People with poor health urged not to drive alone

rooster59

People with poor health urged not to drive alone

By The Nation

00b1657f92ef434e256e19bbcbc70335.jpeg

Photo from: www.kratomblast.com/

People with poor health conditions that might affect their driving ability are advised not to drive alone, to prevent road accidents, according to Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chatchai Phromlert.

People who should not drive by themselves include: patients with heart disease, those with a diabetes type that require insulin injection who could pass out when the sugar level in their blood has dropped, those with epilepsy with refractory seizures that could not be controlled by seizure medications, and those who had undergone brain surgery that could affect their body balance and muscle movement, Chatchai said. 

66523f75cfeff62cb963e9d9a6696117.jpeg

These people should consult with doctors to assess their ability to drive through various factors such as eyesight, muscle and limb examination and medication records. They should refrain from driving completely if prohibited by a doctor, he said. 

If they were allowed to drive, these persons should carry medications and patient cards with them and a note about their condition and accurate aid methods so if their condition flared up, people could timely and accurately help them, he said. 

People also should not take medicine when driving as there might be some side effects. And people allowed to drive should have a companion in the car to assist in case of a medical emergency, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318935

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-24

"I want to die in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming like the other people in his car."

Would you want ot travel in a car driven by someone with a seriously impairing medical condition? Get someone else to drive.

One other measure which should be introduced, is a requirement that every person over the age of 70 should produce a medical fitness certificate which would validate the drivers licence to 2 years. At the age of 75 this should be shortened to one year. This is a practice which has been in force in many countries in Europe ( one must add now including "the U.K...") and has proven its usefulness.

What about people in good health who couldn't give two  - - - ks about other road users .....like never using their indicators, lights on at full blast that would blind a person, no lights at all, never looking left or right when pulling onto a main road, never giving way......let's start there and get the ball rolling.

Edited by dotpoom

37 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

One other measure which should be introduced, is a requirement that every person over the age of 70 should produce a medical fitness certificate which would validate the drivers licence to 2 years.

This certificate costs 200 Baht in Thailand

Just now, wvavin said:

This country just like to think of something that will never work.

It actually makes a lot of sense, if you take off the "anything the Thais state is bad" glasses.

So many ppl come to Thailand and drive even thou they have a requirement in there own country to have annual medicals.

But hey, if you can put the boot into Thailand, why waste an opportunity aye!

Edited by psyvolt

2 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

I'm going to start a new business - Rent-a-Rider.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Too late. Haven't you seen some folks in the US are using blow-up dolls in the passenger seat so they can use the "car pool" lanes.

Hmm, just a moment. With the advent of the developing sex robots....honest, its just to fill the passenger seat.... oh, never

mind.

All well and good, but it's all the folk in good health (the majority) who fail to exercise any mental health at all while plying the local highways and byways :w00t:

1 hour ago, little mary sunshine said:

People with the mentioned health issues

should be on a baht bus or taxi for everyones

safety.

What, you mean driving them......?  i thought they already were!

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

One other measure which should be introduced, is a requirement that every person over the age of 70 should produce a medical fitness certificate which would validate the drivers licence to 2 years. At the age of 75 this should be shortened to one year. This is a practice which has been in force in many countries in Europe ( one must add now including "the U.K...") and has proven its usefulness.

would that be the same cert as required to get new licence   the 100 bht special ??

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

People with poor health conditions that might affect their driving ability are advised not to drive alone, to prevent road accidents, according to Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chatchai Phromlert.

Genius pure genius .

Why didn't some one come up with that earlier. 

3 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

I'm going to start a new business - Rent-a-Rider.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It is not a new concept but I'm sure would be new here. In the old country they have a "dial a driver" where a sober / sane driver is dispatched to wherever you are, and they drive you and your car home. They are then picked up by their company service vehicle. The service is mostly utilised by piss heads like me who have been too lazy to make other arrangements to get home after too many pints at the pub. I will add that taxis were non existent in our back water and Uber nor Grab were probably only a glint in their creators eye back then.

Headline should have been

People of low intelligence should not drive without a qualified driver beside them and they should have a big red L Plate stuck on the vehicle

The death rate on the worlds no 1 roads (Hub of Death) would drop over night.

Edited by wakeupplease

5 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Headline should have been

People of low intelligence should not drive without a qualified driver beside them and they should have a big red L Plate stuck on the vehicle

The death rate on the worlds no 1 roads (Hub of Death) would drop over night.

Hardly the worlds no 1 roads are they...sorry, couldn't resist oh high and mighty user of the English language :post-4641-1156693976: