Adventure Bikes (in the true sense)

AllanB

It is the adventure, not the bike so any utilitarian bike will do. Also, depends on one definition of adventure. Sunday afternoon in the hills in Northern Thailand is trail riding or off-road riding so needs a different bike to spending 3 months on the road in the Stans or Africa. 

The seat on the CRF looks too uncomfortable for riding from BKK to , say, Loie.

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

It is the adventure, not the bike so any utilitarian bike will do. Also, depends on one definition of adventure. Sunday afternoon in the hills in Northern Thailand is trail riding or off-road riding so needs a different bike to spending 3 months on the road in the Stans or Africa. 

The seat on the CRF looks too uncomfortable for riding from BKK to , say, Loie.

Of course the bike should be chosen for what the terrain is, the comments were regarding the two bikes in the video.

I have just bought a Rally, but i have not yet rode it far enough to see how comfortable it would be on a long trip. But it's no big deal to add padding if needed.

A few years ago riding the adventure bike PCX 150 from Chiang Mai to Hau Hin talked to a couple of guys coming back from Burma both on large bikes one a 1200BMW combo off road on road. He said that bike is too big for a lot of the roads especially when trying to manhandle around rocks and holes in the pavement. But on the highway from Tak to Hau Hin wonderful speeds over 150k

Edited by moe666

I think of an adventure as just heading off into the big unknown, that's it.

So to me the bike should be light enough to pick if/when you drop it, handle every type of terrain and be reliable. If it fails any of these tests it is pretty useless.

This gal Steph Jeavons demonstrates this perfectly, like me she is not Herculean in strength, well not at my age and rides unsupported, no offence MrsB. On the reliability stakes, the last I heard she had covered 85,000km without a single issue, don't know anyone else who has done that male or female. Plus she does a lot of those kms off-road and on rough tracks, try that on a big Beama.

A little extra speed is really of no importance, IMO, as these two British Luvvy <deleted> Ewan and Charlie demonstrated. 

With regards to our 'Enry, well he just rides the highways, is that him, Jeeeze time has taken it's toll, maybe that Uncle Albert beard? Or the stress of all those trucks and road trains up his Jaksy, I suspect.

Haven't bought mine yet, but looking at how I can fit some panniers, anyone seen anything, I am in Europe right now and could bring something back? Been looking.

12 minutes ago, AllanB said:

I think of an adventure as just heading off into the big unknown, that's it.

So to me the bike should be light enough to pick if/when you drop it, handle every type of terrain and be reliable. If it fails any of these tests it is pretty useless.

This gal Steph Jeavons demonstrates this perfectly, like me she is not Herculean in strength, well not at my age and rides unsupported, no offence MrsB. On the reliability stakes, the last I heard she had covered 85,000km without a single issue, don't know anyone else who has done that male or female. Plus she does a lot of those kms off-road and on rough tracks, try that on a big Beama.

A little extra speed is really of no importance, IMO, as these two British Luvvy <deleted> Ewan and Charlie demonstrated. 

With regards to our 'Enry, well he just rides the highways, is that him, Jeeeze time has taken it's toll, maybe that Uncle Albert beard? Or the stress of all those trucks and road trains up his Jaksy, I suspect.

Haven't bought mine yet, but looking at how I can fit some panniers, anyone seen anything, I am in Europe right now and could bring something back? Been looking.

For the Rally, i will use the same as i use on the PCX, some soft throw over saddlebags i bought from Chiang Rai Saddlebags 3500 baht if i remember correctly.

I did order a tank bag from America as it's ideal for a map and my camera. $220 but worth it i thought "giant loop fandango pro" then the tax and shipping put the price to $440! 

I am looking at ways of mounting the tank bag i use on the versys at the moment.

Picture 002.jpg

5 hours ago, chrissables said:

For the Rally, i will use the same as i use on the PCX, some soft throw over saddlebags i bought from Chiang Rai Saddlebags 3500 baht if i remember correctly.

I did order a tank bag from America as it's ideal for a map and my camera. $220 but worth it i thought "giant loop fandango pro" then the tax and shipping put the price to $440! 

I am looking at ways of mounting the tank bag i use on the versys at the moment.

Picture 002.jpg

I have seen those bags on Ebay, they are made in Germany, but yours look a bit better.

