Just Joined the "I Walked Away From It" Club

I started riding back in October 2015 on a new Honda CBR 150R, perfect starter bike for a 70 year old. I put on over 33,000 km since then until this past Wednesday.

While returning from my daily early morning run I was headed back into town and coming down a somewhat steep hill and hit a large oil patch.
No chance to either assess the situation and develop an exit plan.

Both the front and rear wheels came loose and I low sided to my left while the bike took off like it was shot from a cannon.

I slid about 3 -4 meters down the hill. Fortunately no vehicles behind me.

Meanwhile the bike did a couple of 360's (I saw it all perfectly from my position lying on the road) and it flew across the road into the other lane and hit a Toyota truck square on the front bumper.
Would have been a very bad situation if there had been other motorbikes there instead of the truck.

My head or rather helmet hit the tarmac. I felt the impact but my head was fine.

My left shoulder hit my left shoulder armor and the left leg of my pants took a bit of a shred but my left knee armor did it's job.

I literally got up off the road, kicked some bits and pieces of my bike off the road and went across to see the trunk driver. Cool guy. No problems except his front bumper needed 7k B of repairs. Done.
I had one bruise on my knee and some very minor shoulder stiffness. One lucky guy.
Another text book example of why you should wear all your gear, all the time.

I think I can get 10k B for my bike and will now decide what's next. I will ride again.

Please everyone, take a close look at the attached pic, and wear your gear.

BTW, I was only 3 km from home. Another stat validated.

Cheers, Headgame

P.S. My bike was charged with a 500 B fine for crossing the center line and hitting the truck. 

Crash Pic_6-7-17.jpg

Edited by Headgame

18 minutes ago, Headgame said:

I was headed back into town and coming down a somewhat steep hill and hit a large oil patch.
No chance to either assess the situation and develop an exit plan.

Yes you did if you saw it don't use the brakes.

20 minutes ago, Headgame said:

o problems except his front bumper needed 7k B of repairs.

You got ripped off.

22 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Another text book example of why you should wear all your gear, all the time.

Also know how to ride in Thailand.

A positive story and if it reminds one person to wear his gear and he has an accident the time you took to write this thread is worth while. 

As you clearly point out, your protective gear took the brunt of the punishment and an accident can happen anywhere at any time without any warning. 

Some think they can, but in truth you can't avoid 100% of accidents 100% of the time.

I was looking at bikes today simply as a measure of getting around when I don't want to be stuck in traffic in my car. This thread has made me think twice !!!... 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes you did if you saw it don't use the brakes.

Didn't. Wouldn't.

You got ripped off.

Really? How could you possibly know that?

Also know how to ride in Thailand.

Well, that's an ongoing process.

Edited by Headgame

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A positive story and if it reminds one person to wear his gear and he has an accident the time you took to write this thread is worth while. 

As you clearly point out, your protective gear took the brunt of the punishment and an accident can happen anywhere at any time without any warning. 

Some think they can, but in truth you can't avoid 100% of accidents 100% of the time.

I was looking at bikes today simply as a measure of getting around when I don't want to be stuck in traffic in my car. This thread has made me think twice !!!... 

I understand how it might give you pause.
I don't want my story to necessarily stop someone from riding.
It should stop me but I'm already researching a new bike.

OP l'm your age the 29th this month and been riding motor propelled bikes since 4 years old maybe like some of the young pups on here,  and like the guy in your post picture he said once when you get older you have to know your limitations. :biggrin:

Disagree that your right about a starter motorbike at 70 years old being CBR 150 me's think a Honda Wave would be better.

Motorcycling needs a lot more experience before hand IMO when younger for so many reasons that would take more than a post to explain no offence meant in my fist post glad your are OK. :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OP l'm your age the 29th this month and been riding motor propelled bikes since 4 years old maybe like some of the young pups on here,  and like the guy in your post picture he said once when you get older you have to know your limitations. :biggrin:

Disagree that your right about a starter motorbike at 70 years old being CBR 150 me's think a Honda Wave would be better.

Motorcycling needs a lot more experience before hand IMO when younger for so many reasons that would take more than a post to explain no offence meant in my fist post glad your are OK. :thumbsup:

Disagree. At least the CBR 150 has a clutch which the wave doesn't.A clutch is a whole lot faster in dis engaging the engine than a semi automatic.

Shit happens. Nobody is immune from accidents no matter how experienced. After 10 years motorcycling on big bikes I once hit a slippery manhole cover in the pouring rain on an unfamiliar road going about 40mph. Front wheel lost grip and before I could react I was down and sliding. I put it under the heading of the joys of motorcycling. Nobody is so smart or experienced on two wheels as to occasionally be unlucky and take a dive. We just have to hope that when it happens you won't slide under the wheels of another vehicle....esp something big and heavy.

Oily patch,  down the hill,  nasty,  glad you're okay.  What speed where you doing approximately...!  ?

And I assume there was a slight curve of some sort if the bike ended up on the other side,  no....? 

Edited by Agusts

50 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No offence taken.

I agree that starting earlier would have been preferable but my reality is, I started at 70.

