Another Shinawatra family member most likely to head Pheu Thai Party

webfact

15 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not to mention TS was the only PM to ever in Thai history to serve a full term, and the only PM to be re-elected. 

Remarkable achievements.

Even more remarkable was he announced publicly that he was granting Myanmar a low interest loan to buy telcom products from his company. Just like the current announcement, I don't think he had any idea that others might object. His concept of right and wrong seem to be completely based on self interest.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Two landslides it was. 

Remarkable stuff. 

There were scenes of elation all around the country after both victories in 2001 and 2005. 

Someone didn't like that though.

Despite the 'landslide' in 2005, in 2006 he was seeking another election. do you remember why?

46 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Funny, that is exactly how I view the current 'government'.

At least the people chose to elect Thaksin though eh?

Chose, nope wrong word - paid, brought, or conned, is a far better choice. 

3 hours ago, bangrak said:

And Chuan Leepkai had no reason to tell what he regretted the most was to have raised a viper under his wing, talking about a certain Thaksin he had groomed for many years inside the DP, after Thaksin's father and uncle Damapong, both DP MPs(!) had pushed him so hard to do, before the whole family betrayed him, and the DP...

A rogue one it might have become in the end, but you can't have more of a Chuan 'disciple' than Mr Thaksin himself...

(PS: the healthcare plan Thaksin is so famed for having thought out and introduced, was in fact already perfectly worked out by the last Chuan Government, and was totally ready to be introduced, as soon as the DP would have won the next election, but they lost to...)

Diddums. A good politician doesn't care where the good ideas come from. He uses them. It's entirely hypothetical of course but we don't know that the Dems would have got the health care plan through. Thaksin did

2 hours ago, phycokiller said:

Im totally against the unsayable in power now, but if this is the best they can do Im all for them staying on until this family has died out. its just going to lead to another coup when they try to get taxin into the country again, which they will. why does thailand have to be ruled by morons. maybe a civil war is really the best solution, at least it might kill a few off

Then obviously you're not totally against the unsayable (and what exactly do you mean by that anyway?)

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

How true and I would add: they don't want to vote democrat because they listened to (no choice but to listen at the village democracy school), numerous / repeated well scripted hate messages and been forced to listen to doctored audio and video tapes. Plus in many areas the dems didn't campaign because they were frightened to go into the area and no dem literature was distributed because nobody be brave enough to do so.

Well I suppose that's what some call democracy! 

The picture you paint here  seems a bit like the junta's constitution vote. No dissent, no argument, no criticism allowed. 

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

How true and I would add: they don't want to vote democrat because they listened to (no choice but to listen at the village democracy school), numerous / repeated well scripted hate messages and been forced to listen to doctored audio and video tapes. Plus in many areas the dems didn't campaign because they were frightened to go into the area and no dem literature was distributed because nobody be brave enough to do so.

Well I suppose that's what some call democracy! 

Exactly how were they forced to listen? A gun at their heads? 

Even more remarkable was he announced publicly that he was granting Myanmar a low interest loan to buy telcom products from his company. Just like the current announcement, I don't think he had any idea that others might object. His concept of right and wrong seem to be completely based on self interest.

Do you understand what official export credits are.They are designed to offer low interest loans to support exports.That is their entire point.The problem was not the low interest loans to Myanmar.The problem was that Thaksin did not have a blind trust arrangement when he was in power.For that he must be condemned but given his technology business interests it was entirely understandable his companies would be exporting to regional countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, robblok said:

They don't have an other choice.. they don't want to vote democrat.. so they vote PTP no matter what devil is in charge. Now if they had a saying in who led the party things might be different. 

IMHO the Democrats as they are now with the current laedership and Abhisit as PM elect couldn't win an election in Thailand if they were the only party to run.

What they NEED to do is to dump the current party executives and bring in fresh leaders who are under 60 years old and to dump Abhisit.

He carries too much baggage from 2010 as do the party leaders.

Whilst he may be a nice guy, a fair leader, speaks good English etc he cannot win an election and he still keeps in touch with Suthep which is about the worst thing he can do.

The Democrats (and the PTP) have about a year to rebuild their parties before the next (possibly) election and neither party wants to change.

So instead of Thailand getting the best of the best to run the country, it will get the worst of the mediocre parties challenging the "new" military party.

What a dismal future for my wife and son to look forward too.

7 hours ago, JAG said:

Samak was removed by the Shinawatras then?

Funny, I could have sworn he was knocked off his perch by a court case - something about a cooking show?

You are correct, BUT, he could quite legally have been re-instated as PM if the PPP had wished to do so.

However the PPP party owner had different ideas and wanted to keep the PM ship "in the family so to speak".

5 hours ago, Ricardo said:

But are they ?

I think it would be informative if there were a non-Shin-dominated populist-movement available, as an alternative to the existing well-oiled TRT/PPP/PTP machine, perhaps one might have formed around the UDD, had they not been drawn into PTP ?

We might then discover whether the voters really want that one-family political dynasty, and the loose coalition of rich/influential regional-supporters who inevitably come with it, or are merely chosing it as currently the least-bad alternative ?

In fairness I would hasten to add that the Dems appear little better, there are undoubtedly well-entrenched elites supporting them too, I wish Abhisit &  Korn might break-away from them, but doubt that they can/will.

This is drifting off-topic, which is the likelihood that the next PM (or at least leader of the PTP) will be drawn yet again from the same family, and who has the final-decision on the choice.