Been looking on Youtube, found a few bolt-on brackets for the CRF250L including auxiliary tank brackets and pannier racks. They look quite easy to fabricate. and I saw that they sell a "strip bender" in Khon Kaen which will accurately form everything on these, so that's the plan.

This is the type my company used to use:-  

IP-099_Galeriebild.jpg

Edited by AllanB

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

No. What is right for you is right :)

This is only my opinion.

I also agree with this Rusky, that you prepare for the worst part of your journey, for the easy bits you can take anything, even a scooter and we do sometimes.

Load carrying too, when MrsB and I do our trips we carry less than most of these guys who going solo, not easy when your woman wants to take everything. There is so much lightweight gear available nowadays, clothes, electronics. etc,. a few kilos is all I need, I go for backpackers gear. 

It all goes on the bike too, I can't carry anything and I don't let her carry anything either, if we do take a tumble she will hit the ground harder with any extra weight on her person. She wears a hi-viz mini backpack, but it is almost empty.

Been looking at the Rally, looks pretty shitty crappy colour scheme, with stickers stuck on by a 3 year old and don't like the extra 20mm seat height, but it seems capable, has a bit more power, good lights, etc. The problem with the high seat height is that it becomes even higher when you re-pad it, anyway will probably stick with the standard proven CRF.

4 hours ago, AllanB said:

This is only my opinion.

I also agree with this Rusky, that you prepare for the worst part of your journey, for the easy bits you can take anything, even a scooter and we do sometimes.

Load carrying too, when MrsB and I do our trips we carry less than most of these guys who going solo, not easy when your woman wants to take everything. There is so much lightweight gear available nowadays, clothes, electronics. etc,. a few kilos is all I need, I go for backpackers gear. 

It all goes on the bike too, I can't carry anything and I don't let her carry anything either, if we do take a tumble she will hit the ground harder with any extra weight on her person. She wears a hi-viz mini backpack, but it is almost empty.

Been looking at the Rally, looks pretty shitty crappy colour scheme, with stickers stuck on by a 3 year old and don't like the extra 20mm seat height, but it seems capable, has a bit more power, good lights, etc. The problem with the high seat height is that it becomes even higher when you re-pad it, anyway will probably stick with the standard proven CRF.

I don't carry a bag for the same reason, comfort too. 

I travel alone and usually for a long time so i take what i may need. If it's a nice warm day, i don't need to wear my boots and jacket, but i need to put them somewhere, as an example. Another point is needing cold weather gear if riding to north Laos late in the year. If i had a full "bikers" kit of jacket, boots, trousers etc i would wear in the day, i would not need to take so many clothes. But i travel how i like to travel.

I take a camera a laptop and a kettle, all of which get used every day.

The Rally is high, but drops down when you sit on it.

The foot pegs for the passenger seem quite high and maybe not comfortable at all, check that would be my advice. When i am sat in a comfortable position i am sat towards the back of the seat, passenger room would be small.

Rally has;

bigger fuel tank (not by much)

taller seat height by an inch or so

longer suspension ditto above

more weight (a fair bit - how can plastic weigh that much?)

Costs a fair bit more.

Power and gearing is identical to the CRFL.

I have read that, once luggage, a pillion, or serious off road useage is contemplated, both bikes need suspension upgrades. No big deal - 20k TB sorts that.

Apparently, the new '17 model has much better low-mid range grunt than the previous '12-16 stock model.

Comes down to horses for courses. Each to their own blah blah.

The Rally is not my cup of tea, but IMHO, it is possibly the most sensible touring bike for SE Asia, especially if you are doing 80/20 on road/off road, and you avoid the 2-3 lane motorways, and are happy to cruise/tour at 80,90,100 kmph, which these days, even i can.

11 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Rally has;

bigger fuel tank (not by much)

taller seat height by an inch or so

longer suspension ditto above

more weight (a fair bit - how can plastic weigh that much?)

Costs a fair bit more.

Power and gearing is identical to the CRFL.

I have read that, once luggage, a pillion, or serious off road useage is contemplated, both bikes need suspension upgrades. No big deal - 20k TB sorts that.

Apparently, the new '17 model has much better low-mid range grunt than the previous '12-16 stock model.

Comes down to horses for courses. Each to their own blah blah.

