Veteran wanting a retirement Visa.

I have found it baffling to apply for the one year retirement Visa. I was stationed in Thailand for two years and more recently visited there on business many times. On paper I meet all the requirements. Some say apply within the US. Other say take a tourist visa then apply within Thailand.

At this point, I can afford an agent to facilitate this process. From my experience, they can often make things 'happen'. There seem to be too many caveats. Even in these forums, lots of nuances, that I would like to avoid.  Any advice, on such services, getting there, and how to get started once there.

dozens of threads.  Assuming you qualify for retirement based on age and being over 50 and can do either 800k baht in a Thai bank or can attest to 65k baht monthly, you can do either stateside or Thai Side.  They are slightly different but end up with a similar thing.  Doing it Stateside there is a date/timing trick that gets you quite a few extra months on the extension to well over one  year.  The state side method requires a some extra paperwork, a criminal background thing and a medical thing.  Doing it in Thailand is a bit different and requires an extra trip back outside of Thailand for a day or two across the border.  Some find one way more convenient or likeable than the other.  Me, I plan to do it in Thailand.  Years ago I did all the stuff from the USA and the letter form my local police force saying no criminal issues was enough, but now they seem to   want like the FBI check.  You can do that, but you have to mail in fingerprints, spend money, etc.  Frankly, I recommend the Tourist visa, go to Thailand and then  sort things out.  I don't mind a few days out for a trip to a neighboring country.  have done border runs in the past.  Make sure you have backup proof of your monthly or yearly income in case it is asked for, or do the 800 k Baht deposit in a bank.  I recommend you scan and make PDFs of every possible thing you can think of, then email them to yourself.  DD214s, Disability letters, Driver license, Social security card, passport photo page.  Put a simple basic password on them to keep the low level thieves out.  This stuff comes in handy if you lose things or they get stolen

• Like 1

Kim,

Just try and read every thread you can on the subject.

I was like you at first, hence the forum name.

Now I understand just about everything I need to know. Try doing a flow chart and it gets organised in your mind then.

Don't get confused and if you need advice, stick to members like Udonjoe who has been there, seen that, done that and read the book.

• Like 2

The "rules and requirements" are not that difficult for a normal person to understand.

I am just an old farm boy from he U.S. and if I did it without the "help" of an agent, I'll bet you can.

Certainly not if you don't  try.

• Like 2

Your Best option is an O-A visa stateside.  This will give you almost 2 years in Thailand with multi entry capabilities. It will require money in an American bank account, a medical cert form, and a criminal background check. Check the website of the Thai consulate that serves your region Chicago, New York City, or Los Angeles. Or apply at the embassy in D. C. 

• Like 1

Best option is to arrive with a Non Imm O Visa if you can get one.

Apply for a twelve month extension in Thailand.

800,000 in the bank or 65,000 monthly income or a combination of both.

No medical or police check needed.

1,900 Baht fee.

My advise for what its worth get a OA visa at home 2yrs to get your head zround the paperwork needed to extend by way of retirement. One here go to your local immigration and ask them exactly what you need no double guessing then. Problem is on here most and i stress most seem to think beacuse they understand the sysetem here everybody else should do. You will sort it in two years.

Look on your embassies web site for requirements for OA visa. One year in country doing 90 day reports to your local immigration office then do a border run just before visa runs out and you get another year.

Edited by jeab1980
To add

The thing you will likely find the most frustrating, is that every Immigration Office in Thailand, and every Thai consulate around the world, operate with variations on the rules. 

I would suggest you try to get a Single Entry Non-O based on retirement in the USA, if possible, as you can convert that into a 1-year extension easily.  The Non-O-A is another option, but as others have noted, the police-check is now more work/cost/time-consuming than before.  Although Honorary Consulates can no longer issue Multi-Entry visas of any kind (including the Non-O-A), they can still issue single-entry, 90-day visas.  In general, they are more friendly to deal with. 

