Video: Who's in the wrong? Three injured as ambulance and pick-up collide in Ayutthaya

webfact

Video: Who's in the wrong? Three injured as ambulance and pick-up collide in Ayutthaya

2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

AYUTTHAYA: -- Daily News posed the question of who was to blame after an ambulance with siren blaring went through an amber light and hit a pick-up going through green.

The accident caught on CCTV injured three people in the ambulance - a sick 63 year old man being rushed to Somdej Phrasangkharat Hospital, a relative with him and a nurse.

1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

They were named as Narong Klinsukhon, Waree Klinsukhon, 38, and Phajongrak Chalutdong, 27, respectively.

The driver of the Isuzu pick-up that had gone through the green light, Somboon Paluang, 48, escaped injury.

Ambulance driver Thongchai Meechujai, 38, said he had his siren on and had slowed for the intersection going through an amber light when the collision occurred.

Daily News did not report on what the police intended to do in the matter.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-05

The ambulance driver, being a professional, should be well aware that, to a Thai, (and most other drivers for that matter) a green light means go. Whilst I appreciate that he wanted to get his patient to hospital quickly, he still has an obligation to obey traffic laws.

100% ambulance driver's fault IMO.,

Traffic Laws of Thailand

Section 75.  While driving an emergency vehicle to perform the duties, the driver has the following rights:

(1) to use blinking traffic light signal, siren sound signal, or other sound signal determined by the Commissioner-General;   

(2) to stop or park the vehicle at a no-parking area; 

(3) to drive faster than the determined speed limit;

(4) to drive passing any stopping traffic signal or traffic sign; provided that the vehicle must be slowed down as appropriate;  

(5) to refrain from compliance with the provisions of this Act or the traffic regulation concerning driving lane, direction or turning conveyance determined. 

In the operation under paragraph one, the driver must be careful as appropriate for the case.

Section 76. When a pedestrian, driver, rider or controller of animal sees an emergency vehicle using blinking traffic light signal, siren sound signal, or other sound signal determined by the Commissioner-General in the performance of duties, the pedestrian, driver, rider or controller of animal must allow the emergency vehicle pass first, by following the instructions as follows:

(1) the pedestrian must stop and keep away to the edge of road or up to the safety zone or the nearest road shoulder;  

(2) the driver must stop or park conveyance at the left edge of the road, or in case there is a bus lane at the extreme left side of the road, he or she must stop or park conveyance at the lane next to the bus lane, but it is prohibited to stop or park conveyance at the junction;  

(3) the rider or controller of animal must control animal to stop at the edge of the road, but it is prohibited to stop at the junction. 

In complying with (2) and (3) the driver, rider or controller of animal

must carry out as soon as possible and must be careful as appropriate for the case.

Methinks not open and shut case for either party.

Both drivers are in the wrong, neither of them were paying attention to the situation.

Just because you are driving an emergency vehicle does not give you the right of way, yes you can go through red lights, but only if it is safe to do so.

The ambulance is in the wrong if it's a controlled intersection as he failed to pay due care and attention.  Yes he can legally go through a red light with emergency lights and siren activated but must proceed with caution.  Been in this situation a hundred times, you edge forward into the intersection and when sure all other vehicles are aware of your presence you put the foot down again.  If the intersection isn't controlled then the pickup is at fault as he failed to give way to a vehicle on his right.   Having said that I'm well away of the Thai attitude towards emergency vehicles,  they don't give a stuff about them and it's still the me, me, me first attitude.

over the many years here, it would appear most drivers take no notice of a emergency vehicles with siren and flashing lights...

If the ambulance driver was Thai he should have understood this and slowed a lot more, expecting the Pickup to take no notice of his flashing light and siren.

The pickup could just as easily be another  emergency vehicle

Edited by ignis

So one light was amber and the other green? I don't think so

Ambulance driver is to blame, I was a class 2 driver in the police and whilst we could break the speed limit, go through red lights, wrong side of the road etc you were always open to prosecution should you have an accident or cause an accident. It is up to you, not other drivers, to ensure the safety. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Ambulance driver Thongchai Meechujai, 38, said he had his siren on and had slowed for the intersection going through an amber light

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver of the Isuzu pick-up that had gone through the green light

Who's going to defend the traffic lights :post-4641-1156694606::post-4641-1156693976:

25 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

Ambulance driver is to blame, I was a class 2 driver in the police and whilst we could break the speed limit, go through red lights, wrong side of the road etc you were always open to prosecution should you have an accident or cause an accident. It is up to you, not other drivers, to ensure the safety. 

was following this this & it took 11 posts to say the lights were at fault (would of been a lot more accidents prior if set like that )

I would say the Ambo was at fault since there would be nothing like having the power of I'm an emergency vehicle & always have the right of way

Just watched video & to me it looks like the Ambo had to go around vehicles otherwise i'm sure it would of been in a straighter line

Edited by BEVUP

Can't see the stop lines or the lights themselves so not an easy call.

Pickup must have been quick off the mark (most unusual) or anticipating the lights to get where he was in the time between the ambulance going through a (very late) amber and his light going green.

