Resetting DNS server

Minnie the Minx

What issues are you having that someone is suggesting manually setting DNS entries?

Usually, DNS (Domain Name System, the service translating internet domain names to IP addresses) is provided by your Internet Service Provider, and the working addresses delivered when you connect to your service or router.

The ISP provided servers should work fine. Though some people will choose to use other servers to improve speed, or even gain access to geo-locked content.

When you utilize a VPN, the software will usually adopt the VPN Server's submitted DNS when initiating the connection, but some VPN connection utilities will keep or augment the devices current DNS entries ...creating issues sites that test for geo-location anomalies to deny service. 

You can always manually set the DNS IP addresses that are conveyed to connecting devices from your home router, or even manually set them directly on the device (though doing so directly on a portable device can wreck havoc when you travel and connect to other networks).

So your options are:

• Log into the web config of your home router and find the DNS entries and set them from Automatic to Manual and specify two or more DNS servers to use for all connecting devices (LAN and WiFi).
  • Open the Network Connection setting on the device itself and specify manual DNS entries there.

Hi folk,

I am using the DNS servers from Opendns.com. Some ISP´s does block Websites by IP and/or by DNS. With my own VPN server I am using the google DNS 8.8.8.8

You need to be sure your VPN provider does send his DNS, Google DNS, Opendns or what ever to your VPN client. If not you could still having issues with blocked websites, cause blocked by the ISP DNS.

In windows you can check easy using the command box and enter

ipconfig/all

Linux: ifconfig

Cheers

openvpn.PNG

Edited by skiller