Someone please jump in and correct me if Honorary Consulates in the USA can no longer issue Non-O 90-day single-entry visas based on retirement with proof of funds and/or income (it was still reported as possible in Nov 2016 by UJ here https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/954023-retirement-visa-questions/?do=findComment&comment=11337506 )

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The thing you will likely find the most frustrating, is that every Immigration Office in Thailand, and every Thai consulate around the world, operate with variations on the rules. 

I would suggest you try to get a Single Entry Non-O based on retirement in the USA, if possible, as you can convert that into a 1-year extension easily.  The Non-O-A is another option, but as others have noted, the police-check is now more work/cost/time-consuming than before.  Although Honorary Consulates can no longer issue Multi-Entry visas of any kind (including the Non-O-A), they can still issue single-entry, 90-day visas.  In general, they are more friendly to deal with. 

Someone please jump in and correct me if Honorary Consulates in the USA can no longer issue Non-O 90-day single-entry visas based on retirement with proof of funds and/or income (it was still reported as possible in Nov 2016 by UJ here https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/954023-retirement-visa-questions/?do=findComment&comment=11337506 )

my police check cost me $40 bucks and was delivered  in 48 hours.. Only a few states are problems.. Most easy

if you qualify under the income method (65,000thb per month), i'd recommend going that way and forget about the cash in the bank method.  i did the cash in the bank method and now i'm dealing with the issue of who gets the money if i happen to die.  there is no beneficiary 'system' that we have in the USA.  so you have to set up a will for your thai assets, which might work great for some but a hassle for me as the cash in the bank is my only thai asset (i rent and am not married).  i'm based in bangkok so going to the US embassy (with an appointment) to get an income letter is not a big ordeal.

i think most people agree that the non O-A is the best way to enter thailand (for retirement) as long as you've got a home base in the USA.  i made thailand my home base well before i turned 50 and it wasn't real convenient for me to get a health check, a police background check, do mailing to the embassy, etc... during my trips back to USA.  so i entered on a visa exempt entry and converted to a non O in bangkok.  if i'd been living the life i had before i left the USA, i would have gone the O-A route as i had a doctor, a car, a home address where i could get mail, etc...

• Like 1

hi kim

you state that you are a veteran if so do you get a pension from the us gov and it is over 65000bt a month get a letter from them stating that and it will help you to get a visa in the us.

There is two ways if you want to get a non o muti for retirement in thailand or lao in thailand you have to do a stat dec at the us embassy and take that to the immigration office with all the other papers ,they will tell you on this site what you will need, if you don't get the 65000 it can be made up with money in thai bank.

in savannakhet you just need the letter,and all the other papers you can get your hands on

i am an aus veteran on a tpi pension and it has worked for me two times the last was 3 weeks ago  in savannakhet and the same letter worked in australia untill they changed the goal posts

Thanks all. The Thai embassy in D.C. still lists the " Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)"  as a visa option with the applicable requirements. The VA will take care of the medical documents. I am not worried about the financial requirements. I have SS, military disability, IRA's, and cash. The criminal background check can be done by your state or the FBI. My bank, Bank of America, can wire money to the Bangkok Bank in the US and this would be reflected into a potential account in Thailand. 

I am also interested in traveling to Cambodia, Laos,  and Vietnam, my memory bucket list. I had been to those places in the ole war days. Unless, I know better. I plan on Chiang Mai as my initial home base then look to other places in Thailand. Who knows, I my move elsewhere. As mentioned, I have been to Thailand more recently on business, liked there years ago, as well, as today. In the US there's more press on retiring on South America, Mexico, Ecuador, or Columbia. Been there, they are not safe or friendly, unless you have serious money. 

Thanks again.

Edited by Kim1950
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

Thanks all. The Thai embassy in D.C. still lists the " Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)"  as a visa option with the applicable requirements. The VA will take care of the medical documents. I am not worried about the financial requirements. I have SS, military disability, IRA's, and cash. The criminal background check can be done by your state or the FBI. My bank, Bank of America, can wire money to the Bangkok Bank in the US and this would be reflected into a potential account in Thailand. 

