Video: Every motorcyclist's worst nightmare - the dreaded car door opens....

webfact

1 minute ago, sotsira said:

I clearly remember whilst doing my training course for motorbike license in the UK

being regularly told to ride at least 3 feet (1 metre) away from parked cars.

This also constitutes to be failed by an examiner during a test if you ride within 3 feet 

of parked cars.

I also remember questioning the instructor, what if the road is narrow should i still apply

the 3ft rule ? and the answer is yes always, even if you need to position your bike as close 

as to the centre division markers of the road.

This then makes the motorcycle rider at fault for incorrect positioning on the road according 

to UK training standards.

This is Thailand not England.

The drive has to take most of the responsibility, he did not look before, and in fact even after he got out. Had he looked and not open the door, or shut it straight away, no accident. The door was out into the road.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised the motorbike wasn't travelling in the opposite direction coming up against the flow of traffic.

Maybe that's why they do it, so if a car opens it's door it will be more of a deflected hit rather than a block.

Clever Thais. 

22 minutes ago, DLang said:

I'm surprised the motorbike wasn't travelling in the opposite direction coming up against the flow of traffic.

Maybe that's why they do it, so if a car opens it's door it will be more of a deflected hit rather than a block.

Clever Thais. 

Its nice to encounter a free thinking, open minded poster on here, I very much like it even if it is laced with a layer of sarcasm 

1 hour ago, sotsira said:

I clearly remember whilst doing my training course for motorbike license in the UK

being regularly told to ride at least 3 feet (1 metre) away from parked cars.

This also constitutes to be failed by an examiner during a test if you ride within 3 feet 

of parked cars.

I also remember questioning the instructor, what if the road is narrow should i still apply

the 3ft rule ? and the answer is yes always, even if you need to position your bike as close 

as to the centre division markers of the road.

This then makes the motorcycle rider at fault for incorrect positioning on the road according 

to UK training standards.

Exactly, its called hazard awareness and is taught and tested in many countries.  Allow for the worse to happen cos it will one day.  Drive with sufficient room from parked cars so that even if they suddenly open a door - you will not hit it.  How many times do you see bike riders skimming alongside parked vehicles with implicit faith that they will not open a door - crazy and unnecessary.

28 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Yes for the novice, but i knew where my indicator switch was hence no need to look for it

Eh?

sorry don't follow you......

Edited by The Dark Lord
Having a senior moment -sorry

This is another example of the driver opening the door being in the wrong - but the innocent(?) motorcyclist coming off badly...

Yes - the m/c could easily have reduced his risk by keeping further away or riding slower, and as an unprotected m/c he should be aware of the need to minimize risk to himself.

In this case the driver also suffers the ultimate punishment.

When passing stationary cars, you should always give them plenty of room, and if you cannot (such as when threading through stationary traffic waiting at traffic lights), you should be going at a sufficiently slow speed that you can stop IMMEDIATELY if someone decides to open a door.... at least that's how I ride.

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

This is Thailand not England.

The drive has to take most of the responsibility, he did not look before, and in fact even after he got out. Had he looked and not open the door, or shut it straight away, no accident. The door was out into the road.

The driver opened his door and got out with plenty of time to spare. He had almost closed the door  when the motorcyclist hit him. The motorcyclist was going way too fast if he could kill the driver and almost tear the car door off its hinges in the same impact.

The motorcyclist was in frame for about 0.2 seconds over a distance of about 5 metres. That makes his speed approximately 90 km/hr. Possibly sophisticated analysis would make the speed even higher.

If you're going to tell me travelling at that speed so close to parked cars is responsible behavior, I'd suggest your head is where it shouldn't be.

Edited by bazza73
Repeat text

5 hours ago, shaurene said:

90% of Thai drivers only know 3 things about driving, Steer Wheel, Power pedal and Brake pedal they think the mirrors are for checkng their hair and putting makeup on.

i give them a wide berth when passing a parket car.

And the other fault they have, is that they are in a complete world of their own.

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I am always worried when I open a car door from the driver's side here. More worried for the motorcyclists than myself. I always try to open slow and have a good look before I open it far enough for me to get out. But sometimes you forget and then you think about what you might have done to someone if they had been unable to avoid you.

This seems to be a case of reckless speeding though. The door was open long enough to be seen. I feel bad for the car driver.

I was on the passenger side in a taxi in BKK. He signaled and braked to let me out. A motor cyclist tried to undertake and squeeze between the stopped taxi and kerb. My opening door caught his knee cap, poor sod. Must've hurt like hell. He moaned and the taxi driver talked with him. I'd already paid the driver and offered nothing but sympathy. Eventually the taxi driver gave him something and sent him on his way. 

The way some motor cyclists drive, weaving in and out, under taking, and seemingly oblivious to what's going on, just like some car drivers brings misfortune to themselves.

4 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Eh?

sorry don't follow you......

I only did it correct on my driving test after that it got a bit slack

I liked to know what was behind me, but it was a last look then I would indicate if needed HaHa and hang a right or left 

Yes I am well aware of the cause of so many of the road fatalities everywhere

Edited by oldlakey

11 hours ago, vadid said:

The biggest surprise about that video is that the motorbike did not come through on the inside, which is what they generally do in Thailand

Or on the pavements. Anyway, the motorcyclist was going far too fast and also too close to the car.

12 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Do what fast....opening the door fast is the passengers fault?

I keep hearing references to the "passenger".He got out of the car long before the accident------- it was the driver was hit.

Its pretty obvious that the motorcyclist is at fault, he's clearly going extremely quickly, he's traveling way too close to parked vehicles and he clearly wasn't paying full attention to the road ahead of him. 

The driver exited the car approximately 6 seconds before the impact - this is plenty of time and space for a motorcycle to avoid him (at 80 kmh = 130 meters).

That said - the driver was extremely cavalier in the manner in which he exited the car, then stood in an position highly exposed with his back to passing traffic. 

Had the driver been even remotely considerate of the danger he was placing himself in when exiting the car he may have been more observant more responsive and avoided serious injury. 

As for the motorcyclist, well, he's clearly the average tool we see speeding around. 

Who the <deleted> titled this article......? The door was open for 5 seconds before the dumb <deleted> cyclist "SLAMED" the poor man who was out of the car for several seconds. The artical writer is as dumb a <deleted> as the motorcyclist. Was the driver Thai? You know if he/she was farang the artical would have proclaimed it......

It's impossible to know for sure from the footage if the motorbike was speeding or not, at best we could say he wasn't paying attention but then again he may have been distracted by something else on his right hand side. 

What we can say for sure is that man exiting the car was not paying attention at any time and opened the door into the motorbike's lane.