Entry denied Bangkok Airport

I have absolutely no problem with anyone working on line anywhere
just don't expect other people to foot the bill for your overheads, do
you actually have any idea, even roughly, how much it cost on a daily
basis to open the doors of even a small cafe;/restaurant?
I can only assume the little money that some of them may make would
not actually be sufficient to support a real business, but I can't be sure?

Surely they could just skip buying a coffee/drink and go to a internet shop it would work out cheaper

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Surely they could just skip buying a coffee/drink and go to a internet shop it would work out cheaper

It is cheaper to buy a coffee, and much more comfortable, to sit for hours in a cafe'/restaurant

than pay for 5 hours in an internet shop.

He is referring to the nomad pests not himself ! 

He runs a coffee shop or something which is struggling so he is taking it out on customers (logical?), really he needs to generate more money elsewhere or stop his mrs spending it. By restricting wifi access at least his bp might reduce

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

He runs a coffee shop or something which is struggling so he is taking it out on customers (logical?), really he needs to generate more money elsewhere or stop his mrs spending it. By restricting wifi access at least his bp might reduce

IF that is true he certainly needs to rid himself of nomad pests---no money to be made from them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

LOL I can't believe where you have ended up with this are you in a bar right now???:cheesy:

I am truly amazed how you have conjoured up what you seem to have from previous posts

truly amazing.

LOL I can't believe where you have ended up with this are you in a bar right now???:cheesy:
I am truly amazed how you have conjoured up what you seem to have from previous posts
truly amazing.

I have a good imagination, but why do you dislike them so much? Hatred must come from somewhere
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just for the record I do not run a coffee shop but my wife has a small restaurant/coffee shop, doing alright as it happens

at the moment, and she had a spell last year when it seemed to be the digital parasites stop off every day. She went out

of her way ask them politely to either spend or vacate and she has the reviews to prove their vindictiveness. Since then 

through a little bit of help from me and prominent notice in the right place this appears to have done the trick, so far.

We will see how it goes in the upcoming high season?? Hence my feeling on digital parasites.

At one stage last year I came back from shopping to find no less than 6 computers complete with at least one phone for

each computer and of course all her 4 seat tables taken by one or 2 people, leaving little room for real customers.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

2 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Just for the record I do not run a coffee shop but my wife has a small restaurant/coffee shop, doing alright as it happens

at the moment, and she had a spell last year when it seemed to be the digital parasites stop off every day. She went out

of her way ask them politely to either spend or vacate and she has the reviews to prove their vindictiveness. Since then 

through a little bit of help from me and prominent notice in the right place this appears to have done the trick, so far.

We will see how it goes in the upcoming high season?? Hence my feeling on digital parasites.

A generous helping of senna  stirred into their coffee will deter them 

7 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

At one stage last year I came back from shopping to find no less than 6 computers complete with at least one phone for

each computer and of course all her 4 seat tables taken by one or 2 people, leaving little room for real customers.

I'd just boot them out, never mind the reviews.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

I'd just boot them out, never mind the reviews.

That is more or less what happened in the end and she just had to suck up the reviews,

but these people tell all sorts of lies in their reviews and she has little recourse other than

myself replying to their nastiness. Thankfully she works hard and the good reviews far

outweigh the lousy parasites ones. 

Just now, phuketjock said:

That is more or less what happened in the end and she just had to suck up the reviews,

but these people tell all sorts of lies in their reviews and she has little recourse other than

myself replying to their nastiness. Thankfully she works hard and the good reviews far

outweigh the lousy parasites ones. 

A friend of mine used to take timed/dated pictures of them -- He posted the truth before the "reviews' hit the page ! 

• Like 1

Just  made a surprising revelation. Checked my passport and the last Tourist visa received at one of the embassies abroad and noted something special there. It is printed in small letters (right above the Visa itself) and only in English:

" Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future. "

My passport contains 5 more Tourist visas (made one after another in time). Now I think who did print it there? The most obvious version is the Embassy workers themselves. The second version - the officer at the Phuket immigration where I made an extension several days ago. It was not done by the IO at the border crossing (sure about it 99.9%).

Also , I wonder why is it written in English and not Thai language?  

The next trip I am planning to take all my belongings with me since chances are high that I will not be able to come back any time soon.

17 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Just  made a surprising revelation. Checked my passport and the last Tourist visa received at one of the embassies abroad and noted something special there. It is printed in small letters (right above the Visa itself) and only in English:

" Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future. "

My passport contains 5 more Tourist visas (made one after another in time). Now I think who did print it there? The most obvious version is the Embassy workers themselves. The second version - the officer at the Phuket immigration where I made an extension several days ago. It was not done by the IO at the border crossing (sure about it 99.9%).

Also , I wonder why is it written in English and not Thai language?  

The next trip I am planning to take all my belongings with me since chances are high that I will not be able to come back any time soon.

It is in English because it is a warning to you, and they presume you don't read Thai.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

" Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future. " ...

You will not get another visa from Vientiane, and may have trouble elsewhere.  The only solution is a new passport.  The new passport won't change anything with regard to immigration (why will link the passports and see all your entries), but it will allow consulates to issue more tourist visas.  If you ask consulate personnel, many will tell you to get a new passport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You will not get another visa from Vientiane, and may have trouble elsewhere.  The only solution is a new passport.  The new passport won't change anything with regard to immigration (why will link the passports and see all your entries), but it will allow consulates to issue more tourist visas.  If you ask consulate personnel, many will tell you to get a new passport.

To say you the truth - that was my plan of action since there are no free pages left in my passport.  Hope it helps. Thank you for an advice.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:38 PM, phuketjock said:

at the moment, and she had a spell last year when it seemed to be the digital parasites stop off every day.

Is this in Pattaya ? Care to give us the location ? I love a good cup of coffee!  

Don't worry , I promise to leave within one hour., 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blorg said:

I suspect from his name it is in Phuket. I don't get the antipathy towards digital nomads, many cafes welcome them and are specifically set up to attract them. Or indeed, Thai university students- in any town with a large university there are a load of "study cafes" specifically oriented at students who want to come and use the WiFi and study for hours.

If you feel your business doesn't benefit from Thai students, or digital nomads, it is pretty trivial to discourage them, don't have any electric outlets (cover them if they are there) and limit the wifi use (give an hour with a purchase) and that is probably going to dissuade most of them. If necessary you could start having minimum spends, but simply not providing these services and I doubt they will come in the first place.

Frankly MOST cafes in Thailand have very low customer traffic and welcome what they can get, and don't mind someone sitting there for hours whether a Thai student or a digital nomad, as long as they spend some reasonable minimum.

There are a few places that are popular and have high traffic, but they are very much the exception. In fact in years here I can only think of a handful of cafes which were constantly busy with customers coming and going all day. Most cafes sit virtually empty all day, and a customer is a customer. The ones that were genuinely that busy I couldn't possibly see someone trying to work in anyway, people looking to work are going to look for quieter places... and if you are empty most of the time anyway, who are you trying to free the seat up for exactly?

Very true. Not to mention two or three customers in a place is often more of a draw for people walking past than a place completely devoid of people. True of cafes and bars both. 

• Like 2

I suspect from his name it is in Phuket. I don't get the antipathy towards digital nomads, many cafes welcome them and are specifically set up to attract them. Or indeed, Thai university students- in any town with a large university there are a load of "study cafes" specifically oriented at students who want to come and use the WiFi and study for hours.

If you feel your business doesn't benefit from Thai students, or digital nomads, it is pretty trivial to discourage them, don't have any electric outlets (cover them if they are there) and limit the wifi use (give an hour with a purchase) and that is probably going to dissuade most of them. If necessary you could start having minimum spends, but simply not providing these services and I doubt they will come in the first place.

Frankly MOST cafes in Thailand have very low customer traffic and welcome what they can get, and don't mind someone sitting there for hours whether a Thai student or a digital nomad, as long as they spend some reasonable minimum.

There are a few places that are popular and have high traffic, but they are very much the exception. In fact in years here I can only think of a handful of cafes which were constantly busy with customers coming and going all day. Most cafes sit virtually empty all day, and a customer is a customer. The ones that were genuinely that busy I couldn't possibly see someone trying to work in anyway, people looking to work are going to look for quieter places... and if you are empty most of the time anyway, who are you trying to free the seat up for exactly?

Good post. Even Starbucks' idea of discouraging students was quickly withdrawn!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Very true. Not to mention two or three customers in a place is often more of a draw for people walking past than a place completely devoid of people. True of cafes and bars both. 

Very true...I can easily sit in the comfort of my home and work on my computer all day...but I go to coffee shops to be around other people and avoid isolation (even if most Thais are afraid of speaking to me or sitting near me....)

• Like 2

On 17/07/2017 at 8:39 PM, Kohphanganlover said:

I asked to make an appointment with an IO to hand over my appeal. The Airline staff told me that I'm not allowed to make an appeal, i got BLACKLISTED and I have to leave the country asap and she hangs up the phone.

With a bit of luck the use of the word "blacklisted" is incorrect terminology.  Many people seem not to understand that denial of entry, deportation and blacklisting are all very different (and it is blacklisting that you most want to avoid!)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mstevens said:

With a bit of luck the use of the word "blacklisted" is incorrect terminology.  Many people seem not to understand that denial of entry, deportation and blacklisting are all very different (and it is blacklisting that you most want to avoid!)

I would venture that's why you can't 'appeal' against denied entry when you're in lock up at the airport as the 'appeal' only applies to black listing or deportation after a court case.

Long thread so, sorry if someone posted the same before.