Korn I agree with, but Abhisit is simply the kiss of death to any political party.

IMHO the Democrats as they are now with the current laedership and Abhisit as PM elect couldn't win an election in Thailand if they were the only party to run.

What they NEED to do is to dump the current party executives and bring in fresh leaders who are under 60 years old and to dump Abhisit.

He carries too much baggage from 2010 as do the party leaders.

Whilst he may be a nice guy, a fair leader, speaks good English etc he cannot win an election and he still keeps in touch with Suthep which is about the worst thing he can do.

The Democrats (and the PTP) have about a year to rebuild their parties before the next (possibly) election and neither party wants to change.

So instead of Thailand getting the best of the best to run the country, it will get the worst of the mediocre parties challenging the "new" military party.

What a dismal future for my wife and son to look forward too.

Why do you call him a nice guy? He was responsible as PM for the deaths of nearly 100 people. Some might call him a cold-blooded murderer

2 hours ago, esprit said:

And so they should as they have shown that they are the only competent party economically.  Under TS they paid back the IMF early, the only country in the world to do so.

Still the only democratically elected party to have twice been over thrown by the military. Is it any wonder the world now views Thailand, and other ASEAN members states, as a pariah state ?

Most of which was already paid back by the Democrtas under Chuan Leekpai.

1 hour ago, tomta said:

Diddums. A good politician doesn't care where the good ideas come from. He uses them. It's entirely hypothetical of course but we don't know that the Dems would have got the health care plan through. Thaksin did

With a house full of yes men who take direction without question. 

2 hours ago, tomta said:

Then obviously you're not totally against the unsayable (and what exactly do you mean by that anyway?)

lets put it this way. some countries are run by whats called military dictatorships. but Thailand is not, you will have to ask the people that run the forum what the form of government Thailand has is called because I really cant remember. I have no problem with the pheu thai party running the country, I just find it remarkable that the only leaders they can find all happen to be brothers or sisters. its like a plague of inbreeding and it will lead to another coup when they try to bring Thaksin back as they always do. so silly for them to continue down the same nepotistic path, its like groundhog day, even if nepotist governments are in vogue even in the free world these days.

Edited by phycokiller

40 minutes ago, jayboy said:

The question arises since the drugs war was a genuine human rights abuse which could definitely be pinned on TS, why did his enemies never consider for one second prosecuting him for this or seek his extradition - at a time they were desperate to charge him.

For a time the possibility was discussed but never followed up on - for reasons which can only be speculated on.The horror and pain caused by drugs in Thailand and the universal detestation of the criminals involved was never of much interest to the Thaksin haters.They mainly saw the drugs war as a political weapon against Thaksin.When they considered the implications and understood who actually had provided support for the war, they soon fell silent.

in Thailand power and money will put you beyond any laws, theres only one person that can stop you and thats the head of the army, and the head of the Thai army is not who its usually assumed to be, but thats another open secret

Edited by phycokiller

11 hours ago, jayboy said:

Do you understand what official export credits are.They are designed to offer low interest loans to support exports.That is their entire point.The problem was not the low interest loans to Myanmar.The problem was that Thaksin did not have a blind trust arrangement when he was in power.For that he must be condemned but given his technology business interests it was entirely understandable his companies would be exporting to regional countries.

Do you understand I wasn't criticising the method of his corruption, but the blatant conflict of interest involved, and the hubris of of thinking that the voters would accept it.

No he shouldn't be condemned, he should be prosecuted, and that is one of the charges waiting his arrival.

16 hours ago, JAG said:

Samak was removed by the Shinawatras then?

Funny, I could have sworn he was knocked off his perch by a court case - something about a cooking show?

He was removed  by the court but he was allowed to run again for PM and indeed put his name forward but he was betrayed by Thaksin who replaced him with his more malleable brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat.

15 hours ago, NCFC said:

Why do you call him a nice guy? He was responsible as PM for the deaths of nearly 100 people. Some might call him a cold-blooded murderer

And how many deaths was Thaksin responsible for during his "drug war" when he was PM?

About 2,500 if IIRC.

Yet many people including posters here think that Thaksin is a nice guy.

Abhisit was charged with murder abd was quite willing to go to court and fight it.

The charges were dropped.

Thaksin was never charged.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

36 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And how many deaths was Thaksin responsible for during his "drug war" when he was PM?

About 2,500 if IIRC.

Yet many people including posters here think that Thaksin is a nice guy.

Abhisit was charged with murder abd was quite willing to go to court and fight it.

The charges were dropped.

Thaksin was never charged.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2007/08/2275-where-did-this-number-come-from/

On 7/12/2017 at 4:28 AM, webfact said:

10 Shinawatra siblings

The military's 1,500 generals and their Party of One Junta will always have them outnumbered.

Prayut: "Everything is on the roadmap,” ...“When the time comes, how can I stop it?” ..." he could not give any assurance that a coup would not take place again"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30320463

Do you understand I wasn't criticising the method of his corruption, but the blatant conflict of interest involved, and the hubris of of thinking that the voters would accept it.
No he shouldn't be condemned, he should be prosecuted, and that is one of the charges waiting his arrival.

You appeared not to understand.Anyway as mentioned earlier the problem was that Thaksin did not distance himself from his business interests, quite the reverse.

Hypothetically if on taking office he instituted a blind trust arrangement, the Thaksin tech industries would certainly have exported to neighboring countries - and that would have been fine.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:28 AM, halloween said:

Voters never got a chance to give their views though did they?