Prayuth: Those Who Believe Junta Will Hold Power 20 Years Not Thai

rooster59

Prayuth: Those Who Believe Junta Will Hold Power 20 Years Not Thai

Untitled-696x522.jpg

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha speaks during his weekly Friday address broadcast nationwide.

BANGKOK — The prime minister said during his weekly televised address Friday night that he didn’t consider those who believe the military junta will hold power for another 10 to 20 years to be Thai.

Towards the end of his 41-minute address – which all free television stations are required to broadcast every week – Junta leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha Prayuth said his government and the National Council for Peace and Order, the formal name of the junta, do not seek to be in power for 10 or 20 years as feared by opponents and critics.

“We do not wish to control politics or democracy for the next 10 to 20 years. For those who think that of us, I do not consider them to be Thai,” said Prayuth, who staged the May 2014 coup before making himself prime minister.

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-08

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

So, I guess a very large percentage of the population are now no longer Thai? 

Sino Thai. Bangkok has the largest population of Chinese of any city in the world, Outside mainland China

44 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“We do not wish to control politics or democracy for the next 10 to 20 years. For those who think that of us, I do not consider them to be Thai,” said Prayuth

I don't believe he is speaking about foreigners.

Seems to me that he addressing Thais and is saying - "If you don't agree with me, you are not a true Thai".

He has said similar things about Thais abroad who have criticized the junta.

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

History has shown that no group has ruled Thailand for 10 continuous years in the modern era of politics.

Yeah, what's the chance they will go 20 or even 10 years without a coup ? Has it ever happened before ?

Having a difference of opinion from the PM disqualifies you as a Thai.

Not many countries where the citizens would put up with that kind of statement.

Maybe what he is saying is, the test of being Thai is whether or not you roll over and take it.

I thought he had been instructed by the higher powers to stop insulting foreigners, blaming everything that is wrong with Thailand on foreigners, and behave himself. Here he goes again. His ignorance knows no bounds. 

One wonders what these guys are thinking. Are they thinking? Do they want us out? Are they deliberately trying to discourage us from living here? Sooner or later many of us will move on. A lot of foreigners who live her, bring alot to the table. They contribute to their communities on alot of levels. Whether it be through business, a different perspective (that this place so desperately needs), or just the income they spend here, they are enriching Thailand with their presence, in my opinion. And a smart, forward thinking, and visionary government would take that into account, and make things easier, not harder. Granted there are some here who are undesirable. But, there are ways of screening them, without putting the burden on most of us, who are hard working souls, or retired individuals, who lead good, honest lives, and do not bring harm to anyone in the process.

To the new commissioner, and Little P., I have this to say: Get a life, and try to peer outside of that ridiculously tiny box of convention that you live within. There is a whole world out there. Repeat after me 100 times. Thailand is not the center of the universe.

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I thought he had been instructed by the higher powers to stop insulting foreigners, blaming everything that is wrong with Thailand on foreigners, and behave himself. Here he goes again. His ignorance knows no bounds. 

One wonders what these guys are thinking. Are they thinking? Do they want us out? Are they deliberately trying to discourage us from living here? Sooner or later many of us will move on. A lot of foreigners who live her, bring alot to the table. They contribute to their communities on alot of levels. Whether it be through business, a different perspective (that this place so desperately needs), or just the income they spend here, they are enriching Thailand with their presence, in my opinion. And a smart, forward thinking, and visionary government would take that into account, and make things easier, not harder. Granted there are some here who are undesirable. But, there are ways of screening them, without putting the burden on most of us, who are hard working souls, or retired individuals, who lead good, honest lives, and do not bring harm to anyone in the process.

To the new commissioner, and Little P., I have this to say: Get a life, and try to peer outside of that ridiculously tiny box of convention that you live within. There is a whole world out there. Repeat after me 100 times. Thailand is not the center of the universe.

hate to say this, but he ain't talking about us,. He is, saying if you are Thai and don't agree with him, then you are not a true Thai. Got nothing to do with us. 

58 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't think he was talking about foreigners.  I think he was speaking about anyone that is technically speaking Thai but that doesn't agree with him and love his poems. I think he must already know that foreigners and those pesky Thai expats that live abroad think he's a clown.

32 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

hate to say this, but he ain't talking about us,. He is, saying if you are Thai and don't agree with him, then you are not a true Thai. Got nothing to do with us. 

You are probably right. But that is such sensationalistic, nationalistic drivel. Nothing behind it but hot air, and enormous amounts of ignorance. If you are Thai you are a perfect person. If you are Thai you suck it up, and tolerate anything, or anyone. If you are Thai you never, ever complain about your leaders, even if they are self appointed. Nothing short of the rantings of a megalomaniac. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

"I thought he had been instructed by the higher powers to stop insulting foreigners, ..."

Pardon me, but who are the "higher powers" to whom you are referring? Isn't  Prayuth the highest "power" fueled by 44 'octane'.?