the authorities has any sense, all they need to do it copy our system where you have to bring along visa application form along with your valid insurance details. The problem is easy to solve, and one which is very practical for all foreigners entering the kingdom to have insurance, and not be a burden to the country in the event they require medical treatment.

And what about the majority of tourists that arrive with a visa exemption?

12 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

They would soon conform to the policy if Thailand was to get serious with the implementation of fines to the airline for passengers allowed to board without required documentation. Again, it would not be difficult to role out over a period of 18 - 24 months or so. However, as I stated earlier, the sensible approach would be to make it a condition of issuing a visa, and making 30 day stamps limited to 2 in any 12 month period. It's not so difficult to enforce, it just takes the correct ground work to be done and to be rolled out over a period of time rather than just running straight in to it.

Compulsory insurance makes sense.

"if Thailand was to get serious with the implementation" Do you mean like they have for the POOT requirements? All the counter arguments based on the practicability of this proposal were raised last time it was raised and dropped and will be next time too! 
Compulsory Insurance is required by many booking agencies in the UK. It should be made compulsory at point of booking not point of entry! 

2 hours ago, Arandora said:

IF this ever gets off the ground, just how much are you expecting the charge to be??? It is the Over 60s (like myself) who are most likely to need it!!! And it is usually the "brave" (read stupid) young people who think they will live forever and don't need it! 

Like you say "ever gets off the ground", it is just another stab in the dark in my opinion.

Tourists will be reasonably okay, a few companies will cover over 60 for two weeks, but if you need it for an "extension of stay" retirement it is a none starter and I will go to Vietnam to live.

5 minutes ago, Arandora said:

Compulsory Insurance is required by many booking agencies in the UK. It should be made compulsory at point of booking not point of entry! 

So you agree that compulsory health insurance should be brought in. That's a start.

7 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

So you agree that compulsory health insurance should be brought in. That's a start.

I agree that travel insurance should be compulsory everywhere but before travel not after arriving in any country. 

1 hour ago, coulson said:

That was my point. Those genuinely interested in legitimate insurance (and their health) will have their own policy anyway. The rest (the stupid) will buy into this whole vending machine bit just to tick the box at immigration.

This is not an insurance policy, it is just another tax dressed up as a response to the increased demand (opportunity) that is young foreign travellers who get into accidents to have piece of mind off the back of so many harrowing stories. (which will not actually cover them for anything, however all can profess this was a grand attempt to address the growing issue of unlucky tourists ending up hospitalized)

Indeed and the people that instigate this new requirement will no doubt have shares in the insurance companies that get to provide cover from vending machines at the points of entry.

Let's assume it's gonna happen, and they might hide it in the plane ticket, or make it mandatory that only the gov insurance (purchased @ point of entry) is the right one. So I guess I would just cancel my existing policy. A lot of Insurance (Thai) companies would be happy.

6 minutes ago, Arandora said:

I agree that travel insurance should be compulsory everywhere but before travel not after arriving in any country. 

The 'problem group' according to the authorities are the people who reside here, in which case any insurance they had likely lapsed already. 

But I personally think that an across the board entry charge, and again on yearly renewal of any visas is the best way of sorting this out.  At least it would stop all the moaning from the mean minded.

Archived