Shock UK exit poll suggests Britain's May fails to win majority

webfact

15 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I don't think so. I've looked at the breakdown in a number of the constituencies,and quickly came  to the conclusion,that May thought that the UKIP vote would automatically support her. She then stupidly and arrogantly took her eye off the ball, and included in her manifesto the so-called Dementia tax. The result, more than half of the UKIP vote moved over to Labour.

A large factor was that for once the young came out and voted.  Quite rightly because this is their future that May is screwing up.  Maybe everyone over the age of sixty five should be banned from voting?

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

A large factor was that for once the young came out and voted.  Quite rightly because this is their future that May is screwing up.  Maybe everyone over the age of sixty five should be banned from voting?

Why not kill them, look at the pension we would save?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Someone that was born in 1929, before the depression, would have been 38 in 1967 which is 50 years ago. Plenty of them voting over the past 50 years.

This is getting a bit silly and is off topic, so I'm not continuing this discussion.

I've already stated I refer to baby boomers, and explained that this means people born post war (therefore 18 in '63, 55 years ago) - and indeed, yes, let's stop this pointless circle of nitpicking.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Strangely I had the opposite thought: increase the voting age to at least 30 ( and 40 in Scotland).

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Ruth Davidson, the Tories did well in Scotland?

Yes they did and that was the protest voters who didn't want a second referendum.  Without that swing to the Conservatives the Tories would really be screwed.

May needed a wake-up call to show just how dissatisfied the British public really are.

It was arrogance, sheer arrogance. 

I don't know if it was arrogance, I am too far away and out of touch now to judge, but I do think it was bloody stupid.

The whole question of social care for the elderly and its funding needs examining ( I speak as someone who commuted much of my pension to fund my mother's care in dementia), but to alienate a core vote in this way has ensured that it will be kicked into the long grass for years to come, where it will lie, to be surrounded by sheep bleating "dementia tax" whenever anyone raises the topic. Should have been left on the back burner until Brexit was settled. Bloody fools.

12 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why not kill them, look at the pension we would save?

Steady on, that would wipe out the majority of the TV members in one hit!

12 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Strangely I had the opposite thought: increase the voting age to at least 30 ( and 40 in Scotland).

You mean the Scots live to be that old? :smile:

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Steady on, that would wipe out the majority of the TV members in one hit!

You mean the Scots live to be that old? :smile:

Naw, majority here is not British.

Let's look at the May screw-ups since becoming PM which may explain the result we have today

Making Boris Foreign Secretary

Announcing that she was favouring a hard Brexit and "No Deal is better than a bad deal" before the negotiations even started.

Sucking up to President Trump when everyone else was rejecting him

Continuing the pulling of resources for the NHS and the police

Back-tracking on calling a snap election

Proposing the hugely unpopular dementia tax

Not debating when everyone else did in the election campaign

That is just a small selection illustrating why people turned against her in huge numbers.  When you consider just how poor the opposition is, that makes it even more of a disaster

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

LePen rejected. Merkel hanging in there. Britain having second thoughts about Brexit. Trump's poll numbers at record lows. Has the fever finally broken, with the world finally coming to its senses? One can only hope and pray.

What brings you to the conclusion that the British have had second thoughts about Brexit. 

12 minutes ago, nontabury said:

What brings you to the conclusion that the British have had second thoughts about Brexit. 

According to the Figaro, George Osborne is quoted as saying "a hard Brexit is now in the dustbin (garbage can)." It only stands to reason that if the party spearheading Brexit loses seats in a referendum election, people are having second thoughts about the decision to exit the EU, doesn't it?

Edited by Gecko123

50 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

How do you know, that the young came out this time in larger numbers?

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I don't think that Britain has had second thoughts as much as this time people who didn't bother to vote in the referendum have now come out and voted.  If they had done that in the first place then the remainers would have won by quite a margin.  Some of the Brexiteers will have changed their minds now they can see the mistake but many will soldier on regardless.

Maybe this is the tide turning and we can all enjoy a sigh of relief if that is the case!

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

How do you know, that the young came out this time in larger numbers?

It is what all the commentators have been saying all night and the analysts are now confirming that.  Just watch the ongoing reporting all over the media.

Come on, the SNP won many more seats than all the other parties combined in Scotland. They went from 6 to 56 seats last time which was a one off.

That was in 2015, the tables have turned on the SNP for failing the Scottish electorate domestically.

