Thailand to launch new 10 year multiple entry visa for over 50s

rooster59

14 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

Must the three million in the bank be in one name only and can the three million be spread across multiple accounts?

I don't know about the multiple accounts question.

But if past Immigration practice is any indication, the money definitely would have to be in an account or accounts ONLY in the name of the visa applicant, and not shared with anyone else.

2 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

What exactly are the certain conditions that allow the Baht 3m to be reduced to Baht 1.5m? There is nothing related to this in the post just a mention of "certain conditions"?

That detail has been explained in later posts after the OP...

After the initial year, a portion of the banked funds can be spent only on categories of things approved by the Thai government, such as buying a condo here, buying a vehicle here, tuition and medical expenses, presumably here.

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

You would not be allowed to work in Thailand.

"Foreigners are not permitted to work while staying in Thailand on the visa"

Just like with the Retirement Visa/Extension. You can work outside of the country, just not inside of it.

Are you completely sure about that? Or is it them not caring and thus it is okay. 

The never cared years ago if you worked 28 On and 28 Off and came to Thailand without a Visa on your Off Days. But today you will be questioned a lot if you keep doing this. 

Next time you leave Thailand check out the new Entry/Exit Cards on the back. Where they ask how much money you make. 

9 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Wrong friend. I got a quote last year from a Thai company and with a very big deductable included my cover here excluding inpatient cover would have been 3 times my international cover. The reason is simple they hit you with extra premiums due to higher than 25 BMI. So instead on paying B 54 000 for Thai cover I got US cover for B 17 000. My estimate is to get yourself covered will cost you more than B 120 000 that is if you can get cover. But try and let us know. By the way they only said what the price of the visa was and not for the re-entry permit which they could load on top of it. You must also bring in the cost of renewal at 5 years. Sit back first and see what happens and then do calculations. 

Hi,

I thought I read the headline as "Thailand to launch new 10 year multiple entry visa for over 50's"?

Must be different on your edition.

And I can,t understand your math.  Your numbers are for what time period?  B54,000/17,000 ($1600/$500) per month or year?

let us all know where you are getting insurance for $500/year.

As noted I am paying $1500 year for $300,000/5000 no outpatient at 70 yr old.   Coverage in any/all countries.

Also there are ways to get your BMI down.

And please dont you call me "friend".  You ain't my friend and based on your level of literacy and your attitude, I dont want to be called friend by you.

have a nice day.

Edited by Juan B Tong

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Such rules only relate to employment within Thailand. They never care about what you may be doing elsewhere.

Are you sure about that? I read that it said you can't work while living in Thailand. It did not say you can't work in Thailand. 

After all it is a Retirement Visa. So I gather this is for people who are Retired and thus not working anymore. I am sure you are right about them not caring right now, but no caring doesn't make it legal. They didn't care if you came here 6 times a year without a Visa, but they sure do now. So I would be very careful for anything about them not caring right now. 

10 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Yeah, those extra 8 or 9 visits to immigration over a 10 year period to extend your stay are surely worth such a small amount of money :-)

Have to report every three months regardless.

But the bit I find incredibly dull witted is - "Health insurance provided by Thai company, Outpatient coverage minimum 40,000 baht, Inpatient coverage not less than 100,000 thousand baht."

If you have 3 million sitting in a Thai bank why the hell would you need 100k of Health insurance provided by Thai company, do they worry you won't be able to afford 100K in medical bills or 40,000 baht in outpatient expenses?   :whistling:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Have to report every three months regardless.

But the bit I find incredibly dull witted is - "Health insurance provided by Thai company, Outpatient coverage minimum 40,000 baht, Inpatient coverage not less than 100,000 thousand baht."

If you have 3 million sitting in a Thai bank why the hell would you need 100k of Health insurance provided by Thai company, do they worry you won't be able to afford 100K in medical bills or 40,000 baht in outpatient expenses?   :whistling:

I think this previous post sums things up nicely....

You need only 40k/100k coverage OPD/IPD. This is likely cleverly calculated, as this coverage is way too low for any treatment, on the other hand also so low, that nobody would go to court and sue. So insurances can just pocket the money without any payout in case of emergency.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

then the requirements to have the funds in a Thai bank would not have to be met if the visa was applied for in the home country and the applicant had sufficient funds in a bank there

You can set up everything ,including bank account from your own country.

13 hours ago, nev said:

Such a shame they are only target the rich and not the average working class.

rich ...and stupid..Who would be stupid enough to block 3M baht on a current or saving account where you lose money at they end because of the inflation !!

I'm sure if you have the 3 M in mutual funds it will not count, the same shit I have to do for the 800,000 baht every year: sell funds or stocks and leave the money with a ridiculous interest for 3 months...But here it seems it would be much more than 3 months...and 3 M baht...total nonsense...

You would lose, so in fact it woud cost you at least 1 or 2% per year on this amount...make the calculation..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The visa was described as "multiple entry". Therefore a re-entry permit should not be required.

It is entirely true that the cost of a re-entry permit (3900B for a multiple) would have to be added to the cost of a retirement extension for comparison purposes, assuming that the person in question actually wants to come and go often as I mentioned.

Not to mention filing a new TM30 every time you exit and re-enter the country...

Thai people and geography has always been 2..

They don't even know that Belgium  and Luxembourg are 2 high revenue/GDP countries at least similar OR HIGHER than the one listed and that Belgium (and Luxembourg) are located between France, Netherlands, Germany, and UK ..Maybe too small countries ?

Only one question as we heard all this last year.

Will the current visa "retirement extension of stay" still be available?

As far as I can see this is just for the wealthy that can afford tie up millions of baht with no interest in a Thai bank. It will be as popular as a python in the bed sheets I would think.

• Like 2

It is disgusting these policy maker will never learn, Why one should put money in Thai bank and can not withdraw for visa even married to Thai Lady, really shame on policy maker. I married to a Thai Lady three Yrs ago And as a India have a Indian visa for life as a OCI card After two Yrs married to Foreigner An Indian  origin person can apply for a life time visa for His or Her partner with no money deposit or any sort of guarantee, Which I got for my wife three months ago. She can do work open a business but land etc all can be on Her name alone. wake up- wake up Thai immigration Policy maker. try to get bit real .

• Like 2

16 hours ago, quandow said:

Aimed at lazy folks with too much money and no sense at all.

Please do tell, where is your line for "folks" having too much money? 

Also, it's not "lazy" to want as few hassles as possible in one's life. I'm happy to pay for convenience -- at least up to a point. It's fine if you're not, but don't fool yourself that you have more "sense" than those who choose a different way.

Edited by HerbalEd