More carnage as six dead after "sleeping" minivan driver collides head on with old folk's pick-up

webfact

More carnage as six dead after "sleeping" minivan driver collides head on with old folk's pick-up

9pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SA KAEW: -- Six people are dead and a further 11 injured after a minivan transporting Vietnamese and Laotian workers rammed head on into a pick-up in Sa Kaew earlier today.

Daily News reported that the minivan veered into the oncoming lane and that the driver had probably fallen asleep at the wheel having been awake all night.

Khao Chakam police and Sawang Rescue services responded to the accident that happened at the Talat Mai market in Sa Kaew province.

Dead at the scene were Rapheephat Sukjit, 39, the driver of the van, and an unnamed 25 year old Vietnamese woman who was a passenger.

Both occupants of the pick-up were also dead - they were named as 67 year old Chaipithak Charoenjatuphat, the driver, and his wifePrimwara, 66.

Fourteen Vietnamese and Laotian nationals working in Thailand were injured and taken to hospital.

The van was heading for a border checkpoint in Chantaburi where the workers were hoping to extend their employment status in Thailand.

A police investigation is underway.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-13

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six killed, 11 injured in van and pickup crash in Sa Kaew
By The Nation

1ac7694ae9d9369bdc2e81c913325b30.jpeg

SA KAEW: --  Six people were killed and 11 injured in a crash between a van and a pickup truck in Sa Kaew’s Khao Chakun district early Tuesday.

Pol Captain Saneh Dej-supha, deputy inspector of Khao Chakun Police Station, said the accident happened at about 5.40am on Chanthaburi-Sa Kaew Road near the community market in tambon Khao Chakun.

Four people died at the scene and two other died at Khao Chakun Hospital, he said.

The van driver, Rapipat Sukkit, and a Vietnamese woman, were killed inside the van. 

The pickup driver, Chaipithak Charoenchatupat and his passenger, Pimwara Charoenchatupat, were killed inside the truck.

Saneh said the van was chartered to take 14 passengers, most of them migrant workers, from Bangkok to Chanthaburi’s Pong Namron district. 

He said the van crashed into a barrier on the road island and crossed the island and crashed into the truck on the other side.

Police suspect that the van driver fell asleep.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317949

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-13

Six died, 11 injured in head-on collision on Highway 317

1306007.jpg

KAEW: -- Six persons were killed and 11 others injured in a head-on collision between a commuter van and a pickup truck on Highway 317 from Srakaeo to Chanthaburi province before dawn today.

The killed included the driver and 3 passengers on the van and both driver and passenger on the truck.

The fatal incident happened in front of Khao Chagun market on the highway.

Witnesses told police that the commuter van ran over a traffic island into the opposite lane as the pickup truck was coming on its lane.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/six-died-11-injured-van-crash-highway-317/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-13

If only this Van had the GPS tracker it would have saved 6 lives. 

Must have been following the 80k speed limited and caused him to fall asleep.

Edited by wow64

2 minutes ago, DavoTheGun said:

What happened to maximum 12 People in Minivan I wonder!

Exactly, according to my sums 6 dead (  two from the pick up....R.I.P to all. ) and 11 injured comes to 17. Which means 15 in the Minibus.........

Get those vans off the roads! Put those drivers in mini buses, so they cannot go faster than 80 KPH. Also require them to maintain a drivers log, which should be checked periodically and by the RTP no the Army!

Well if these archaic requirements for "Visa Runs" were changed, thesis people would not have needed to be in that Van in the first place. How much energy, fuel, tires, wear & tear on the vehicles, and the roads is totally wasted by making hundreds of thousands of people travel to the countries borders every year. Ridiculous policy causing many deaths each year.

Better have them do their turnarounds at the local immigration, and charge accordingly to cover expenses, and make a very good profit.

Just drove from Tak  to Lampung at 100kph  4 of these crazy bastards passed me one came up behind me from no where when i was passing a truck lights flashing horn blasting i puleed back in he was gone in cloud of dust he had to be doing 130  those poor passengers

25 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Get those vans off the roads! Put those drivers in mini buses, so they cannot go faster than 80 KPH. Also require them to maintain a drivers log, which should be checked periodically and by the RTP no the Army!

Better still, install tachographs in all passenger carrying vehicles, with jail sentences for mis-use.

26 minutes ago, NoBrainer said:

Well if these archaic requirements for "Visa Runs" were changed, thesis people would not have needed to be in that Van in the first place. How much energy, fuel, tires, wear & tear on the vehicles, and the roads is totally wasted by making hundreds of thousands of people travel to the countries borders every year. Ridiculous policy causing many deaths each year.

Better have them do their turnarounds at the local immigration, and charge accordingly to cover expenses, and make a very good profit.

Up here for thinking!

Standby for the knee jerk reaction from Thai officials, along with new measures guaranteed to solve the problem. 

I guarantee you no new measure will include proper training and licensing of these van drivers and limits on the number of hours they may drive in a day.

Baghdad is dangerous because of Road Bombs but Bangkok has more Road Death because of minivan drivers and other reckless drivers than any other S.E  nation .

Number death attributed to road accidents far exceeds that caused by insurgents in the South.?

I am afraid that Thailand ranking as 1 of top 20 most dangerous places might improve and get to top 5?

41 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

Millions of Thai's with no work......and they need 

to import workers .........the reason???

Easier to extort.

Not complaining when paid under the minimum wage for 12h work a day.

Totally dependent on the mercy of employer.

Happy with 150 to 200 Baht per day.

Similar to many countries in the world.

Undercutting local wages with "willing" migrants from dirt poor countries.

31 minutes ago, ThomasHOL said:

And that why i perfer to rent a car and drive myself. 

Being in their own vehicle certainly didn't help the elderly Thai couple in the pickup that got obliterated here....

No one and nothing is safe from these kinds of driving idiots -- and the failure of the government to do anything to stop them.