Local store in countryside named ‘messiest shop in Thailand’

snoop1130

Local store in countryside named ‘messiest shop in Thailand’

By Coconuts Bangkok

64512.JPG

Photo: Sanook

A local shop in Phitsanulok province, about six hours from Bangkok, has been nicknamed “the messiest shop in Thailand” by locals, who insist it is the epitome of “organized clutter.” Despite the fact that what you came to buy is generally buried in a mountain of other goods, you can simply tell the owner what you need and he will immediately find it for you, they say.

While Manu Panich, a local store selling everything from tables and chairs to mannequins, gas stoves and hardware tools, has been operating for a decade, it’s unorganized glory got its first taste of nationwide attention today with a story in Sanook.

The shop’s owner, 54-year-old Ari Gengpanich, said that when he first opened his shop, delivery men would just pile up the products. The situation must have suited him, because ever since, he has simply allowed the clutter to continue accumulating.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/photos-local-store-countryside-named-messiest-shop-thailand/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-6-22

Bower birds are everywhere,

my laundry looks like platinum market 

my wife is the same, can find what she is looking for in an instant,

my self not so , (a mans look ) I just look through the door and think this 

is not good, "darling where is my shirt" I walk away and in a very few seconds the garment 

I require is given,  how people can hoard and find, is amazing , my old platoon  sergeant would 

be blowing his fuse to a new height if he saw that shop, let alone my laundry.

I live near a small town in the sticks and there was a small electrical supply shop that was one unit wide and was exactly like that.  If you asked the lady that ran it she could always find what you wanted either in the piles in the front or in the back room.  She finally built a new large facility out on the highway and even though there are rows and rows of shelves you can't get near them because of the piles in the aisles.  If I tell her what I want she is always able to find it.  But her son is now helping her and when I ask him he takes his head out of his "smart" phone and  he searches for a few seconds and then responds "mai mee" and goes back to texting or whatever..  If she happens to be around and I ask her, low and behold the part appears.

" you can simply tell the owner what you need and he will immediately find it for you, they say. "

Try that at Home Pro or Big C.... salespeople clueless about what they have or don't. Recall looking for a bike light: "No hab". I go off, find what I wanted, come back "Hab".

3 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

" you can simply tell the owner what you need and he will immediately find it for you, they say. "

Try that at Home Pro or Big C.... salespeople clueless about what they have or don't. Recall looking for a bike light: "No hab". I go off, find what I wanted, come back "Hab".

Try asking in Thai back home... "no hab" often means "i dont understand you", which is not unusual for a simple worker like those...

I love the fact that I can go into a shop which looks like an explosion in a parts factory looking for a mysterious rubber thingy off the water pump. The old dear behind the counter will look at it, vanish, rummage around for five minutes and re-appear with the exact part complete with original Honda branding, then charge me 50p (and think she's ripping me off, a local would have been charged 20p).

Photo is of the "Bearings, Pulleys, Cogs and Sprockets" shop (they have 2 and 3 blade boat props too). Once upon a time we had places like this in the UK. I suspect they're all gone now forced out by the big boys who have to order every part you need 1f641.png

Sorry about the image quality, it was rather gloomy in amongst the pulleys and sprockets.

12985573_1748305782052404_42156732902139

Every one should have one of these shops near them.

Mine is run by a very nice lady that speaks a little English

Never let me down yet, even had a bladder tank for my Hitachi water pump and I only when in there to ask where I might get one :thumbsup:    

We have a shop like this in Sattahip. How the good lady owner finds anything is a mystery to me. Buy a pair of windscreen wiper blades. she looks at the car, finds the blades, removes the old ones and fixes the new. Same as the service we had when I was a sprog way back when in England.

Once upon a time about forty years ago I had an Austin A35 which had indicator arms that flicked out from the door pillar and lit up to let traffic know you were about to make a turn. All other cars had flashing lights for the past 15 years. The indicator arm stopped working and spare parts had been discontinued years before. I had to resort to hand signals until one day I called in to a remote garage and mentioned this problem to the owner as I paid for fuel. He disappeared out the back and returned a few minutes later with exactly the right part. The price was 12s 6p (twelve shilling and sixpence) on the sticky label and still in it's original packaging.  We converted the price to decimal and I paid the 62p (rounded down). 

42 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Once upon a time about forty years ago I had an Austin A35 which had indicator arms that flicked out from the door pillar and lit up to let traffic know you were about to make a turn. All other cars had flashing lights for the past 15 years. The indicator arm stopped working and spare parts had been discontinued years before. I had to resort to hand signals until one day I called in to a remote garage and mentioned this problem to the owner as I paid for fuel. He disappeared out the back and returned a few minutes later with exactly the right part. The price was 12s 6p (twelve shilling and sixpence) on the sticky label and still in it's original packaging.  We converted the price to decimal and I paid the 62p (rounded down). 

In those days if you had 12s 6d you could take your girlfriend to the pictures, share a portion of fish and chips on the way home, and still have enough change for a packet of 5 Park Drive and a box of matches.

:smile:

6 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

What a shambles. Looks like the sort of shop PM Prauyut would run if he had one to run.

I think shambles were meat markets in Biblical times but very discriptic of these places. There is a pharmacy run by a Chinese family way up here , and if you show a bit of packaging or old label to the boss ( cant speak English ) he goes off lifts stuff out the way if this is no good he looks up what you need on his pc and goes off once more moving stuff about, always comes back with the " Knew we had some somewhere " look.

Have you not heard of the Chinese philosophy called "Tao".  This shop owner must be a practicing Taoist. The beauty is in the chaos. From the Chaos comes the system, that's why he could find what you ask for. He knows the system among the Chaos.

"When the pupil is ready, the master appears" ( from Tao Te Ching - the Taoist book of The Way.)

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

They are 150 Quid a pop now.

Not quite but out of stock anyway

TRAFFICATOR LUCAS SF 80 RSTRD.

code: RD7078
£120.00

( £144.00 inc. VAT)
ITEM OUT OF STOCK    |  THIS ITEM IS NOT CURRENTLY IN STOCK.

Back on topic there are many shops in Buriram similar but not so messy as the one in the picture. These guys must have a weird filing system and how on earth would you do a tax audit I wonder.

Slightly off topic again.

Who remembers when motorways first opened in the UK and cars with those pop out trafficators would have both left and right side sticking out because the air pressure at those faster motorway speeds would stop them from dropping back down again after being switched off.

Cars coming off the motorway would all look like they had yellow ears.

I was a lot younger then and still had some imagination. :smile:

10 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

...as long as he knows where the products are stored.....

Exactly :biggrin:

Reminds me of a German TV series about a used car parts supply.

The "brain" always knew where to dig.

The difference of this shop to Amazon warehouse is the fact that a brain and not a computer knows where stuff is stored.

It's called chaotic storage warehouse (no joke).

stuff not asked for is at the bottom of the pile........

and whats the name of "the German TV series about a used car parts supply. "   is there a link somewhere ?  or youtube ?

My mess is just a mess , no excuse , and I often go buy another tool because I cannot find the old tool which is laying around here "somewhere"