Pattaya beach beautification expected to last until next April

webfact

Pattaya beach beautification expected to last until next April

4am.jpg

Picture: STV

PATTAYA: -- Landscaping on the beach at Pattaya is expected to proceed though the low and high seasons until next April.

Some local beach operators have criticized the plans saying that it will adversely affect their trade. They have said it should only be done in the low season.

The contractor Nong Nuch Landscape and Garden design Co. Ltd told Sophon Cable TV that the project which began on April 26th would be completed by April 25th next year.

Already many old and well established trees belonging to two species have been uprooted to make way for new ones. Some 48 million baht is being spent on the area known as Dong Tan - Pattaya.

Work is currently underway in the first of two zones. A 200 meter stretch from the World Beach Resort and Spa will be finished on September 16th.

Then work will begin for the next six months on a 250 meter stretch from the Welcome World Hotel to the Dong Tan police booth.

While most beach operators in the area welcomed the work being carried out some suggested that just working on it in the low season would be better for their businesses.

Some commenters on Facebook said it was regretful that many established trees had been uprooted for the sake of "progress".

Source: STV Pattaya

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-09

" Beautification is the process of making visual improvements to a person, place, or thing" (definition). Considering what has been done, and is being done currently, beautification is not the appropriate word. Beyond the poor visuals, eliminating comfort and beach protecting trees in ecosystem, this is one more example of patronage profits over needs or wants of tourists and citizens

I'm with you 100% on this Emster ...

I was there this morning for my daily 'sunrise walk', and I felt a pang of sadness, as I do every time I see this disaster zone since the works started ... to use the word 'beautification' for such a project is beyond the most cynical irony. This is nothing short of rape, and the 'artist rendition' of the project shows only boring and soulless concrete where there used to be sand and beautiful trees ... When, oh WHEN will Thais

1/ realize that their common patrimony is help in utter contempt by local authorities everywhere, and used whenever possible to build eyesores and the 'invisible' bucks that come with ?

2/ start to dare show  their outrage rather than just grumble in disgust, throw up their arms in despair and say 'there's nothing we can do, we're just the little guys and we have no power' ?

My dear Thai friends, you will  have the power when you decide to have it. But for that you need to get rid of those chains in your head and your heart, built in by 2500 years of misinterpreted and distorted Confucianism ...

Edited by Yann55

I've lived in Thailand for many many years now of which some of those years was in Pattaya... i've lost count of the number of times i've seen this same re-beautifucation carried out along the Pattaya waterfront.... you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out the scam.

Get rid of the hustlers from the beach and have regular police patrols 24/7 would be a start. Make sure the beaches are clean and free from rubbish and take care of the effluent discharge of sewage and other filthy water that flows out into the sea.

11 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

I've lived in Thailand for many many years now of which some of those years was in Pattaya... i've lost count of the number of times i've seen this same re-beautifucation carried out along the Pattaya waterfront.... you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out the scam.

whats the scam do tell  ??

I can't begin to tell you how sad this "beautification" project makes me feel. THE only peacefully quiet stretch of the beach will be lost forever. What a pity. I have been coming to Dongtan Beach for more than 20 years and loved the cool morning walks, friendly concessionaires. I had planned to buy a place near this beach one day -- now I am no longer planning to do that. I will visit this low-season once again but it might very well be my last visit there. I can't imagine (short of sinister reasons) why the city planners would want to destroy this jewel. So very sad! :sad:

Jomtien sunset.JPG

3 hours ago, thinkingman said:

At least they gave the contract to a company with expertise with plants.  Nong Nuch Gardens is first rate.

Nong Nuch Gardens is certainly beautiful but I'm not that impressed with their work on the Jomtien Second Road/Thappraya Road center median, which I think they did.  Spindly, anemic looking palms and a lot of the low shrubs are cheap, boring, non-flowering types.  Very little variety and very little imagination on display--also true for their work on Jomtien Beach.  I'm sure they were working with a specific budget but that doesn't mean they couldn't have put in some variety.  Pity Dongtan is now being ruined--especially when there are other needed things like basic sidewalk repairs everywhere that are being ignored..

I agree with you newnative ... Choosing Nong Nooch to do the job has, I believe, very little to do with aesthetics and very much to do with the fact that Nong Nooch belongs to some very rich and powerful people, nuff said ...

On 6/9/2017 at 0:53 PM, bangkokairportlink said:

Hello,

Can you explain me if they are talking about bringing sand to enlarge the beach ?

Or is it something else ? On which part are they doing beautification ?

Thanks.

They are going to do what they did in the rest of Pattaya. Cut down the 30+ years old trees that provided shade and cooling and replace them with skinny grey palm trees that provide no shade at all (they look the the photo in the op). Serves the vendors renting umbrellas I guess.

The whole this is such a shame. This is literally the last area in Pattaya that has these large trees.

Edited by wump

Just now, wump said:

They are talking about Dong Tan Beach which is between Jomtien and Pratamnak... nothing to do with Pattaya beach and certainly no traffic there.

Okey but i see on the photo they basically intend built a road and remove the trees.Look they meshed up Pattaya boulevard and i worry from seeing the photos they will screw this part up as well.