Gunfire turns U.S. lawmakers' baseball practice into 'killing field'

webfact

Gunfire turns U.S. lawmakers' baseball practice into 'killing field'

By Sarah N. Lynch and Ross Colvin

tag-reuters-1.jpg

FBI technicians examine the outfield area of a baseball field for evidence where shots were fired during a Congressional baseball practice wounding House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA), in Alexandria, Virginia, U.S., June 14, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Theiler

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (Reuters) - U.S. representatives Ron DeSantis and Jeff Duncan had ducked out of baseball practice early on Wednesday when a middle-aged man in the parking lot asked them if the players in red shirts on the field were Republicans or Democrats.

"Republican," Duncan said before departing.

Minutes later, the man, rifle and handgun in tow, opened fire on the congressmen's teammates - Republican lawmakers gathered on a muggy morning near Washington to prepare for a charity ballgame.

"A killing field," U.S. Senator Rand Paul said in a televised interview, describing the scene in Arlington, Virginia.

"We were sitting ducks," said Representative Roger Williams.

Williams, the team coach, told reporters he was hitting ground balls when he heard what sounded like a car engine backfiring.

"He's got a gun! Run for cover," Williams heard next.

He dove into the dugout behind first base. Zack Barth, a staffer shot in the leg, ran in from the outfield and landed in Williams' arms.

Barth texted for help as more bullets flew. U.S. Senator Jeff Flake used his belt as a makeshift tourniquet to stop the staffer's bleeding, Williams said.

Taking cover behind home plate, U.S. Representative Mo Brooks saw a rifle pointing from a chain link fence behind the third base dugout.

A scream rang out from second base, Brooks said.

Steve Scalise, the No. 3 Republican in the House of Representatives, had been shot in the hip and fell to the ground. He left a trail of blood as he dragged himself to the outfield, seeking distance from the gunman who said nothing as he fired.

On her front porch just across the street from the field in a trendy, family-friendly neighbourhood, Reba Winstead heard a dozen shots.

"A bullet just came down my street,” she told an emergency dispatcher.

Police audio obtained by media recorded a flood of frantic calls: "Shots being fired ... We need medics ... Victim down in the baseball field.”

Alexandria police arrived at 7:12 a.m., about three minutes after the first emergency phone call reporting an active shooter. Members of the Capitol Police, serving as security detail to Scalise, were firing at the gunman.

By 7:14 a.m., the gunman, 66-year-old James Hodgkinson from the St. Louis suburb of Belleville, Illinois, was down. Later he died.

VIRGINIA-SHOOTING.jpg

(Additional reporting and writing by Letitia Stein; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-15

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Dagnabbit said:

In before a liberal blames Trump!

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Only by seconds. His poor ratings seem to be rubbing off on the GOP, as this fella was clearly none too happy with them.

Those politicians who turn their backs on U.S. democracy, rule of law, decency in favor of wealthy individuals and corporations ought not be surprised. Do they think their actions will not spark some reaction from Americans?  

I had the opportunity to watch the US evening news on one of the major networks.   There were 2 major shootings.   In San Francisco there was a shooting at a UPS center.   Quite a few killed.   It got about 30 seconds of coverage; not even enough to get the death toll.   

The remainder of the entire news was devoted to the shooting at the baseball practice, in which the only fatalities was the gunman.   

Killing field? Seriously? The hyperbole is ridiculous. Another mentally ill angry male went on a  shooting spree. Fortunately, he was the only who died. Much better outcome than the rampage by the crazed UPS worker on the same day as this, who murdered 3, or the  heartbreaking murders of 3 by the affable talented  kid Randy Stair at the  grocery store  where he worked, the week before.

The USA  is a country of violence and hatred, where angry, violent people all have easy access to  powerful firearms. #Sad # Bigly.

The shooter was a member of the resistance, a Bernie Sanders supporter, a Rachel Maddow fan, and a Trump hater who never got over the fact that Trump won the presidency.

The lesson to be learned from this is clear:  Trump won the presidency, GET OVER IT!

Had the shooter followed this advice, he would be alive today, and four innocent people would not have been injured.  BTW, the Congressman Scalise is in critical condition. 

Edited by mesquite

1 hour ago, selftaopath said:

Those politicians who turn their backs on U.S. democracy, rule of law, decency in favor of wealthy individuals and corporations ought not be surprised. Do they think their actions will not spark some reaction from Americans?  

Even Bernie Sanders denounced this act of violence, but you seem to blame the victim and intended victims.

I call on Thaivisa resistance supporters to denounce this act of violence!

And of course, to be clear, I denounce it vehemently.

21 minutes ago, PattayaJames said:

This video comes from Paul Joseph Watson, as associate of Alex Jones. Cleary he is a journalist with a very high standard of integrity.

Paul Joseph Watson (born 24 May 1982),[1][2][3] also known as PJW, is an English YouTube conservative personality, radio host, writer, and conspiracy theorist.[4][5][6][7] He is the editor-at-large of Infowars.com, an online publication that promotes conspiracy theories about American and international politics, and a contributor to Infowars' talk radio programme The Alex Jones Show, where he occasionally either hosts or co-hosts instead of or with radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Joseph_Watson

5 minutes ago, Rigby40 said:

With all the advocation of violence against Trump and people they don't agree with on the mainstream media, I'm not surprised by this at all.