The Rally is not my cup of tea, but IMHO, it is possibly the most sensible touring bike for SE Asia, especially if you are doing 80/20 on road/off road, and you avoid the 2-3 lane motorways, and are happy to cruise/tour at 80,90,100 kmph, which these days, even i can.

I'm looking forward to trying out mine, just bought 159k, way down from book price, brand new though here in Pattaya.

I like exploring when i travel, not serious off road stuff, but the PCX lacks in that ability, although i have ridden some really small and rough tracks on it. Hopefully the Rally will be ideal for me.

8 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I'm looking forward to trying out mine, just bought 159k, way down from book price, brand new though here in Pattaya.

I like exploring when i travel, not serious off road stuff, but the PCX lacks in that ability, although i have ridden some really small and rough tracks on it. Hopefully the Rally will be ideal for me.

I think it will be perfect for you Chris.

For people who are not interested in getting from A to B as fast as possible via the easiest, fastest routes, ie motorways, sitting at 140-160 kmph, and taking the scenic slow routes instead, i think it's ideal for here.

159k is ridiculously cheap, how did you wrangle that deal?

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I think it will be perfect for you Chris.

For people who are not interested in getting from A to B as fast as possible via the easiest, fastest routes, ie motorways, sitting at 140-160 kmph, and taking the scenic slow routes instead, i think it's ideal for here.

159k is ridiculously cheap, how did you wrangle that deal?

HI,  it was quite strange, i kept asking questions about the bike to make sure it was the new model and the new model should have a rear rack, the bike i was looking at did not.

The lady said as the accessories are missing they will sell it for 159k! Only the rack was missing, so i bought the bike and went down the road and got one fitted along with a givi topbox mount. The rack was 1000 baht, so a huge saving, can't work out why, don't really care :) 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

How will know that if you've never been there. :biggrin:

If have done your homework, you must have some idea of what to expect, a 100% roadtrip, or.

If you are planning a trip into the complete unknown you should expect unmade roads, mud, river crossings, etc. If you take a road bike with mainly road tyres and overload it, it may make the difficulty parts impossible. If you take a dirt bike and travel light, it will make the easy parts less comfortable, but enable to get through the difficult parts.

I guess it depends on whether you are prepared to turn back or do a detour, or compromise in some other way. Or you may just design the trip to suit the bike you have.

1 hour ago, AllanB said:

I guess it depends on whether you are prepared to turn back or do a detour, or compromise in some other way. Or you may just design the trip to suit the bike you have.

That's me,  cool post man my Versys 650 can't go everywhere.  :biggrin:

Not sure if these are significant issues, but the Rally has no abs in Thailand,  and the Versys 300 has abs, but not switchable for off road use.

A KTM 390 Adventure may be a good option when it's released at end of the year, but think it will cost more.

4 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

Not sure if these are significant issues, but the Rally has no abs in Thailand,  and the Versys 300 has abs, but not switchable for off road use.

A KTM 390 Adventure may be a good option when it's released at end of the year, but think it will cost more.

The KTM looks like quite a small (cramped) bike, so not for me, plus the CRF has a proven track record, second to none from what I have seen and read. KTM do know a little about off-road bikes though.......

All subjective.

Having owned smaller bikes, I much prefer the ride on my Africa Twin.  I've taken it on tricky places where smaller bike would normally go.  It depends on the a rider's confidence, skill level and knowing when you've reached your limit.

For me, the adventure is the challenge of taking a bigger bike to places that perhaps many wouldn't.  And after the task of getting my bike through the rough stuff, it's great to have a pleasant trip back on the tarmac.  The trips that I do, mostly alone, tend to be in the 1000km over a two day period - although I haven't ridden for a while, there is no way I could do it on a 250cc.  My ass is bad enough on this bike after a trip like that!

Additionally, it is about finding the right bike for you.  I recently test rode a KTM1290 R, and as good as it is, I felt like it wouldn't take me places like the AT would (try telling Chris Birch that!). Likewise, with the GS 1200 due to its sheer bulk.  While heavy, the AT is balanced right and is extremely nimble for ME.  Of course if you drop it, it would be a task to lift it up hill on dirt.   But at the end of the day, there are techniques for lifting heavy bikes, and one shouldn't buy an expensive bike if you're going to cry about getting it scratched.  (Nothing worse than riding with wannabee adventure riders who fear the odd scratch or tumble).   It's all part of the adventure that suits the individual.