I have discovered another passion later in life and for that I'm grateful.

I'll keep riding.

3 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Oily patch,  down the hill,  nasty,  glad you're okay.  What speed where you doing approximately...!  ?

And I assume there was a slight curve of some sort if the bike ended up on the other side,  no....? 

I was going around 45 and you're right, there was a curve to the left going downhill.

Blink of an eye. I'm fine, thanks.

9 hours ago, Denim said:

Disagree. At least the CBR 150 has a clutch which the wave doesn't.A clutch is a whole lot faster in dis engaging the engine than a semi automatic.

You miss my point a CBR 150 is no slouch good for 120 + down hill  :biggrin:  they don't START of people on the road in UK on 50 cc motorbike for no reason.

13 hours ago, Headgame said:

I was going around 45 and you're right, there was a curve to the left going downhill.

Blink of an eye. I'm fine, thanks.

Sheesh!

That IS A Mess for 45kms p/h.

I was back behind the local Kawasaki dealer a couple of months ago, walking past all the wrecks. A Z1000 and several ER6/Versys things. Could not believe the state of the things. Seems forks snap just below the bottom yoke if sneezed on.

They don't make stuff like they used to.

My Triumph had a 40 odd mph HIGHSIDE in the mid 90's. Could'nt ride it away 'cos the mag end cover was broken, otherwise it was bent handlebars, broken alloy footrest. Oh and a new paint job on the tank. Plenty of Brit bike and HD and Guzzi crashes seen, all relatively straight forward to repair.

They don't make stuff like they used to.

Glad the OP "walked away"...

3 hours ago, Namplik said:

45 km/h or 45 mph? 

45 kmh.

I always slow down on this hill because it's after a blind turn and there are always buses turning left into a hotel property. 

14 hours ago, Headgame said:

45 kmh.

I always slow down on this hill because it's after a blind turn and there are always buses turning left into a hotel property. 

Did you downshift a gear at the same time? 

10 minutes ago, Namplik said:

Did you downshift a gear at the same time? 

No, I just eased up on the throttle at the beginning of the curve just before the downhill portion began.

I ride (or rather rode) this route every day for a year and a half so I'm very familiar with where I downshift / brake, etc. 

You always read about how something like oil on the road can cause havoc for a bike rider. All I can say is that those reports are worth heading. I'm trying to work this event through in my head to determine what I could have done to avoid it. Haven't come up with any real answers yet.

14 hours ago, papa al said:

Get a MSlaz.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hadn't even considered the MSlaz.

I'm more or less down to the CBR 300R or the Y3 but always open to BM input.

If you are looking for a new bike you owe it to yourself to check out the Stallions dealer. I will be 70 next month and bought a Stallion Scrambler 400. Great bike. Engine is based on the old Honda XBR 500 single which is a big single with 4 valves. The new Stallion version is fuel injected. Very light for a medium size bike at 160kg. If you think a 400 is too big a bike they have some really nice 250cc bikes. The 400s which they have 2 models are around 117,000 and the 250s start around 75,000 baht. Here is a pick of my 400 and a photo of one of there 250 bikes. Very old school retro look.

IMGP0050.JPG

IMG_20170119_115613-001.jpg

1 hour ago, Headgame said:

You always read about how something like oil on the road can cause havoc for a bike rider. All I can say is that those reports are worth heading.

I'm trying to work this event through in my head to determine what I could have done to avoid it. Haven't come up with any real answers yet.

Obviously there's many more things for two wheeled riders to be aware of on road,  approaching blind bends could always reveal the unexpected.

Coming into contact with hazards on the road going over oil, diesel, gravel, wet mud, also water puddles how deep are they is somewhere between using no brake, no lean, keeping upright and hope your lucky stars for some luck. :biggrin:

Don't beat yourself up about what could you have done it was unlucky accident.

4 hours ago, Headgame said:

having ABS brakes is a good idea!

It sounds like your accident was pure bad luck but you were smart enough to wear the right gear. i've had a couple of accidents and i don't think i could've changed the result of them. I've had dozens of near misses, a few that if i had been 1/10th of a second further down the road would've been serious (sudden U-turns in front of me). I also started to learn on a CBR150, then went back to scooters for a several years. Even though the randomness of driver/rider behaviour in Thailand is scary, i still enjoy getting on the Ninja 300 and going for a ride.

11 hours ago, Headgame said:

Those 2 are race styled bikes.

Something more upright might be better.

Comfort, visibility.

Hit by a semi truck that ran a red light. The day they took the pins out I was riding again. Nothing was left of the pcx. Full riding gear full face helmet and riding jacket. My big insurance settlement 120,000 baht plus 40,000 for pcx and all bills paid including taxi rides for 3 months My arm was amputated held on by the skin, I'm pretty close to 100% with my arm 1.5 years later. It still hurts after working all day.

1497194198069.jpg.2f0d36bafd6a42c8fe199311357ac4d4.jpg1497194210877.jpg.6ffd06eb02548cc74e9780e4aa98c219.jpg1497194223000.jpg.59ef954448c6910183f384fd99e84d36.jpg