Thai-Australian drug-smuggling operation busted

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai-Australian drug-smuggling operation busted

By Piyanuch Tamnukasetchai

n3.jpeg

Thai and Australian authorities joined forces in a crackdown on a transnational drugs network from which they seized 1.7 million yaba pills and 296 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine or “ice”, Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) chief Sirinya Sitdhichai announced on Tuesday.

Four Thai male suspects were arrested and identified as Sarayuth Ekmongkolsuk, 28, Adisak Kaengthongthae, 24, Thiwat Klin-obchey, 23, and Preutthichai Chaiyong, 22.

The latest bust stemmed from the previous arrest of drug suspects in Chiang Rai’s Chiang Saen district and Trang’s Na Yong district. 

A police investigation found that Thiwat and others would allegedly transport the drugs from the North to store in Bangkok’s Thon Buri area pending distribution to retailers in Bangkok and surrounding areas.

Officers spotted Thiwat’s car after staking out a Nonthaburi shopping mall that was set as a meeting point.

They followed the car to a petrol station where Sarayuth and Adisak got in. They then continued to Than Thong Market where they allegedly collected another car loaded with drugs. 

Investigators found that the suspects were allegedly linked to a network that smuggled crystal meth to Australia, Sirinya said. 

ONCB officers and Australian police teamed up in a “storm” operation to intercept drugs before they were dispatched to Australia and arrested an unnamed Australian fugitive. 

The man reportedly sneaked into Thailand and worked at a restaurant. He had allegedly been concealing crystal meth in water filter machines and posting them to Australia where the drug’s street value would be 100 times greater than in Thailand. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319274

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-27

1 hour ago, eggers said:

Certainly hope AUS police get those responsible in AUS; they destroy people's lives for their greed!!

Nobody destroys anybody else's life. People with their own malice and aforethought, seek out drug dealers to buy the substances they want. If they then destroy their lives, it is their choice. Or as is the case, as many do, they imbibe a bit on a Saturday night and stay substance free the rest of the week.               Freely chosen, with the risks calculated.

It is not as if the drug dealers are distributing enticing advertising in their letter boxes or online. Is it? Or standing over them with a glass pipe saying "Smoke! Or I kill you."

Get real and if you think that other people cannot take responsibility for their lives, then is it highly likely that you cannot do so yourself. You need the state to impose its guidelines upon you, because you cannot do it yourself.

When the whole of modern society wakes up to the fact that legalising drugs is the only way to educate people properly about their dangers and pleasures, we will have a more balanced society less dependent on the most dangerous substance on earth. Alcohol.

Wakey wakey people.

13 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

Nobody destroys anybody else's life. People with their own malice and aforethought, seek out drug dealers to buy the substances they want. If they then destroy their lives, it is their choice. Or as is the case, as many do, they imbibe a bit on a Saturday night and stay substance free the rest of the week.               Freely chosen, with the risks calculated.

It is not as if the drug dealers are distributing enticing advertising in their letter boxes or online. Is it? Or standing over them with a glass pipe saying "Smoke! Or I kill you."

Get real and if you think that other people cannot take responsibility for their lives, then is it highly likely that you cannot do so yourself. You need the state to impose its guidelines upon you, because you cannot do it yourself.

When the whole of modern society wakes up to the fact that legalising drugs is the only way to educate people properly about their dangers and pleasures, we will have a more balanced society less dependent on the most dangerous substance on earth. Alcohol.

Wakey wakey people.

I agree... legalize drugs then people will try them and then judge if can not live without drugs or they just get fed up with drugs.

I remember I was asked in college exam about the effects of legalizing drugs in Holland, after I did some research Holland turned out to be with little or not to mention percentage of drug addicts.

52 minutes ago, NoBrainer said:

I thought there was no more pictures of suspects with their booty, after an announcement earlier this week.

I think PM Prayut say that. Words are cheap and so it seems is the man. 

Plenty more couriers, sellers, buyers and busts

I have lost count on how many this year 

at what stage do we say the current methods of dealing with this whole cycle is not working,

Nah , why bother 

same old same old.

40 minutes ago, nasanews said:

I agree... legalize drugs then people will try them and then judge if can not live without drugs or they just get fed up with drugs.

I remember I was asked in college exam about the effects of legalizing drugs in Holland, after I did some research Holland turned out to be with little or not to mention percentage of drug addicts.

Did The Netherlands legalize heroin, cocaine, amphetamines?

Just now, maximillian said:

Not that I know, but they should, i.m.h.o.

But the point is the research the poster quoted would not have included the affects of legalizing hard drugs as they didn't do it. So his post is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Maggusoil said:

Wakey wakey people.

I would have thought Tobacco was the most dangerous substance

31 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Are the people criminals or cops in the picture.  It seems difficult to tell.

"Four Thai male suspects were arrested and identified as Sarayuth Ekmongkolsuk, 28, Adisak Kaengthongthae, 24, Thiwat Klin-obchey, 23, and Preutthichai Chaiyong, 22."

The suspects, not visible in the photo, are all under 30, so it's safe to assume, that in this case, they are all officials keen to participate inthe group photo shoot.

44 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Did The Netherlands legalize heroin, cocaine, amphetamines?

Portugal has. Crime down. Overdoses down. Employment up. Economy up. Way to go. Too bad there are vested interests in keeping all drugs illegal. Except of course for the legal drugs.:wink: Money, corruption, crime, religion, drugs. I think take out the first four and the last isn't so bad. 

Drug addiction is a medical and physiological issue, not a law enforcement issue. Throwing people in jail does nothing to help. Most people who have done drugs  have not destroyed their lives. 

I have never understood why someone who can responsibly deal with drugs has to pay the price for people who cannot. 

Edited by wlcart

3 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

I thought there was no more pictures of suspects with their booty, after an announcement earlier this week.

... and

the Thais are named but the Australian fugitive not.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

But the point is the research the poster quoted would not have included the affects of legalizing hard drugs as they didn't do it. So his post is irrelevant.

If a drug is legal people would not spend too much thinking how and where to get it regardless how strong is it, but when that strong drug is hard to find it make the user's mind fight more to get it.    All we ask is common sense just let people know they are really free to choose their action and know the consequences of their action.   Not according to the standards of others.

6 hours ago, Maggusoil said:

Wakey wakey people.

Succinct and to the point. One of the best posts I've read on the subject, and entirely concurrent with my point of view. I've been saying the same for fifty years, but the narrative deployed by the prohibitionists, with all the emotive BS is the only one that is heard.

It's not drugs per se that are the problem, it's the drug laws that create the misery and perpetuate the problem.

12 hours ago, eggers said:

Certainly hope AUS police get those responsible in AUS; they destroy people's lives for their greed!!

I guess you're partly correct, but the people who take the drugs have only themselves to blame. Beats me why the whole thing isn't legalized and regulated.