This is just as foolish as blaming Donald Trump for this episode of violence. You could just as easily and foolishly make the argument that if Trump hadn't behaved in the antagonizing way that he has, this guy wouldn't have gotten so angry that he tried to kill people.  Such nonsense! 

Edited by ilostmypassword

3 minutes ago, Rigby40 said:

With all the advocation of violence against Trump and people they don't agree with on the mainstream media, I'm not surprised by this at all.

I agree its terrible isn't it?

Donald Trump Suggests ‘Second Amendment People’ Could Act Against Hillary Clinton

6 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

This is just as foolish as blaming Donald Trump for this episode of violence. You could just as easily and foolishly make the argument that if Trump hadn't behaved in the antagonizing way that he has, this guy wouldn't have gotten so angry that he tried to kill people.  Such nonsense! 

Wrong. Donald Trump hasn't called for violence against his political opposition while people on the MSM have. In addition to that you have celebrity upon celebrity advocating for violence against Trump and his supporters. Everything ranging from an old hag of a singer wanting to blow up the white house to a video of a  mummy look-alike holding Trump's severed head.

You're only fooling yourself here.

The left "resistance" has been advocating violence and assassination for months.  There will soon be a point of no return.  And I know which side I will put my money on.  Just like all those masked cowardly antifas who crumbled, screamed, and ran when somebody finally decided to punch back, these left wing promoters of assassination are going to learn that the other side outguns them and has the training and organization.  Not to mention that it is in the "urban" areas that the promoters of assassination live.  It will be real easy to choke off their city strongholds from food, water, medicine and everything else that is transported into them by truck. They'll be eating each other in a week.

3 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I agree its terrible isn't it?

Donald Trump Suggests ‘Second Amendment People’ Could Act Against Hillary Clinton

Things sometimes work both ways. These Washington D.C. politicians just learnt the fear that those Sandy Hook school kids felt. Their reaction to those kids dying was despicable. I'm trying to find some sympathy in my heart for these armed police guarded political guys. It's tough when we know their voting records on gun control are dictated by the 2nd Amendmentist's special interest lobbyists. So what is the NRA saying about this? The best I can do at this time is have some sympathy for the hurt police just doing their jobs. 

7 minutes ago, Usernames said:

The left "resistance" has been advocating violence and assassination for months.  There will soon be a point of no return.  And I know which side I will put my money on.  Just like all those masked cowardly antifas who crumbled, screamed, and ran when somebody finally decided to punch back, these left wing promoters of assassination are going to learn that the other side outguns them and has the training and organization.  Not to mention that it is in the "urban" areas that the promoters of assassination live.  It will be real easy to choke off their city strongholds from food, water, medicine and everything else that is transported into them by truck. They'll be eating each other in a week.

How did the Bundy boys do in Oregon?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/27/us/oregon-armed-group-arrest-bundy.html?_r=0

14 minutes ago, Rigby40 said:

Wrong. Donald Trump hasn't called for violence against his political opposition while people on the MSM have. In addition to that you have celebrity upon celebrity advocating for violence against Trump and his supporters. Everything ranging from an old hag of a singer wanting to blow up the white house to a video of a  mummy look-alike holding Trump's severed head.

You're only fooling yourself here.

Were you on a deserted island during the campaign?

http://time.com/4203094/donald-trump-hecklers/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/us/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton.html

Trump has done much to increase the political temperature, by appearing to condone or even encourage violence during the campaign. His words now count for very little.

1 minute ago, pegman said:

Yes I'm aware of that one. This happened a couple times relatively early in his campaign. 

That second one is really just grasping at straws come on.

Funnily enough while Trump was on record saying these things once or twice during his campaign, it was the peaceful loving tolerant liberals who were causing riots and assaulting people at his rallies the last 1-1.5 years.

So even though Trump jokingly asked his supporters to do this at one point, for every video of them actually attacking someone at an event, which is rare, you'll find 100 videos of 'peaceful' 'tolerant' liberals attacking Trump supporters. And Clinton/Bernie never even called for attacks!

That's the scary thing here, anti-Trump liberals don't even need to answer a call to violence, they find it within themselves to do these disgusting acts of violence in the name of their political ideology. So, maybe you guys are right. Thanks, you guys have helped me change my mind.

47 minutes ago, pegman said:

Things sometimes work both ways. These Washington D.C. politicians just learnt the fear that those Sandy Hook school kids felt. Their reaction to those kids dying was despicable. I'm trying to find some sympathy in my heart for these armed police guarded political guys. It's tough when we know their voting records on gun control are dictated by the 2nd Amendmentist's special interest lobbyists. So what is the NRA saying about this? The best I can do at this time is have some sympathy for the hurt police just doing their jobs. 

And there you have it. A post that not only justifies an act of political assassination but one that even seems to find it a proper retribution because the targets were Republicans.  

6 minutes ago, Usernames said:

And there you have it. A post that not only justifies an act of political assassination but one that even seems to find it a proper retribution because the targets were Republicans.  

Np justification at all in his post.

1 hour ago, Usernames said:

Please, do tell us of all of your combat training and experience....

Edited by WaywardWind

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No justification at all in his post.

The poster you responded to supports violent retribution, not the rule of law, other Trump supporters encourage intolerance and violence on many occasions, including the head of the idiocracy, Trump. The lack of thought concerning consequences is astounding.

Edited by simple1