Corruption alarm bells after Bt4.6-bn tower project exempted from bidding

webfact

By THE NATION

0d419a07cf5317c470e8f5e6497df908.jpeg

THE ANTI-CORRUPTION Organisation of Thailand (ACT) yesterday called on relevant authorities to investigate the Bangkok Observatory Tower project.

ACT secretary-general Mana Nimitmongkol said the Budget Bureau, the Office of the Auditor-General and the National Anti-Corruption Commission should launch an investigation before damage is inflicted. 

“I suspect that the project will be carried out in favour of private enterprises at the expense of the nation,” he said.

Mana spoke out after assistant government spokesman Colonel Atisit Chaiyanuwat disclosed that the Cabinet had exempted the project from bidding to speed up the project. 

“Bidding should take place to ensure transparency,” he said. 

Speaking separately, Atisit said private investors would fund the tower project. 

He also backtracked from his earlier statement that the 459-metre-high tower would cost Bt7.6 billion, bringing that figure down to Bt4.6 billion.

Atisit also said the project only needed Cabinet approval because it would be developed on a plot of land belonging to the Finance Ministry’s Treasury Department. Located in Bangkok’s Klong San district, the plot is located on the Chao Phraya River. 

“The 30-year land lease comes with a rental fee of Bt198 million,” Atisit said.

Ekniti Nitithanprapas, who heads the State Enterprise Policy Office, insisted that the tower project had won approval from relevant authorities and proceeded in line with regulations. 

“We can decide on whether to require bidding,” he said. 

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha also stood by the project.

“The tower will be a new landmark in Bangkok. It will house a museum about Thailand’s history and monarchy,” he said.

Chatri Prakitnonthakan, a lecturer at the Faculty of Architecture Silpakorn University, said the tower project showed a lack of transparency on many levels.

“In this project, developers get rights to develop this public land without passing the proper procedures of official bidding. In addition, these investors also pay a rent to the government at a very cheap rate of around Bt6 million per year, despite this land having very high value,” Chatri said.

He also commented on the lack of public involvement in the “top-down” project. Being a landmark built on public land, citizens should be able to play a part at the design stage, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319394

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-29

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

He also backtracked from his earlier statement that the 459-metre-high tower would cost Bt7.6 billion, bringing that figure down to Bt4.6 billion.

What is 3 billion baht among friends ?  It is  just a number.  Thank goodness for junta and their corruption fight. 

It is rather sad. 

Corruption until now, although everywhere, had no face or a physical

now it has, a huge tall building, it should be named corruption tower form,

maybe it kind of payments for someone, a group, for their support of

a certain head figure to be where he's now....

Corruption in Thailand is part of their government fabric. They wouldn't know how to do anything without it. No suprise here. We all know the anti corruption campaign is just window dressing that means nothing. Throw a few expendables off the bridge for the public but that's all it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, webfact said:

bit of a difference; when pressured, just arbitrarily make up a new number

the original press release cited " excessive delays", and also mentioned low bidder interest. So nobody had an interest in bidding on it.  That could lead to a horrible contract where the builder just works and works and works.  no need to show progress, no accountability, etc.  Endless jobs for the nieces and nephews and friends of crooks.

"Colonel Atisit Chaiyanuwat disclosed that the Cabinet had exempted the project from bidding to speed up the project". 

Translated that means Cabinet had exempted the project from bidding to speed up the money flow to the pockets. 

Why should this project be exempted from the usual corruption? Nothing else in Thailand is immune to such practices in some form or another.

In the Bangkok Post it claims that the project was first raised by the CEO of Magnolia Corporation as chair of the Bangkok Observation Tower Foundation. Other Directors of the foundation happen to be Directors of Siam Piwat who together with Magnolia are developing Icon Siam a huge mixed use project which just happens to be on the adjacent plot to this.

Umm, nothing to see here then...... If the 'philanthropists' in those major conglomerates want to build it let the plot go out to open tender. 70 million baht for  30 year lease on 4 rai of prime river front land is crazily cheap.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

While I agree it should, it rarely does. 

Same here I agree bidding should take place and even if it does nothing is guaranteed but its better then this. Bad show for the junta if they let this go on. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“The tower will be a new landmark in Bangkok. It will house a museum about Thailand’s history and monarchy,” he said.

It will house a museum about the monarchy, so that we can prosecute anyone we want who speaks out against this project. In other words: we will LM your ass.

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have seen loads of corruption on the other side.. now I see some corruption on this side.. and guess what unlike many on this forum..wink wink wink... I comment on the faults on both sides. Haven't seen you do that. 

Well said, and like you I am reluctant to say positive things because the anti-junta brigade 'own' TV and will jump all over you. Many 'rational' TV posters follow the same path - they dont bother getting into argument with them.

Personally, I see more positive than negative from the junta, and I see the same 'asian' way of doing business as has been done here for a very long time. This tower project is no different from all of the other projects that have been done for hundreds of years.  This aint a nanny state western country - and long may it remain that way.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Corruption until now, although everywhere, had no face or a physical

now it has, a huge tall building, it should be named corruption tower form,

maybe it kind of payments for someone, a group, for their support of

a certain head figure to be where he's now....

And the government decisions / actions should not be named policies anymore: corrupcies has a much better ring to it... :smile:

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

In the Bangkok Post it claims that the project was first raised by the CEO of Magnolia Corporation as chair of the Bangkok Observation Tower Foundation. Other Directors of the foundation happen to be Directors of Siam Piwat who together with Magnolia are developing Icon Siam a huge mixed use project which just happens to be on the adjacent plot to this.

