More than 320 people arrested in pirate goods raids

More than 320 people arrested in pirate goods raid

n3.jpeg

More than 320 people have been arrested and Bt28.3 million worth of pirated goods and computer software has been seized after a nine-month operation by the Economic Crime Suppression Division (ECSD).

Pol Maj-General Chawalit Sawaengpuet, deputy commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB), told a press conference at the ECSD office in Bangkok on Wednesday that the operation ran from October 2016 to Monday.

Authorities netted 324 suspects in 320 cases along with 10,805 pieces of evidence. Ninety-two suspects sold pirated goods, while 12 suspects released copyright films on the Internet and 220 suspects sold pirated computer software. 

Chawalit said ECSD officers on Tuesday also raided five locations – three in Chon Buri and one each in Bangkok and Nonthaburi – and arrested four suspects along with goods that carried copyright logos. 

The goods were to be sold online via Facebook, Instagram and Line, he said.

He warned people selling illegal goods to stop and urged the public not to buy goods that might be low-quality and harmful to health.

Warunee Ratchatapattanakul, a representative of the software business alliance, said some software-selling websites also sold pirated software at only hundreds of baht cheaper than the original.

“This pirated software cannot be updated and could be a channel for hackers to access your information or cause malware virus issues,” she said.

A study by a Singapore university found 90 per cent of computers in Thailand were infected with malware, she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319363

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-28

"...to stop and urged the public not to buy goods that might be low-quality and harmful to health."

Like Chinese imports earmarked for sale in Thailand as opposed to the US?  :sleep:

Today was in the papers that Primark (a huge shop) was calling back their flipflops cause they contained too many chemicals.

I wonder how many of those fake brandname-slippers also contain those chemicals, or even just cheapo slippers from Tesco.

The reason why i buy brandname slippers is to make sure good materials are used but in Thailand i can't distinguish which products are real and which are fakes. Even in the big departmentstores fakes can be found , they might be really from that brandname but the quality for sure is not the same as in Europe.

Anyway, good to know that the investigation is over now...so tomorrow the mbk can be restocked.

I was buying my pirated DVD's off two Burmese lads from a stall, along Sukimvit Road. The owner was a police Sargent and had a few more stores.

An old saying 'looking for the diamonds in life, they are in your own backyard'. In this case the traffickers are closer to the police than what they want you to believe. 

A photo of police salivating at getting their mitts on all that loot.  My wife used to sell counterfeit shirts on Pattaya Night market.  Never a month went by when a policeman would help himself to clothing in his size.

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

A study by a Singapore university found 90 per cent of computers in Thailand were infected with malware, she said.

Only 90% :crazy:
Must have been a very large brown envelope to get this number down...

99.999% should have been a more reliable number !!!

16 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Raided last week... you should read ThaiVisa more often!!

Mustn't have been a very thorough raid, I was there yesterday and there was hoards of tourists buying fake shit... And thinking it's great to get such bargains lol 

17 hours ago, mikebell said:

A photo of police salivating at getting their mitts on all that loot.  My wife used to sell counterfeit shirts on Pattaya Night market.  Never a month went by when a policeman would help himself to clothing in his size.

Should consider fixing a well visible large angle CCTV camera on the stand and take footage of the rotten apples in brown outfits who loot and help theselves to the counterfeit goods.

I read an article that the police raided MBK and got 5000 articles of pirated goods. As another

commenter said, They mst have only raided the first 5 booths in MBK.

My last visit to MBK, I was not impresses as a lot of the stalls sell the same old garbage.

I like the Central Department stores and Robinsons, and Makro and Big C much more than

a place like MBK.

Geezer

6 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I read an article that the police raided MBK and got 5000 articles of pirated goods. As another

commenter said, They mst have only raided the first 5 booths in MBK.

My last visit to MBK, I was not impresses as a lot of the stalls sell the same old garbage.

I like the Central Department stores and Robinsons, and Makro and Big C much more than

a place like MBK.

Geezer

And if you want good quality copycopy sportswear you better go to the small markets in the subs cause you'll find it there.

I have never seen copycopy La Coste in the mbk but on local markets they've got it...Or huge mountains of NB-sneakers all for 500 baht a pair.

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

And if you want good quality copycopy sportswear you better go to the small markets in the subs cause you'll find it there.

I have never seen copycopy La Coste in the mbk but on local markets they've got it...Or huge mountains of NB-sneakers all for 500 baht a pair.

Go to any of the Chinese wholesale websites and you can buy Nike Air max sneakers for $10-11 a pair..... And every other brand you can think of.... Delivered to your door in about a week

How do they do it for the price one might ask or how much profit do the manufacturers make on all this stuff? I know there is a quality difference but you do sometimes think that maybe they made their own problem by being to greedy with how much a logo is actually worth.

For me a logo is worth Jack s--t, perhaps next time I should ask how much with no logo eh?

18 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Go to any of the Chinese wholesale websites and you can buy Nike Air max sneakers for $10-11 a pair..... And every other brand you can think of.... Delivered to your door in about a week

Well in Tokyo we bought some pairs of Air Max but only because there we expected to get the real ones, also they were cheap.

In BKK, (in the nike outletshop) they have so many Air Max models that i have no idea which ones are the real ones.

But for the latest Air Max models i never spotted them in Thailand, they are always a little different. If that's original or not i have no idea.