Shock horror tactics employed to stop under fifteens driving to school on motorcycles

webfact

8 hours ago, jvs said:

All good and well but what is the alternative?This is a problem not easy to solve,these kids do not think about death at this age,did you?

If they do not allow them to enter the school yard on a bike without a license and a helmet they will just park on the street.

If they somehow could force them to all take a school bus they would get on the bike as soon as they get home.

The answer?Maybe the police should do their job a little better?

I see young kids everyday riding bikes with a death wish.

The parents might like to accept responsibility first of all, by teaching their kids right and wrong, and reminding themselves that driving machines that their kid isn't strong enough to properly control - especially when overloaded with other passengers - is actually extremely dangerous as well as illegal. But we all know that Thais simply don't care and are happy to play Russian roulette.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will never stop it,as the parents are mostly to lazy to take the kids to school,or with work commitments they cant, so they think the sensible thing to do is teach junior to ride a bike and send them off to school on it, my son never wanted a motorbike, 3 of his school friends were killed on bikes, put him off completely. when he was 18 he passed his driving test and i got him a car as he wanted to drive to school, and guess what the principal would not allow students to take a car into school. I went to see the principal and asked why, she said not enough parking for cars, so i said you let 500 kids ride motorbikes in here everyday and have parking for them and most have no licences and no helmets, and my son has a valid licence and there is no room for him.Lets just say she would not answer me! 

'' driving to school on motorcycles ''......... they drive every day of the week throughout the year for crying out loud.

Exhaust silencers with the baffles poked out to make as much noise as possible much to the annoyance of the villagers. The bikes can be heard for 2 km.  The village headmen in this area turn a blind eye perhaps because of a headman being killed recently when confronting a rider's family.

As usual the police do nothing. Parents don't give damn, Perhaps the PM should address the problem of underage motorcyclists , order the police to take action against the parents and the school heads for allowing the kids to ride and park on the school grounds..... Trying to stop a Lamsing  dancer's pelvic thrusts obviously has a far higher priority than kids risking their necks on motorcycles.

'Even though it is illegal there has been a big rise in recent years of children aged 10-14 dying on motorcycles ...' I'm in no hurry to go ... but if it's illegal, I'll be sure to hang on that much longer.

'They set up a damaged motorcycle, some fake blood, an outline of a dead student, a book bag and scattered books to shock students and their parents into changing their behavior.' Some hope unless the RTP does its part ... which means getting off its collective a___e and enforcing the law.

'In 2015 alone 943 deaths were reported among under 15s on the roads. Of these 575 or 61% were in the 10-14 age group and of those 378 died as a result of riding motorcycles.' No doubt down to their following the example of the numerous halfwits who ride motorcycles 'legally'.

1 minute ago, Humpy said:

'' driving to school on motorcycles ''......... they drive every day of the week throughout the year for crying out loud.

Exhaust silencers with the baffles poked out to make as much noise as possible much to the annoyance of the villagers. The bikes can be heard for 2 km.  The village headmen in this area turn a blind eye perhaps because of a headman being killed recently when confronting a rider's family.

As usual the police do nothing. Parents don't give damn, Perhaps the PM should address the problem of underage motorcyclists , order the police to take action against the parents and the school heads for allowing the kids to ride and park on the school grounds..... Trying to stop a Lamsing  dancer's pelvic thrusts obviously has a far higher priority than kids risking their necks on motorcycles.

'Trying to stop a Lamsing  dancer's pelvic thrusts obviously has a far higher priority than kids risking their necks on motorcycles' Not to mention everyone else's necks.

The sun came out and the authorities thought What can we do today? i know make people aware it is illegal to ride bikes under the age of 15 We all know they do it Are we going to stop them NO? Will the police stop them NO? Ok we did our good deed today Lets get back inside before it starts to rain.That is how far this will get Bit like the law where pick-ups are not allowed to have people in the back of them Its the law they are not allowed to do it but they still do

The Bs goes on and on

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Schools should organise a trip to the morgue, so the kids can see what actually happens to a body in a fatal accident. I am still stunned at how young some of the kids I see riding around are, and they all seem to think the idea is to go as fast as possible. They are not immortal and the faster they understand that, the safer the roads will become.