I am also interested in traveling to Cambodia, Laos,  and Vietnam, my memory bucket list. I had been to those places in the ole war days. Unless, I know better. I plan on Chiang Mai as my initial home base then look to other places in Thailand. Who knows, I my move elsewhere. As mentioned, I have been to Thailand more recently on business, liked there years ago, as well, as today. In the US there's more press on retiring on South America, Mexico, Ecuador, or Columbia. Been there, they are not safe or friendly, unless you have serious money. 

Thanks again.

To get an OA VISA the money can stay in your American bank.. Part of its advantages 

From what I can tell, looking at various posts here, the main deciding factor seems to be how easy or difficult it would be to get the criminal background check done and it seems to depend where exactly you live in the States.  Since you've said you don't see this as a problem, I personally would go for the multiple-entry, one year visa by reason of retirement from abroad if you can get it because, as others have mentioned, you can get nearly two years out of it by leaving and returning just before the first year is up. This is what I did - I have been retired in Thailand for nearly two years now and have only just had to do my first extension.

Don't forget it you do go out and back to gain the extra year, to get a re-entry permit (multiple or single, it's up to you) if you plan to leave the country during your second year, your original multiple-entry visa is only good for the first year you're here.

As others pointed out there are a number of valid ways to do it.

I arrived in Thailand 5 years ago on a Non O multi-entry visa then and have extended it each year annually in Bangkok.

In my particular case I get my Social Security pension sent to my Bangkok Bank  account by direct deposit from the U.S. each month.

It takes some paperwork to set up a direct deposit that way initially but once you have it running  the money arrives in your Bangkok Bank  account  on the 4th of each month.

I've been doing  it that way for over 4 years now, and it works fine  for me.

I am a U.S. Army Vietnam veteran if that means anything, but not retied military.

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I arrived in Thailand 5 years ago on a Non O multi-entry visa then and have extended it each year annually in Bangkok.

In my particular case I get my Social Security pension sent to my Bangkok Bank  account by direct deposit from the U.S. each month.

It takes some paperwork to set up a direct deposit that way initially but once you have it running  the money arrives in your Bangkok Bank  account  on the 4th of each month.

I am a U.S. Army Vietnam veteran if that means anything, but not retied military.

Sorry but it is not possible to extend a VISA.

The truth is there is no such thing as a "best" path for all. 

It really depends on the specifics of the situation.

That's why it's often worth it to learn the details about the DIFFERENT paths and then decide which is the best personal fit.

For one example, for applicants living outside Thailand that plan on using the bank account method (800K seasoned for two months in Thailand) that have practical issues with making that happen so quickly, the best option will be the O-A visa applied for in home country. Because with that the funds are typically shown in the home country, no Thai bank account even needed.

That's just one example.

Another option of how this forum can be used short of learning all the details personally, is for people to SHARE lots of information about their personal situation related to the process, and then experienced people can see quickly which path will be more optimal.

If someone is telling you that one way is the best way WITHOUT knowing personal details, that is by definition bad advice. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I'm confused because you so often write about your experiences about  getting tourist visas in these threads?so why then do you have to bother at all with getting these if you have been extending every year and" doing  it that way for over 4 years now " ?

• Like 1

Another thing with is kind of obvious but I'll say it anyway, is that there is often a strong personal bias to suggest to others what was done personally. For example, people that started on an O-A visa often tend to suggest that as the best path. But that's not objective advice. 

Mine was pretty straight forward. I applied for the 6 month multiple entry tourist visa through the Portland, OR consulate. During that time I did two extensions through the local immigration office and a couple of visa runs into Myanmar. When I was ready to obtain the retirement Visa I went to the US Embassy in Bangkok and got my notarized statement of monthly income and applied for the visa through the Ayutthaya immigration office. All that was required was the application, the notarized statement, a copy of the rental agreement where I was staying along with the homeowner's information, copies of your recent entry stamps from your passport and your entry/departure form and 1,900 Baht. The application process was swift but getting my passport back to a few days as the guy who signs off on the process was at a conference in Bangkok.

