Mouse and rat traps

Grubster

Does anybody know where they sell mouse and rat traps here in Thailand. I mean the spring type, smack em in the back and kill em type. The ones you put a little cheese or peanut butter on the little trip lever. Thanks in advance.

I paid 70 baht each for box type live-capture traps and caught the culprits (4 of them) in 2 days.  They're pretty ubiquitous in all the local hardware stores.  Can't speak for the classic death traps, and I'll never use the sticky paper again- too cruel for me.

Thought I was going to get arrested when I brought one over to Q Sirikit Park for a live release.  Fortunately, the guy I regularly rent a canoe from came over and spoke up on my behalf to the security guy.  Go figure...

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I paid 70 baht each for box type live-capture traps and caught the culprits (4 of them) in 2 days.  They're pretty ubiquitous in all the local hardware stores.  Can't speak for the classic death traps, and I'll never use the sticky paper again- too cruel for me.

Thought I was going to get arrested when I brought one over to Q Sirikit Park for a live release.  Fortunately, the guy I regularly rent a canoe from came over and spoke up on my behalf to the security guy.  Go figure...

That is a bit like throwing your rubbish over the fence into your neighbours garden.

1 minute ago, phuketjock said:

That is a bit like throwing your rubbish over the fence into your neighbours garden.

It's a public park- green space.  With hungry monitor lizards and hundreds of critters living there already.  It would have been much easier and closer to dump the guy into a neighbor's garden.

death traps with peanut  butter............pretty fast death and the peanut  butter is  too alluring for them, dont get many but last week one  of the  buggers dared to eat one  of my rarer  plants.........dont think he'll be doing it again. Had a surprised  look on his face thats for sure

This is the spring  type, available many hardware  stores 70 baht

20170614_062337.jpg

Edited by kannot

16 hours ago, impulse said:

I can't speak for the classic death traps, and I'll never use the sticky paper again- too cruel for me.

I understand about the sticky paper, but it worked much better than the other kinds for me. The rats are smart enough to figure out other types of traps pretty quickly and avoid them. I sprinkled a few peanuts on the glue and it would always  work. The main negative is that I felt sorry for them and you have to kill them yourself. I don't see the point of just moving them somewhere else. 

OK thanks everybody, I guess I just figured with all the rat poison [ that doesn't work] and sticky traps at Global, Big C and Makro, but no spring traps that Maybe I was going to have to order them through the mail or something, I will check the local hardwares now. I don't like the sticky traps either, much to cruel for me and after I caught a few lizards and a snake in one, that was it, no more.

19 hours ago, impulse said:

It's a public park- green space.  With hungry monitor lizards and hundreds of critters living there already.  It would have been much easier and closer to dump the guy into a neighbor's garden.

That is even worse imo, you don't want these rats, which possibly carry some horrible diseases around your

garden but you are happy to release your vermin into a public park, everyones garden, how selfish is that?

If you don't, wont, or cant dispose of these rats yourself then pay someone like rentokil to do your dirty work

for you instead of dumping your vermin on families and kids whom i am sure frequent this public park.

Keep them or kill them yourself it is not OK to pass your problem on to others!!!!        :post-4641-1156693976: 

2 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

That is even worse imo, you don't want these rats, which possibly carry some horrible diseases around your

garden but you are happy to release your vermin into a public park, everyones garden, how selfish is that?

If you don't, wont, or cant dispose of these rats yourself then pay someone like rentokil to do your dirty work

for you instead of dumping your vermin on families and kids whom i am sure frequent this public park.

Keep them or kill them yourself it is not OK to pass your problem on to others!!!!        

My problem?  I didn't breed 'em.  I didn't invite them in.  They came from somewhere and I just put them back.  Where they belong.  The great out of doors. 

They were mice, not rats.  They'll go quite well with the thousands of rodents that already live in every acre of Bangkok.  Just not in my 70 sq meters.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

My problem?  I didn't breed 'em.  I didn't invite them in.  They came from somewhere and I just put them back.  Where they belong.  The great out of doors. 

They were mice, not rats.  They'll go quite well with the thousands of rodents that already live in every acre of Bangkok.  Just not in my 70 sq meters.

Rats and mice are a very important part of nature and I see no harm in releasing them back to nature, I never kill a snake, I just toss them over the wall into the rice patty. I will be killing my mice and rats as those kill traps are the only thing that has worked well for me in the past. To each his own. Cheers

9 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Rats and mice are a very important part of nature and I see no harm in releasing them back to nature, I never kill a snake, I just toss them over the wall into the rice patty. I will be killing my mice and rats as those kill traps are the only thing that has worked well for me in the past. To each his own. Cheers

Call me a wimp, but the older I get, the more effort I'm willing to make to not kill anything when I have a choice.  And if I do have to kill something, I'm willing to make an effort to do it as humanely as possible.  And willing to put out the effort to reduce the chances of collateral death and suffering caused by indiscriminate traps and poison.  

Had the live-capture traps not worked, I'd have gone to the next level.  But that wasn't necessary in this case.  

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

Call me a wimp, but the older I get, the more effort I'm willing to make to not kill anything when I have a choice.  And if I do have to kill something, I'm willing to make an effort to do it as humanely as possible.  And willing to put out the effort to reduce the chances of collateral death and suffering caused by indiscriminate traps and poison.  

Had the live-capture traps not worked, I'd have gone to the next level.  But that wasn't necessary in this case.  

I think age brings compassion in most people, I was a fur trapper when I was young, I killed anything that would make a buck. I had many cats and dogs in my traps, the dogs were always so happy to see me that they were very easy to release and take for care if needed, cats would jump five feet in the air with their claws lashing out, I would have to find a big stick, pin him down with it and then release them, skunks had to be shot. There is no way I could do all that now. Actually trapping is good for a healthy environment if done right and I am not opposed to it. Farming practices have nearly eliminated all these critters from my home area in the States.