TV host ‘Nott’ gets one year suspended jail term in 'kraab rot ku' case

webfact

TV host ‘Nott’ gets one year suspended jail term in 'kraab rot ku' case
By The Nation

6f521e780560530e25fccf45ce5b416c.jpeg

File photo

BANGKOK: -- Actor and TV host Akanat “Nott” Ariyaritwikul and his friend were sentenced to a one year suspended jail term on Friday for assaulting a messenger and forcing him to kowtow to his car in a notorious road rage case wildly known with the hashtag “kraab rot ku”.

The Criminal Court found Akanat and his friend, Wittawat Sribunditmongkol, guilty of assaulting and violating the liberty of Kittisak Singto, 25, following a road accident on November 4, last year.

The court initially sentenced Akanat and Wittawat to two years in jail each, but the court commuted the jail term by half because they pleaded guilty.

The court suspended the jail term on the grounds that the two defendants have never been jailed.

They were instead ordered to carry out 24 hours of community service and to report to the authorities four times every three months.

Kittisak’s lawyer, Songkran Atchariyasap, said the co-plaintiff would not appeal against the ruling because Akanat has paid compensation of Bt180,000. Akanat agreed to pay the compensation in an out-of-court settlement reached on May 24.

Thousands of people have watched the video posted online that appears to show Akanat punching Kittisak in the face on a Bangkok street last November 4, allegedly demanding that he apologise for a collision that left the TV star’s Mini Cooper damaged.

Kittisak claimed his motorbike had been knocked off balance by a passing taxi and he struck Akanat’s car. He said he tried to chase the taxi, but then returned to the scene and was assaulted by Akanat, who ordered him to kraab, or show obeisance, to the Mini Cooper.

The words the celebrity used – “kraab rot ku”, or “kneel and wai before my car” – became a popular satirical hashtag on Twitter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319540

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-30

15 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

"The court suspended the jail term on the grounds that the two defendants have never been jailed."

No wonder people never get jailed when it takes a previous jail term to get jailed.

That is standard practice to not jail a person for a first offence for non serious crimes. 

Everyone messes up sometimes and deserves a second chance. 

His career is in tatters. 

He has already paid a very high price for a momentary fit of anger. 

15 minutes ago, greenchair said:

That is standard practice to not jail a person for a first offence for non serious crimes. 

I'd like to think you are right however, I seriously doubt his career is in shreds. 

He'll back soon enough. 

Edited by Bluespunk

47 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Comes to shows that you can take the man out of the village

but you can't take the village boorish mentality out of a man

regardless how hi-so he make himself to be....

9 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

thai logic: first timer could kill 30 people; suspended sentence ?

What case are you talking about , or did you just make a scenario up and critisise "Thai logic" for something that hasnt happened ?

"...one year suspended jail term..."

It appears that if you are someone who has the least bit of fame, assault and battery becomes "Boy will be boys". No matter how guilty the hi so is.

"The court suspended the jail term on the grounds that the two defendants have never been jailed."

Well, if they keep suspending jail sentences, they will never be considered "jailed", even if they commit murder. 

Edited by jaltsc

All he did was to punch someone in the face , after the person damaged his car .

Whilst not condoning his actions , it wasnt a prolonged violent assault using weapons and I do feel that no action would even have been taken against him, had he not been famous .

Any jail time would be a severe sentence , a minimal fine would be appropriate

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

I wouldn't consider dragging somebody off their motorbike, breaking their nose and then humiliating them whilst their minder stands guard a non serious crime.

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

He should have been flogged publically. The little peace of faeces. 

again we see how hi-so's and so called "stars" get special treatment from the court, this is bullsh*t and everyone knows it. What they did would have them in jail in any other country in the world, thai justice is a total joke.

22 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I wouldn't consider dragging somebody off their motorbike, breaking their nose and then humiliating them whilst their minder stands guard a non serious crime.

Serious meaning rape murder armed robbery. 

Anyway his sentence would be the same or less in every other court in the west. 

13 minutes ago, seajae said:

again we see how hi-so's and so called "stars" get special treatment from the court,

Specially severe .

A friend of mine got punched here in Thailand , received a broken nose .

The Police arrived .

The attacker agreed to pay any hospital bills , the attacked accepted and off the Police went .

No further action taken

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

No wonder people never get jailed when it takes a previous jail term to get jailed.

No point in the Red Bull scum coming back really, is there!

hmmmm Kneel and wai my Butt! how does that ryhme in Thai? As mentioned justice is different in Thailand. Either you become a monk immediately and escape Jail or you wai someones butt and get a shorter sentence. How many Farangs with no previous jail term have ended up in prison for ridiculous situations. Thailand same same but different alright.

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

report to the authorities four times every three months.. Does that mean for a year

Plus 24 hours of community service, and he's decided already he wants to give lectures to young people about anger management.

So here we do again, same same Honda hi so girl goes ahead and decides what community service she will do and is shocked when she's informed she's not following the rules about where / when / what service she will do.

Besides that point, in regard to nott, what does this boy know professionally about anger management, I very much doubt he knows anything about the subject and certainly not at a level of giving lectures.

Further, community service  is part of punishment and therefore should involve an activity which makes the fellon feel some type of pain, even if just embarrassment, but this boy tries to put himself back center stage, sickening. 

Edited by scorecard

9 hours ago, greenchair said:

Sorry, give me a moment while I wipe the tears NOT from my eyes, anger leads to outbursts, he took his anger out on someone, he assaulted him and made him get on his knees, he was asserting his authority over another human being.

He got off very lightly, at least the guy who got hit had a win monetarily, but that's all Thai's are interested in, the money, money, money and not the crime, personally I would have made him work with underprivileged people, so he can get a better understanding that we all smell the same.