Some temples in Bangkok used to do this back in the day...

50 minutes ago, retarius said:

Can someone tell me why there are no checkpoints outside school at entering and leaving times? Why are motorcycles not impounded? What are the school authorities doing? Nothing apparently

because the police don't get a great wage either and their kids probably have to use the motorbike to get to school as well.

7 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

Some temples in Bangkok used to do this back in the day...

I showed a website to my step daughter showing head injuries through not wearing a crash helmet, made no difference, ''I don't drive far papa''

40 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

because the police don't get a great wage either and their kids probably have to use the motorbike to get to school as well.

I showed a website to my step daughter showing head injuries through not wearing a crash helmet, made no difference, ''I don't drive far papa''

You can't fix stupid. Don't even waste your breath.

8 hours ago, starky said:

Thats it! some of those old fogeys on here must of had the most boring childhood wrapped in their safe, perfect, risk free little bubbles.I was riding minibikes at 6 and full size trail bikes as soon as my feet could touch the ground @9 years old, me dear old pop used to let me drive the car around the empty parking lot at the supermarket when I was 10. I got no problem with kids on motorcycles give them the right safety gear and keep them away from main roads/ highways. Its not like they have a lot of choice, very easy to say dont do it when most here can so easily afford a car. 

It did not take long before the apologists had to chime in and justify this road carnage madness. Why dont the parents drive the kids to school on motorbikes.

1 hour ago, brling said:

It did not take long before the apologists had to chime in and justify this road carnage madness. Why dont the parents drive the kids to school on motorbikes.

I'm not apologising for anything you goose. Clearly stating that as young bloke I rode motorcycles as did many of my friends and never had a problem with it. Being as this is a public forum I am allowed to express my opinion in anyway I desire. If the parents were riding the motorcycle there would still be accidents then you would be screaming about having children on motorcycles at all, which as I said they still wouldn't really have much choice in the matter as it is the primary form of transport here and throughout most developing nations.

13 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What is the need for this?  The answer is easy... any children driving a motorbike to school should have their bike confiscated... school report the child parents to police... police fine parents and give warning more serious punishment if happens again. 

Why won't they do this?!!!

In my village I have seem really young kids about 10 years old.. driving motorbikes.. and of course NEVER any helmets! 

I was about to write exactly the same. Couldn't agree more!

Nice try , I will give them points for that , but tomorrow it's back to normal . Poor Thais can't afford real helmets , and the kids need to go to school . Bikes are the only solution for many,  If the school or the police stop the kids from riding a bike they will just stay home. 

I seen  morgue in my teens and a real dead bodyas well,  it made the whole class know that

when you die, you are gone, there is no reset button in real life.  It was part of our drivers education

class. We were also taken to a real accident scene where a whole family had died, that was also a

very sober lesson for us high school students. We had a know it all in the class who found our at the

scene that it was his aunt and uncle who had died at the car scene, after that he was way more

human,  and smartened up that day.  Helmet laws are enforced in Canada for riding bicycles, ATV,s

and Motorcycles and off road machines. Very necessary.

Geezer

21 hours ago, jvs said:

All good and well but what is the alternative?This is a problem not easy to solve,these kids do not think about death at this age,did you?

If they do not allow them to enter the school yard on a bike without a license and a helmet they will just park on the street.

If they somehow could force them to all take a school bus they would get on the bike as soon as they get home.

The answer?Maybe the police should do their job a little better?

I see young kids everyday riding bikes with a death wish.

It starts with the parents not the police.

21 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What is the need for this?  The answer is easy... any children driving a motorbike to school should have their bike confiscated... school report the child parents to police... police fine parents and give warning more serious punishment if happens again. 

Why won't they do this?!!!

In my village I have seem really young kids about 10 years old.. driving motorbikes.. and of course NEVER any helmets! 

