wallpaper

blueeyes

havent seen it here at all, even basic preparation gear is not here, while it is great for cracking and a smooth surface  etc the fact most walls are rendered so therefore not level would be the bigger problem. If the walls were gyprock/dry wall it would be much better as no lining paper would be needed but unfortunately the way thais build doesnt lend itself to that.

Edited by seajae

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Thanks for reply I guess I will have to take a chance and just hang the paper without lining walls.

Personally i dont think it will last long with the heat and humidity. But let us know how it goes please would be interested to know

32 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Personally i dont think it will last long with the heat and humidity. But let us know how it goes please would be interested to know

Well if done right will last

Have a well off women across the road who had this done as the place was being built, not sure of the procedure but she also had some of the roofs done ( in the bathroom ) as i just found out 

Its' been a year + but now the place is to small so she will just buy another one

3 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well if done right will last

Have a well off women across the road who had this done as the place was being built, not sure of the procedure but she also had some of the roofs done ( in the bathroom ) as i just found out 

Its' been a year + but now the place is to small so she will just buy another one

To be done correctly her walls would have been plastered and skimmed correctly. As another poster said thats not tbe Thai style. But yes you could getbit done that way. Personaly i do like wall paper but only beacuse thats how i was brought up in UK.

Here I really dont think i would bother a nice coat of Paint on the walls and ceilings can feel just as homley. Plus the chitchat (geko's dragons whatever you like to call them) droppings and the ants would destroy the wall paper eventually. 

On 8/15/2017 at 8:53 AM, jeab1980 said:

To be done correctly her walls would have been plastered and skimmed correctly. As another poster said thats not tbe Thai style. But yes you could getbit done that way. Personaly i do like wall paper but only beacuse thats how i was brought up in UK.

Here I really dont think i would bother a nice coat of Paint on the walls and ceilings can feel just as homley. Plus the chitchat (geko's dragons whatever you like to call them) droppings and the ants would destroy the wall paper eventually. 

Our wallpaper, living room dining room, 5 bedrooms, all hallways, 2nd level lobby area installed by building contractor who built our whole village 6.5 years back, never a problem in any way (except kids dirty hand marks etc.), no cracks or loose edges, nothing eaten by ants etc., no mould anywgere. As promised by contractor all walls were prepared very well, very straight / very smooth. Contractor was well organized, all walls had to dry for 14 days before wallpaper hung.

I lived in two houses that had wallpaper throughout.   I assume it was installed when the houses were built.   It seems to have been installed well, but it had yellowed and aged and through normal activity it had tears in some areas that were expanding (I assume from moving furniture and starting a small nick).   I tried to carefully clean the walls, but a lot of stains would not come out and the end result was that the stains stood out more!

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Our wallpaper, living room dining room, 5 bedrooms, all hallways, 2nd level lobby area installed by building contractor who built our whole village 6.5 years back, never a problem in any way

Similar experience.  The only frustration is that the contractor used a rubber-based adhesive for the wallpaper making it very difficult to take off and replace.  However, I'm guessing there must be some issue with traditional wallpaper paste here.  Perhaps the humidity? Cockroaches?

10 hours ago, Scott said:

I lived in two houses that had wallpaper throughout.   I assume it was installed when the houses were built.   It seems to have been installed well, but it had yellowed and aged and through normal activity it had tears in some areas that were expanding (I assume from moving furniture and starting a small nick).   I tried to carefully clean the walls, but a lot of stains would not come out and the end result was that the stains stood out more!

My wall-papered condo is about 15 years old and the 'paper'  was starting to look shabby in the living room. So against all smart advice I painted the walls with a matt vinyl and am very pleased with the results. No blistering etc. as predicted by the experts. Cleaning the gecko shit trails is pretty effective. But when I was touching up some paper tears I realised that the 'paper' was in fact plastic backed, so this probably helped.

Our wallpaper is about 7 years old now and done by contractor who built the house. It still looks good but at some edges it became yellow, guess from the glue.

Our wallpaper also has been in the flooding but that didn't damage it...The plints lost their paint though, they should be waterproof as well for a flooding area.

I know that in Europe they sell glue which doesn't get yellow by time.

• 3 weeks later...

I did one room a couple years ago with paper from UK and paste from Thailand (arm and a leg price)

without cross lining and it went quite well, last year I had to stick back 2 or 3 edges which had came away (hence I was asking about cross lining) so far so good no more edges loose. but cross lining would have helped I think.

walls are typical Thai render but quite smooth.