Baht buses OK’d to return to Soi Buakhao

Rimmer

Baht buses OK’d to return to Soi Buakhao

1247-n7baht.jpg

PATTAYA:--Even though many drivers are simply ignoring them, more official routes were added to Pattaya’s baht bus system – including Soi Buakhao.

National Council for Peace and Order Banglamung chief, Maj. Gen. Popanan Luengpanuwat met June 12 with the local Baht Bus Cooperative, government officials, businesspeople and soldiers to discuss the progress of the army’s attempt to impose order on unruly songthaews.

Transport officials told the meeting that four routes added this year serving the periphery of Pattaya were working smoothly, although they acknowledged drivers continue to stray from their designated areas to serve more-lucrative spots, such as Soi Buakhao, where the army actually tried – and failed – to ban baht buses.

The military signaled defeat at the meeting, announcing that Soi Buakhao will be added to the South Pattaya-Dolphin Roundabout-Naklua route.

“Even though the government has tried to fix this issue many times, it wasn’t very effective due to many careless drivers who simply violated the rules,” Popanan said.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/news/baht-buses-okd-return-soi-buakhao-178539

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-06-23

17 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

" The military signaled defeat "

:giggle:

They might be wise not to be too cocky about their "victory".........

.. In my experience, revenge is a dish best served cold...

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

They might be wise not to be too cocky about their "victory".........

.. In my experience, revenge is a dish best served cold...

it's a very similar situation up in Chiang Mai with the red songthaew Mafia objecting to and spoiling many good ideas to improve local transportation. Good grief how can an Army supposedly in charge of the country throw their arms up in the air and say they cannot get the better of these people? 

2 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

it's a very similar situation up in Chiang Mai with the red songthaew Mafia objecting to and spoiling many good ideas to improve local transportation. Good grief how can an Army supposedly in charge of the country throw their arms up in the air and say they cannot get the better of these people? 

I think the answer to that (non-rhetorical) question would be quite complicated.

It probably involves reference to the Thais being as slippery as eels when it comes to adhering to regulation, decades (if not centuries) of corruption and an innate jealousy of anyone coming along with better/competitive ideas that disturb the status quo.

11 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I think the answer to that (non-rhetorical) question would be quite complicated.

It probably involves reference to the Thais being as slippery as eels when it comes to adhering to regulation, decades (if not centuries) of corruption and an innate jealousy of anyone coming along with better/competitive ideas that disturb the status quo.

They weren't better ideas. They were stupid ideas. After centuries of military buffoonery attempting to govern civil society once more a huge failure.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

They weren't better ideas. They were stupid ideas. After centuries of military buffoonery attempting to govern civil society once more a huge failure.

Disagree entirely with that.

It is because of the failure of Thailand's so-called 'civil society' that the corrupt, protectionist practices came to prevail.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:42 AM, Jip99 said:

Disagree entirely with that.

It is because of the failure of Thailand's so-called 'civil society' that the corrupt, protectionist practices came to prevail.

Cart before the horse.

The reason there's no cohesive civil society is because an exceedingly rich and powerful minority can afford to pay for protectionist practices the army to keep everyone in their place.

On 23/06/2017 at 9:12 AM, Asiantravel said:

" The military signaled defeat "

:giggle:

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Will we ever see this stated in Thai history books?

History books?.............unheard of here sorry :whistling:

I never ever had a single problem or a bad experience with a baht bus. Everybody is using them, everybody is happy with their system. And yet there isn't a week, when there wouldn't be a crack down on them. Or somebody tried to change the system how they works. As a young person I can't walk on a Beach road without guys behind trees whispering at me "marihuana, cocain, yaba". I can't walk on a beach road after 2am, without ladyboy trying to pickpocket me. And yet, let's do a crack down on baht buses! On a system, which everybody uses and everybody is happy how it is.