Because this is Thailand and you can't do anything to hinder the families going about their daily lives....
3 or 4 on a bike is perfectly acceptable to most Thais, it's called bike sharing as is 10 people in the back tray of a pick-up

jumping red lights because you just can't sit & wait

crossing rail tracks when the barriers are down because the train isn't in sight yet

going the wrong way up the wrong side of the road to save waiting time at a junction

it all comes down to mentality... and you ain't never going to change that with all the laws in the land !!!

T.I.T

If the law is to be enforced, those enforcing it better have viable alternative transport available. There will already be considerable ill feeling in the community as people are forced to change their attitudes to children riding. If they are left in the position where their children can't get to school it be will be much higher.

In Oz, there is considerable traffic congestion around schools before and after hours as parents drop off and pick up. That won't be the same here, as many fewer non-working parents, and a lot fewer parents have cars.

Nice try , I will give them points for that , but tomorrow it's back to normal . Poor Thais can't afford real helmets , and the kids need to go to school . Bikes are the only solution for many,  If the school or the police stop the kids from riding a bike they will just stay home. 

So let em stay at home, with their Smart Hone that costs more than a Helmet.Poor Thais my arse, if they want something they get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, berybert said:

Sorry i do not agree,if the police would do their job the parents would not allow the kids to take the bike.When the kids are racing around the parents are out working to pay for the bike.

I do see what you mean,if the parents say do not touch that bike it should stop this.Question remains how will they get to and from school.

I guess looking at it this way raises more questions.

The plain and simple solution to this and every other road traffic problem is .... law enforcement, it's not rocket science! But we all know that will never happen because the authorities are to lazy and more interested in lining their own pockets than actually doing their jobs.

2 hours ago, berybert said:

The whole of the road carnage situation is down to the BiB's lack of presence on the roads. Because of this folk do what they like because there is virtually zero chance of being taken to task. I can't remember the last time I saw a traffic BiB where I live.

Where I live when the school chucks out there is constant stream of under age kids on  scooters 3 up in fancy uniforms, no crash hats all racing each other, that's every day.

When I was a kid back home we had a cop come to our school and lecture about being safe, and that was about crossing the road..Unfortunately in LOS there is a total "don't care" attitude to anything, which I find a bit puzzling...

The whole of the road carnage situation is down to the BiB's lack of presence on the roads. Because of this folk do what they like because there is virtually zero chance of being taken to task. I can't remember the last time I saw a traffic BiB where I live.

Where I live when the school chucks out there is constant stream of under age kids on  scooters 3 up in fancy uniforms, no crash hats all racing each other, that's every day.

When I was a kid back home we had a cop come to our school and lecture about being safe, and that was about crossing the road..Unfortunately in LOS there is a total "don't care" attitude to anything, which I find a bit puzzling...

Plus monkey see monkey do. People see police breaking traffic laws, and think it's OK to do the same.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

On 6/23/2017 at 10:30 AM, jvs said:

All good and well but what is the alternative?

Electric bicycles with a range of 30-40km and governed top speed at 20-30 km/hr.  Millions of kids (and adults) use them to get around in just about every city in China.  Myself included.

'Course, you could always go for the way we did it when I was a kid.  Pedal bikes.  Built strong legs and character as my friends with cars laughed at me...

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, halloween said:

If the law is to be enforced, those enforcing it better have viable alternative transport available. There will already be considerable ill feeling in the community as people are forced to change their attitudes to children riding. If they are left in the position where their children can't get to school it be will be much higher.

In Oz, there is considerable traffic congestion around schools before and after hours as parents drop off and pick up. That won't be the same here, as many fewer non-working parents, and a lot fewer parents have cars.

Agree with you.  Many people are very stupid.  They would be more upset about some minor inconvenience than the death of their own children...

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Electric bicycles with a range of 30-40km and governed top speed at 20-30 km/hr.

I always believed this could work in Thailand. I own an electric bicycle myself , but the cost of the bike and battery is almost the same as a motobike. 

If you can get electric bikes for under 10000 baht then maybe.