Iran blames Trump for instability, rejects "rogue" label

rooster59

Iran blames Trump for instability, rejects "rogue" label

640x640 (7).jpg

FILE PHOTO: A young boy stands behind an Iranian flag at Tehran's Mehrabad International Airport, Iran, May, 5, 2010. REUTERS/Morteza Nikoubazl/File Photo

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran on Saturday blamed what it called Donald Trump's "arbitrary and conflicting policies" for global security threats, rejecting the U.S. president's description of Tehran as a rogue state.

Tensions between Iran and the United States have heightened since the election of Trump, who has often singled out Tehran as a key backer of militant groups.

"(Trump) ought to seek the reason for subversion and rebellion in his own arbitrary and conflicting policies and actions, as well as those of his arrogant, aggressive and occupying allies in the region," said foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi, quoted by Iran's state news agency IRNA.

President Trump said on Thursday that new threats were emerging from "rogue regimes like North Korea, Iran and Syria and the governments that finance and support them".

Senior Iranian officials have blamed U.S-allied Saudi Arabia, Iran's Sunni Muslim regional rival, for instability and attacks in the Middle East, including last month's assaults that killed 18 people in Tehran.

Saudi Arabia has denied involvement in the attacks which were claimed by Islamic state.

While Trump has kept up his criticism of Tehran, a senior U.S. official said on Thursday that the president was "very likely" to state that Iran is adhering to its nuclear agreement with world powers although he continues to have reservations about it.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-16

Iran has come a long way in recent years, and while it still has a way to go, putting it in the same bracket as North Korea and Syria, does suggest that once again, Donald is talking about something he quite clearly knows next to nothing about.

ha ha , i think in the eyes of the world the USA is becoming a rogue state.. no disrespect to dustmen but i expect the next president might well be one lol !! (probably more intelligent as well) as to world politics/ethics

."....the president was "very likely" to state that Iran is adhering to its nuclear agreement with world powers although he continues to have reservations about it...."

Non comprende

No iranian has, i believe, ever carried out a terrorist attack in the USA. Or possibly anywhere (yes, they have helped various groups fighting for independence, but one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter). 

Now,  how many other countries have never had one of their Sunni citizens commit a terrorist act? 

24 minutes ago, rickudon said:

No iranian has, i believe, ever carried out a terrorist attack in the USA. Or possibly anywhere (yes, they have helped various groups fighting for independence, but one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter). 

Now,  how many other countries have never had one of their Sunni citizens commit a terrorist act? 

Certainly Iran hasn't sponsored any terrorist attacks in Europe or in the Americas in the 21st century. As far as attacks on those areas go, so far in this century it's been an entirely Sunni phenomenon.  Which is why Trump with the support of Mattis and McMaster, those 2 supposedly sober characters, have designated Iran the #1 terrorist threat.

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Certainly Iran hasn't sponsored any terrorist attacks in Europe or in the Americas in the 21st century. As far as attacks on those areas go, so far in this century it's been an entirely Sunni phenomenon.  Which is why Trump with the support of Mattis and McMaster, those 2 supposedly sober characters, have designated Iran the #1 terrorist threat.

Attacks in the ME do not count, apparently.

12 hours ago, Morch said:

Attacks in the ME do not count, apparently.

And where did I write that attacks in the mideast don't count. That would just as stupid as saying that the lack of attacks in Europe and the Americas is insignificant.

But the difference is significant. In the mideast with its plethora of warring parties, it can be a subject of long and fruitless wrangles about what constitutes a terrorist attack and who is responsible for most of them. But in the West it's a very clear cut issue. In the 21st century virtually all terrorist attacks in Europe and America launched by Sunnis.  The Sunni powers in the mideast claim they are not sponsoring their attacks - if funding is coming its from private individuals. Yet there are no Shiite attacks in the west at all - so no excuses or explanations about private individuals are necessary. And yet somehow in the eyes of the current administration Iran is the #1 terrorist threat in the mideast.  Such a big threat that its citizens have to be subject to special scrutiny to gain admittance to the USA. Such a big threat that it takes a Presidential intervention to let in 6 Iranian schoolgirls to compete in a robotics competition.

56 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

And where did I write that attacks in the mideast don't count. That would just as stupid as saying that the lack of attacks in Europe and the Americas is insignificant.

But the difference is significant. In the mideast with its plethora of warring parties, it can be a subject of long and fruitless wrangles about what constitutes a terrorist attack and who is responsible for most of them. But in the West it's a very clear cut issue. In the 21st century virtually all terrorist attacks in Europe and America launched by Sunnis.  The Sunni powers in the mideast claim they are not sponsoring their attacks - if funding is coming its from private individuals. Yet there are no Shiite attacks in the west at all - so no excuses or explanations about private individuals are necessary. And yet somehow in the eyes of the current administration Iran is the #1 terrorist threat in the mideast.  Such a big threat that its citizens have to be subject to special scrutiny to gain admittance to the USA. Such a big threat that it takes a Presidential intervention to let in 6 Iranian schoolgirls to compete in a robotics competition.

Didn't make any point about lack of Iranian connected attacks. The US position, though, is to some degree dictated by past experiences with such attacks, which did occur in the ME.

Further, I think that one of the differences between the Sunni oriented terrorism more prevalent in the West, and Iranian supported instances, lies with state support. Saudi Arabia (for example) does propagate it's extreme interpretation of Islam through various means - but mostly, these fall short of direct involvement and support of terrorist actions. Iran takes a different approach with regard to these matters. Hence, Saudi Arabia may or may not be the bigger menace, but it would be harder to designate it as as supporting terrorism.

I am not suggesting that US designations are unrelated to other geopolitical considerations and interests. Just pointing out that in terms of state support, and if widening the scope to include ME and places other than the US and Europe, the picture is more complex than presented.