Down to 35 seats is a clear bloody nose & Sturgeon knows it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

As if. It's the older generation in the UK that benefited from reams of freebies, as well as tracts of subsidised housing, a well funded NHS and the possibility of a liveable future state pension that will not be available to the youth of today.

That same generation systematically stripped all those benefits from future ones. Pretty much the definition of an entitled and selfish group to be honest, especially when they have the audacity to accuse less privileged generations of entitled behaviour.

Screw em, frankly. Glad to see the young trying to pull the drawbridge back down.

You seem to fail to realize. The older generation as you call them were young once too. When the older generation was young there were no benefits . The generation before them did not have any. The older generation created them for themselves and future generations.Poor leadership and governence destroyed these benefits. things like terrible immigration laws bringing in people who come in to the country contribute nothing and live off the system  sourcing out labour jobs  etc.

If the old generation was able to get every thing in place why then could the up and coming generations not maintain it.Because the up and coming felt entitled and would not put in the effort.Too soft of lives that was created by the older generation. They should have not made life so easy. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. The young saw no need to do any more than absolutely needed to be done. They made their bed and they sleep in it.

The older generation also lived in the rebuilding times after the world wars. When labour was paid well to get things back on track.Money was made by the working class and the working class were an asset. May be the pansy's of today's Uk should be prepared to fight for the right causes and perhaps.,go through a few hardships that go with a war then rebuild.Take PC and put it in the garbage where it belongs.

I do hope the young get proactive and do something for themselves mom and dad will be gone soon and then they will have no choice but to take responsibility for improving their own lives.More power to them. And if this election is the catalyst that's even better

Edited by lovelomsak

According to the Figaro, George Osborne is quoted as saying "a hard Brexit is now in the dustbin (garbage can)." It only stands to reason that if the party spearheading Brexit loses seats in a referendum election, people are having second thoughts about the decision to exit the EU, doesn't it?

It is not beyond the bounds of the possible that George Osborne may just have a bit an "agenda" where Theresa May and Brexit are concerned...

4 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

As if. It's the older generation in the UK that benefited from reams of freebies, as well as tracts of subsidised housing, a well funded NHS and the possibility of a liveable future state pension that will not be available to the youth of today.

That same generation systematically stripped all those benefits from future ones. Pretty much the definition of an entitled and selfish group to be honest, especially when they have the audacity to accuse less privileged generations of entitled behaviour.

Screw em, frankly. Glad to see the young trying to pull the drawbridge back down.

And fought the wars and paid their taxes and NI contributions. Oh, and wiped the young'uns asses, the ones Corbyn has been kissing.

Edited by jesimps

You mean the result that the Tories got 57 more seats than Labour?  I wish it were true and there was a re-vote but how will that happen when 326 is needed to win and the Tories with DUP have 328?

Such a small majority, when relying on another party to provide some of your votes, will be virtually impossible to manage for any length of time especially with a contentious issue like brexit on the table and a bunch of backstabbers lined up behind you from your own party.

Worth remembering what John Major faced with a similar European issue over the Maastricht Treaty where they had the 'stretcher vote' to try and get it over the line.

19 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It is what all the commentators have been saying all night and the analysts are now confirming that.  Just watch the ongoing reporting all over the media.

The commentators( as in the BBC) have got it wrong again. Let's hope that Parliament and the Bureucrats in Brussels also don't come to the wrong conclusion,the same as you  and other Remoaners have.

The voter turn out in the 2016 referendum was 72.2

The voter turn out in this General Election is 68.7 

This means the turn out is 3.5 less.Why is this, could it be that many people have been turned off by T.M's manifesto. Which controversely include the so-called dementia tax.

Perhaps it was the old who thought that their hard earned cash would be going to support their care. Or maybe the younger generation who thought that their inheritance would be squandered in supporting their parents/grandparents.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

So as predicted by many on TV.  I voted for the Lib Dems simply to unseat the local Tory candidate and many others here did the same. Mission accomplished!

But what does this hung parliament mean. ...

It means unless your local Tory MP was a total oxygen waster, your tactical vote was a waste of time.

I think the correct term is a Pyrrhic vicyory.

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

So , so happy a hard Brexit is going to be rolled back and quick - Brexmoaners better start getting used to it ! The people have spoken - again !

That would depend on how you interpret the result.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes.  For management and admin staff I think?

You see this is one of the key issues. The NHS are always asking for more but how is it spent? More money is required for modern facilities, equipment and drugs. But, standards are not as good as they should be. 

As I say, BIG money was provided during the last Labour period. More care should have been taken in how spending was managed.