I have since moved to Phuket. The renewal process takes about 20 minutes. All that is required is the notarized financial statement, the application, copies of your recent entry stamps from your passport and your entry/departure form and 1,900 Baht  Since I received a certificate of residency form for the purchase of a motorcycle they have not required any residential rental agreements from me.

Since you mentioned Chiang Mai as a potential "home base" in Thailand, I strongly encourage you to obtain an O-A visa in the U.S. and read the threads on this forum on how to squeeze nearly two years of life out of that visa.  The Chiang Mai Immigration office loves to make life difficult for newbies, changing the goal posts for retirees who come without a visa and think they can apply in Chiang Mai.  With an O-A visa that you obtain in the U.S., you have two years to learn the ropes, talk with other retirees and learn how to interact with CM Immigration before you have to do obtain your first in-country one-year retirement extensions.

You may still have to deal with CM Imm. for re-entry permits during your second year and perhaps for 90 day reports (but those can be submitted by mail), but both transactions are fairly easy.  It's the initial "visa conversion" and the annual 1-year extension, often wrongly called "renewing the retirement visa" that can be a difficult process in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You may still have to deal with CM Imm. for re-entry permits during your second year and perhaps for 90 day reports (but those can be submitted by mail), but both transactions are fairly easy.  It's the initial "visa conversion" and the annual 1-year extension, often wrongly called "renewing the retirement visa" that can be a difficult process in Chiang Mai.

Not to mention their over-zealous enforcement of the TM30 requirement as well, of course.

41 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Since you mentioned Chiang Mai as a potential "home base" in Thailand, I strongly encourage you to obtain an O-A visa in the U.S. and read the threads on this forum on how to squeeze nearly two years of life out of that visa.

Or get a single entry non-o visa from one of the honorary consulates in the states. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

No need to deal with CM immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

One thing that may be worth considering when choosing between an OA visa and a retirement extension, is what happens if the financial requirements are raised. Last time they raised the financial requirements for a retirement extension, those who were already on extensions were "grandfathered" in at the old levels, and there is a good chance the same would be the case again (no guarantees though). Those on an OA visa, on the other hand, would most likely have to meet the new financial requirements. And since it's been a while since the latest change, a raise of the financial requirements could very well be on the cards sooner rather than later.

This may not be a concern for the OP, since it sounds like he would comfortably meet the requirements even if the amount required were raised by a considerable margin. But for others, who today have income or savings only marginally over the required 65k/800k, it could be a deciding factor.

Sophon

On 6/24/2017 at 0:29 AM, Jingthing said:

You don't need an agent unless you're illiterate or very lazy. 

Or can't actually qualify financially. 

HAHA.  I used an agent my first time.  I qualified financially easily just did not want to deal with it similar to what the OP states.

It is not that hard though I agree.  The agency did drive me to immigration (Bangkok), and within 40 minutes I had 15 months on my Visa, multiple entry, etc. They just took a couple of photos never waited in a line.

Not cheap though.

Edited by bkk6060

My thinking about CM was I can get direct flights, and initially maybe better accommodations at lower costs. Maybe more English friendly, I would later travel around Thailand or elsewhere for a more long time stay. I have time and will apply for my visa within the US. If I first enter in CM, will I be stuck there for some administrative processes? I will also hook-up with a local VFW.

I would also like to be open. I am not raising the American Veteran with duty in Thailand flag waving, though there seems to be an animosity toward us. That war is behind us, and no matter your view. Thailand retained it's autonomy, many existing airports and infrastructure were built by America. We supported local charities and some like me, as a young man, fell in love with the county, culture, and people. I have been there many times on business since  those days, and all-and-all, my feelings have not changed, except I have access to the internet.