Umm, nothing to see here then...... If the 'philanthropists' in those major conglomerates want to build it let the plot go out to open tender. 70 million baht for  30 year lease on 4 rai of prime river front land is crazily cheap.

In 30 years the land will be worth nothing unless you want to buy a lake.

6 hours ago, bill59 said:

Corruption in Thailand is part of their government fabric. They wouldn't know how to do anything without it. No suprise here. We all know the anti corruption campaign is just window dressing that means nothing. Throw a few expendables off the bridge for the public but that's all it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

To be fair after moving from Thailand to China two years ago i see quite clearly where the Thai “Government fabric" comes from!!

The first question that springs to mind is, what's the rush?  Thailand has done without the Tower up to now and I am sure the economy is not going to collapse if whoever wants the Tower built, waits until the proper due process (bidding) is completed and everyone can see that it is above board (transparency).

11 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

The first question that springs to mind is, what's the rush?  Thailand has done without the Tower up to now and I am sure the economy is not going to collapse if whoever wants the Tower built, waits until the proper due process (bidding) is completed and everyone can see that it is above board (transparency).

The billionaires behind ICONSIAM want the tower ready to draw customers to the area when their commercial developments open.

Not sure where the rumour started that Juntas and transparency are like peas in a pod.

Tower project passes all legal channels

By Thai PBS Reporters

2906003.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The State Enterprise Policy Office says the Bangkok Observation Tower project has sailed through all legal procedures before the government gave approval to its construction.

Mr Ekniti Nitithanprapas, the director-general of the State Enterprise Policy Office, said that the project has passed through the considerations of various agencies in accordance with the regulations.

He said the 4.6 billion baht and 459-metres high and tower would be developed on a plot of land in Charoen Nakhon area leased from the Finance Ministry’s Treasury Department.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tower-project-passes-legal-channels/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-29

Please allow me to go back to the topic...: the fears expressed by a non-official anti-corruption group (the official ones being

safely silent, considering who's in favour of the project...).

IMHO, there are no less than SIX different 'potential' sources of corruption:

1) the abuse of public land to erect a private building to profit to some 'influential persons' only;

2) the way-too-low price put forward for the leasing of that land, to profit to...;

3) the building(?!) of the tower to be 'possibly' conceded, without open bidding, to some, erm, well-connected contractor;

4) the tower can be expected to raise the value of the large construction project the same 'influential persons' are busy with

all around that tower-to-be;

5) the expectable hike in profitability for the businesses those 'influential persons' will run/rent out around the tower;

6) the management, and maintenance contracts for the tower ...when it ever gets finished.

What I am yet damn sure about is though:

- there will be corruption, judging 'by the smell', there is already, considering the rush(!) and shortcuts we are made aware of;

- though announced as 'privately financed', many (most?) of the (big) bills will, in the (bitter?) end be footed by the taxpayers.

Doing very little to fight against corruption, for sure when the results of measures announced are concerned, is one thing.

BUT creating new corruption is yet another.

And that, I guess, for many (most?) of the (initial) supporters of the present regime (including this Farang) does come as a bad surprise.

The small sample of public opinion I know of has turned sour and negative about uncle and his (big) brass band, what it does express in the usual Thai: it doesn't (in which valid way could it express itself openly without taking big risks, and who would be listening and could rush to help...?), the silence seems to be spreading, also on the Friday evenings, when it looks like many TVs

are 'off', in Thai homes where only Thai channels are available...

12 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Please allow me to go back to the topic...: the fears expressed by a non-official anti-corruption group (the official ones being

safely silent, considering who's in favour of the project...).

IMHO, there are no less than SIX different 'potential' sources of corruption:

1) the abuse of public land to erect a private building to profit to some 'influential persons' only;

2) the way-too-low price put forward for the leasing of that land, to profit to...;

3) the building(?!) of the tower to be 'possibly' conceded, without open bidding, to some, erm, well-connected contractor;

4) the tower can be expected to raise the value of the large construction project the same 'influential persons' are busy with

all around that tower-to-be;

5) the expectable hike in profitability for the businesses those 'influential persons' will run/rent out around the tower;

6) the management, and maintenance contracts for the tower ...when it ever gets finished.

What I am yet damn sure about is though:

- there will be corruption, judging 'by the smell', there is already, considering the rush(!) and shortcuts we are made aware of;

- though announced as 'privately financed', many (most?) of the (big) bills will, in the (bitter?) end be footed by the taxpayers.

Doing very little to fight against corruption, for sure when the results of measures announced are concerned, is one thing.

BUT creating new corruption is yet another.

And that, I guess, for many (most?) of the (initial) supporters of the present regime (including this Farang) does come as a bad surprise.

The small sample of public opinion I know of has turned sour and negative about uncle and his (big) brass band, what it does express in the usual Thai: it doesn't (in which valid way could it express itself openly without taking big risks, and who would be listening and could rush to help...?), the silence seems to be spreading, also on the Friday evenings, when it looks like many TVs

are 'off', in Thai homes where only Thai channels are available...

And so what use are the "official anti-corruption groups" when they won't voice opposition to something like this due to fear of their masters? Do you not see that as a major problem, one that diminishes their standing and value and makes a mockery of the whole concept of a watchdog? Corruption is not just money changing hands, it's the destruction of integrity and institutions and the coopting of them for political gain. Any watchdog without the balls to speak about obvious and open problems is a neutered bitch.

Edited by JCauto