Don't get me wrong, there are times I wished I was on a smaller bike.  Recently I was stuck in mud for over an hour in sweltering heat trying to push my bike out with open throttle.  Couldn't figure out why it was so tricky.  After 30 mins I realized I had front wheel lock up.  Removed the fender and all was good.

9 minutes ago, BBJ said:

All subjective.

Having owned smaller bikes, I much prefer the ride on my Africa Twin.  I've taken it on tricky places where smaller bike would normally go.  It depends on the a rider's confidence, skill level and knowing when you've reached your limit.

For me, the adventure is the challenge of taking a bigger bike to places that perhaps many wouldn't.  And after the task of getting my bike through the rough stuff, it's great to have a pleasant trip back on the tarmac.  The trips that I do, mostly alone, tend to be in the 1000km over a two day period - although I haven't ridden for a while, there is no way I could do it on a 250cc.  My ass is bad enough on this bike after a trip like that!

Additionally, it is about finding the right bike for you.  I recently test rode a KTM1290 R, and as good as it is, I felt like it wouldn't take me places like the AT would (try telling Chris Birch that!). Likewise, with the GS 1200 due to its sheer bulk.  While heavy, the AT is balanced right and is extremely nimble for ME.  Of course if you drop it, it would be a task to lift it up hill on dirt.   But at the end of the day, there are techniques for lifting heavy bikes, and one shouldn't buy an expensive bike if you're going to cry about getting it scratched.  (Nothing worse than riding with wannabee adventure riders who fear the odd scratch or tumble).   It's all part of the adventure that suits the individual.

Don't get me wrong, there are times I wished I was on a smaller bike.  Recently I was stuck in mud for over an hour in sweltering heat trying to push my bike out with open throttle.  Couldn't figure out why it was so tricky.  After 30 mins I realized I had front wheel lock up.  Removed the fender and all was good.

A bit of fun on my PCX at the Burmese border near Umpang, i would not have tried it on the Versys, but the PCX you can pull out somehow even when alone.

Picture 170.jpg

Picture 163.jpg

27 minutes ago, BBJ said:

For me, the adventure is the challenge of taking a bigger bike to places that perhaps many wouldn't. 

Took my Canadian HD to Alaska many times. 200km gravel and dirt roads. On street tires. Average speed 100 k. Sure the rear tire weaved all the time. But keep you control inputs smooth and never a problem. Blasted by many motorhomes, and guys on baggers, big BMW's, and those bikes with the galvanized garbage cans attached to each side. See Ya !

A KTM 390 adventure sounds promising but I dare say...the customs tax and duty will probably kill off any good price.  Pity about that as KTM do make some good bikes.

First thing to do would be to add extra cushioning to the seat.  Those 'plank' type seats are ok offroad where you do a lot of on the pegs riding, but on any length of tarmac and your rear is sure to go to sleep.

I might go check out KTM today and see when, where and what price they are expected to be....

9 hours ago, Rhys said:

Still like the CB 500 X.... only to hit gravel roads and occasional dirt hills..but for in the dirt the 250.

Yeah off road it's down to bike weight that's why me and Versys would turn around coming across surfaces that had turned into muddy farm tractor trails. 

On a future trip of Thailand  " Long way down south & back again "   :biggrin:   l'll have a fellow biker with me,  can't lift my bike alone. :whistling: 

Been building leg and arm strength on my multi-gym for the trip. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Took my Canadian HD to Alaska many times. 200km gravel and dirt roads. On street tires. Average speed 100 k. Sure the rear tire weaved all the time. But keep you control inputs smooth and never a problem. Blasted by many motorhomes, and guys on baggers, big BMW's, and those bikes with the galvanized garbage cans attached to each side. See Ya !

Riding a Harley on a dirt/gravel road at 100clicks, rear tyre weaving..that sounds like an adventure to me. I assume you grew up on such roads, a bit like a lift I once got from a 70+ year old Norwegian guy in an old Skoda, took a bend flat out in deep snow, using a "Scandinavian Flick". 

"big BMW's, and those bikes with the galvanized garbage cans attached to each side". Yes...