Could easily have been a typical Thai motorcyclist rather than an ambulance.

I put it 50-50.

36 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

I was thinking about this over breakfast. You're right of course, green and amber would never be illuminated simultaneously. 

So one of these two drivers is, shall we say, confused about the traffic light colour. 

2 hours ago, davehowden said:

A siren does not automatically give you right of way.

The pickup driver could be deaf (not part of the driving test) and he was on a green light apparently.

but was he blind?  notice all the flashing lights?

3 hours ago, davehowden said:

A siren does not automatically give you right of way.

The pickup driver could be deaf (not part of the driving test) and he was on a green light apparently.

I don't know which country you are from but in my civilized country if the ambulance has his siren going and lights flashing you better give it the right-of-way or be ready to pay a heavy fine if you are caught. 

Have a look at the video during 03-05 seconds while looking at the traffic lights to the right.

If I am not mistaken you will see the green and green right turn signal flashing and turn off so I assume then red for both. The van to the right has already stopped due to green for the right turn light from the opposite direction.

So the pick-up truck driver is lying and has gone through a red light.

What he thinks is that as it was green way back on his approach, no need to look again and just keep driving. 

35 minutes ago, Gunna said:

Have a look at the video during 03-05 seconds while looking at the traffic lights to the right.

If I am not mistaken you will see the green and green right turn signal flashing and turn off so I assume then red for both. The van to the right has already stopped due to green for the right turn light from the opposite direction.

So the pick-up truck driver is lying and has gone through a red light.

What he thinks is that as it was green way back on his approach, no need to look again and just keep driving. 

Not red for both according to the article. The ambulance driver (if believed) went through an amber light aka yellow light that follows a green light and precedes a red light. During that period the pickup would have had a red light.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

They are both to blame, they should have slowed down approaching the crossroads, common sense should have told both of them to approach with caution as no one had the right of way.

I never noticed any traffic lights, beside green means you only go if it is safe to do so.

The pick-up went through on a red light.

Ignore the first few seconds of the video, which only shows the collision. In the more full version, look at the top right corner of the screen and you can see a green light. A few vehicles go through on green, then the light starts to flash. When the flashing light stops the light is on red. Now the pick-up appears in the picture.

Pick-up was trying to beat the lights and failed.

Hard to see whether the light was red for the ambulance, but it seems it was anticipating the green light and didn't take enough care.

9 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

I don't know which country you are from but in my civilized country if the ambulance has his siren going and lights flashing you better give it the right-of-way or be ready to pay a heavy fine if you are caught. 

Yes but we are here in Thailand where "civilized" actions/thoughts are not even considered....:whistling:

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The ambulance driver, being a professional, should be well aware that, to a Thai, (and most other drivers for that matter) a green light means go. Whilst I appreciate that he wanted to get his patient to hospital quickly, he still has an obligation to obey traffic laws.

100% ambulance driver's fault IMO.,

Absolutely correct, the ambulance driver has to obey all laws of the road, at all times.

However in the case of an emergency they may make such maneuvers but only with extreme caution, which he plainly was not showing!

The truck driver maintains his traffic lights indicated green which is why he was going through the intersection as normal, the ambulance driver say's his were indicating amber... someone is telling porkies !

In the natural sequence of lights this cannot happen!

Edited by hotchilli

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Both drivers are in the wrong, neither of them were paying attention to the situation.

Just because you are driving an emergency vehicle does not give you the right of way, yes you can go through red lights, but only if it is safe to do so.

Agree, however I think the ute should have proceeded with caution and I am wondering why the minivan on the opposite side of the road heading towards the ute, stopped, did he have a green light also, but hear the ambulance approaching, I mean you would have to be stone deaf not to hear an ambulance ?

The biggest one in the wrong in my opinion is the government, because they have no delay when the lights go from amber to red, and then green straight away for the other traffic, meaning there is no delay if someone over runs the red.

I know in Sydney Australia, there is a delay, i.e. I am going in a straight direction, light goes to amber, and there is a delay before it goes to red, on top of that, there is a delay before the lights turn green for the other cars, just in case a car has over run the red, hopefully with the red being a red light camera, e.g. busted and ticket in the mail.

Would love to see Thailand adopt the same system whereby there is a delay on lights changing from amber to red, and green for the traffic waiting, surely would reduce deaths and casualties. 

4 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Actually none of them were wrong because both drivers are Thai and as we all know no Thai is ever wrong

This is the correct answer. You win the internet today.

"Daily News posed the question of who was to blame after an ambulance with siren blaring went through an amber light and hit a pick-up going through green."

If the ambulance went through amber, I would say the pickup driver went through red, judging by tbe speed he was doing when the 2 vehicles collided.  Also, there was a van that had obviously stopped for a red light opposite the pickup.  

I would blame Somchai in the pickup for the usual "Me, Me, Me" attitude.

Personally I no longer notice siren and blinking light, since so many civilian Thais use it.

I normally move the foot to the break paddle and prepare for emergency beak, when I
see a white wan. Since most times it is an insane mini-wan chauffeur.

Maybe our PM should ask the police to do something about the many civilian Thais who use blinking light and siren.....:whistling: