Navy eyes closing Bali Hai during fleet show

webfact

Navy eyes closing Bali Hai during fleet show

By Urasin Khantaraphan

1250_n3-Joint.jpg

Capt. Prapat Chutkhao, director of operations and information at the Sattahip Naval Base, and Capt. Sinsamut Panja, operations director for the Battle Squadron, met with police, army, Pattaya City Hall and Marine Department officials to mull security plans for November’s international fleet show.

PATTAYA: -- The navy has proposed closing Bali Hai Pier every morning during November’s international fleet show, which would cripple transportation to Koh Larn and leave scuba diving companies high and dry.

The suggestion to close the South Pattaya jetty from 6 a.m. though noon Nov. 13-22 came at a meeting called by the military to begin mapping out security plans for the fleet show, which will see navies from 40 countries participating.

The suggestion also was made to close roads to the pier after 3 p.m.

No decision was made on the proposal, nor any other topic discussed at the meeting, with attendees agreeing only they needed to hold yet more meetings.

Full story: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/navy-eyes-closing-bali-hai-fleet-show-180605

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-07-14

1 hour ago, webfact said:

No decision was made on the proposal, nor any other topic discussed at the meeting, with attendees agreeing only they needed to hold yet more meetings.

A meeting to decide to have more meetings. :post-4641-1156693976:

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

Small spelling mistake. Hopefully they'll notice and fix.

http://aseanifr2017.com/?lang=en

IFR.jpg

Gotta love their very professional gmail (email) address!

It costs 300 - 500 baht to register a domain & set up a professional email address...I just did it today. Not for the first time either. It takes 10 minutes.

I wonder when was the last time any fixed wing aircraft were launched from that antique carrier?

The ramp on the front plays hell with landing gear/suspension (so I've read).

I shiver to think about landing a modern jet fighter on that thing...& I'm a former Army guy that does not know much about aircraft.

I wonder why they want to use Bali Hai port for this "fleet review" with all the associated chaos it will bring when they have a large fully established Naval port just a few kilometres further down the coast at Sattahip ?

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, jaywalker said:

Gotta love their very professional gmail (email) address!

It costs 300 - 500 baht to register a domain & set up a professional email address...I just did it today. Not for the first time either. It takes 10 minutes.

I wonder when was the last time any fixed wing aircraft were launched from that antique carrier?

The ramp on the front plays hell with landing gear/suspension (so I've read).

I shiver to think about landing a modern jet fighter on that thing...& I'm a former Army guy that does not know much about aircraft.

It was built to take Harriers. None of them work now, apparently.

The brand new British carrier has a ramp take off.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 7/19/2017 at 8:22 PM, JamJar said:

Probably. My company paid about $120,000 USD to rent a booth at a defense show in Kuala Lumpur once. It was a big booth/space with one truck sitting in it, plus lots of room around it.

Figure (just a guess) 1,000 tourists go to Koh Larn and spend 1,500 baht per day = 1.5 million baht/day X 4 days = 6 million baht.

Probably 200 vendors at the fleet show paying maybe $60,000 on average per booth = roughly 400 million baht/$12,000,000 USD.