UK: General election 2017: Voters to go to the polls

webfact

General election 2017: Voters to go to the polls

Millions of people will be casting their vote in the UK general election later.

Polls open at 07:00 BST at more than 40,000 polling stations across the country, with counting starting once voting ends at 22:00 BST.

A total of 650 Westminster MPs will be elected, with about 46.9 million people registered to vote.

That is up from the last general election, in 2015, when there were 46.4 million registered voters.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40191900

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-06-08

Vote Trump!....oops sorry wrong election! 

To upset May's applecart look at who is running second to the Tories in your constituency and vote for them.  This is not about electing a new leader it is about lowering the majority of the useless Prime Minister we currently have.  Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions!

With a balanced parliament issues will be held to account and not just pushed through willy nilly.  As it is we are stuck with lack lustre candidates all round at a time when the country is really struggling.

1 minute ago, DPKANKAN said:

Pray for May. If she wins, which she should do given the inept opposition, the pound will strengthen a couple of baht at least! My 3 monthly pension is due in a couple of weeks time!!! 

Purely selfish.

I feel your pain!  However May's stance over a hard Brexit is one of the things that is keeping the pound low.

I don't have an answer to the problem but you have to say that it is self-inflicted.

27 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Pray for May. If she wins, which she should do given the inept opposition, the pound will strengthen a couple of baht at least! My 3 monthly pension is due in a couple of weeks time!!! 

Purely selfish.

I am selfish with you , the Baht - quid needs to improve .

You know you're becoming Thai when....(no. 573)....you vote for the party which promises you the biggest short-term gain.

It is clear that May's confrontational approach has angered the Europeans and will lead to the worst possible Brexit deal. Any other vote and hopefully Sterling will eventually return to pre-referendum levels.

As a Tory victory has been widely predicted, I am not even sure it would affect Sterling should it happen. The decision to hold an election is looking almost as daft as that of holding a simple majority plebiscite last year.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

I am selfish with you , the Baht - quid needs to improve .

Not sure it is being selfish at all.  If it is then I am guilty of wanting a stronger pound as well.  My wife and I send money to support a charity in Thailand and my business involves buying Thai goods in sterling.  However I don't think that a Tory win will make any difference to the pound apart from maybe a twenty four hour blip.  Happy to be wrong on that though.

6 hours ago, baboon said:

Let's hope Theresa May's day is ruined...

I doubt the Tories will have less than a majority, but I doubt they will gain many more seats either.

Going to be a pointless exercise other than reducing the SNP presence in the House, she will have the same problem, too many Tory backbench dissenters. 

13 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I doubt the Tories will have less than a majority, but I doubt they will gain many more seats either.

Going to be a pointless exercise other than reducing the SNP presence in the House, she will have the same problem, too many Tory backbench dissenters. 

Hey, Basil! Night off? You are looking great today ?

36 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Well if the Tories have a majority with reduced seats then May will have difficulties with her Brexit commitments.  Many of the Tory MPs were ardent remainers and will resist her attempts to push through a hard Brexit.  She really needs to hold onto the seats she has and add to them for her to achieve her goals in the timescale she has promised.

The worst case scenario is likely to be May not achieving a majority, triggering a coalition between Labour, Lib Dems and the SNP.  Given the commitment by the Lib Dems and the SNP to scupper Brexit and Corbyn only half heartedly in favour then....... Well you can work it out yourselves. 

I still doubt it will come to that but if it does then better break out the tin helmets!

Edited by dunroaming

I wonder if there will be any reports on the youth turnout. Maybe more voters in university areas and suchlike.  As I understand it, most of the polls use models that predict low youth turnout which would be in line with past elections. But since this might be a way of registering their displeasure with brexit, the raising of tuition fees, and the cutbacks to the NHS, maybe that will result in a higher turnout.

I wonder if there will be any reports on the youth turnout. Maybe more voters in university areas and suchlike.  As I understand it, most of the polls use models that predict low youth turnout which would be in line with past elections. But since this might be a way of registering their displeasure with brexit, the raising of tuition fees, and the cutbacks to the NHS, maybe that will result in a higher turnout.

I believe all the major pollsters, with the exception of Yougov, changed their methodology to reflect the low turn out of younger voters who didn't bother voting though claimed they would when polled.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I think you are right.  I actually think there will be a larger turnout than the 2015 election and if that means more young voters then that must help Labour

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I feel your pain!  However May's stance over a hard Brexit is one of the things that is keeping the pound low.

I don't have an answer to the problem but you have to say that it is self-inflicted.

Perhaps you would prefer that May said that she will accept any old deal?  When negotiating any deal, it makes sense for your opponent to understand that if you do not get a reasonable, acceptable deal, you will just walk away.

4 hours ago, Stupooey said:

You know you're becoming Thai when....(no. 573)....you vote for the party which promises you the biggest short-term gain.

It is clear that May's confrontational approach has angered the Europeans and will lead to the worst possible Brexit deal. Any other vote and hopefully Sterling will eventually return to pre-referendum levels.

As a Tory victory has been widely predicted, I am not even sure it would affect Sterling should it happen. The decision to hold an election is looking almost as daft as that of holding a simple majority plebiscite last year.

You think that the EU's demand for an exit fee of 60 to 100 billion euros BEFORE any discussions on a future trade deal takes place is non confrontational?

4 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Perhaps you would prefer that May said that she will accept any old deal?  When negotiating any deal, it makes sense for your opponent to understand that if you do not get a reasonable, acceptable deal, you will just walk away.

She didn't say that, she said "no deal is better than a bad deal" and she's right, why not quote correctly?

Edited by vogie

Just now, vogie said:

She didn't say that, she said "no deal is better than a bad deal" and she's right, why note quote correctly?

Perhaps you should read my comment again.  Surely 'no deal is better than a bad deal" is the same in essence as she  DID NOT SAY

"she will accept any old deal".

8 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

You think that the EU's demand for an exit fee of 60 to 100 billion euros BEFORE any discussions on a future trade deal takes place is non confrontational?

I agree with you that that is confrontational. But since May has made it very clear that the UK won't accept freedom of movement, unlike Norway and Switzerland, the odds of any result other than a hard brexit seem vanishingly small.

Edited by ilostmypassword

2 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Perhaps you should read my comment again.  Surely 'no deal is better than a bad deal" is the same in essence as she  DID NOT SAY

"she will accept any old deal".

Not the the same, Thai Visa rules, no shouting!

It is pretty stupid to come out with her statement about walking away with no deal even before the negotiations have started.  You never give away your position before sitting down at the table.  If she walks away with no deal then she will have failed and if she gives way over the key issues then she will have failed.  She has put herself in a very precarious position and handed the advantage to the other side.

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Quite probably - just covering their costs, and in line with what we were expecting (unless you happened to be a Sun or Mail reader). I was specifically referring to May's approach and postulating that a more measured one might produce better results.

t

2 hours ago, Orac said:

I believe all the major pollsters, with the exception of Yougov, changed their methodology to reflect the low turn out of younger voters who didn't bother voting though claimed they would when polled.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Pollsters also tend to exclude from the results people who say they have never voted before (not first time voters). This probably explains why they got the Brexit result so wrong, as a vast number of people voted who had never previously done so at elections.