Forty victims of 24 million baht online scam complain to tech police

webfact

Forty victims of 24 million baht online scam complain to tech police

5pm.jpg

Picture Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- Some forty victims of an online scam to present products for sale went to tech police to make a complaint yesterday.

The victims - led by a 23 year old university student and a lawyer - said they were involved in acting as presenters selling toothpaste, mineral water and shoes online.

Praewphailin Kaswatana, a political science student at the university of the north east, said all seemed above board when she applied to the company in February.

She paid a 10,000 baht deposit and received monthly training in selling techniques. She even got a salary of 10,000 at first.

People involved had to post details of products twice a day, four hours apart but always before midnight.

However, after three months the company - that was not named - said that a cash flow problem meant she would have to wait for money.

Finally on July 12th the company issued checks to settle accounts.

But these have all bounced and the company's account has been shut down.

There are thought to be 800 victims of the con that is now being investigated. Losses are thought to be in the region of 24 million baht.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-19

8 hours ago, webfact said:

She paid a 10,000 baht deposit and received monthly training in selling techniques. She even got a salary of 10,000 at first.

So she got training and was paid an equivalent sum to her initial deposit?

How was she scammed?

At first I thought this report was about fallout from the prior Facebook / free trip to Japan scam that victimized hundreds of people.

But now I see, this is an entirely different online scam... Facebook-based, I'm assuming. Just repeating the same kind of thing over again -- false promises, pay money, get scammed.

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

So she got training and was paid an equivalent sum to her initial deposit?

How was she scammed?

Because she expected to be paid, for the time and effort (and I think they all did) hence the fake cheques that all bounced..... 

If it seems to good to be true..... Ask for payment in. Advance lol

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At first I thought this report was about fallout from the prior Facebook / free trip to Japan scam that victimized hundreds of people.

But now I see, this is an entirely different online scam... Facebook-based, I'm assuming. Just repeating the same kind of thing over again -- false promises, pay money, get scammed.

Stupidity IS rewarded

56 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Because she expected to be paid, for the time and effort (and I think they all did) hence the fake cheques that all bounced..... 

If it seems to good to be true..... Ask for payment in. Advance lol

I can understand she is upset the company has failed and she is no longer being paid, but I'm still not seeing scam. 

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I can understand she is upset the company has failed and she is no longer being paid, but I'm still not seeing scam. 

If  you get a fake cheque for doing real work I think that counts as fraud 

They were obviously gullible and stupid to believe they will make loads of money for a few minutes work by the sounds of it but that doesn't excuse the company for taking advantage of them

That's the part i would call a "scam" 

24million thb sounds like they were being well paid, in theory anyway

2 hours ago, speedtripler said:

They were obviously gullible and stupid to believe they will make loads of money for a few minutes work by the sounds of it but that doesn't excuse the company for taking advantage of them

I thought the initial cheques cleared. 

2 hours ago, speedtripler said:

I thought the initial cheques cleared. 

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

The very first one was real 

After that wages were delayed for months

And then they were finally paid off with dodgy cheques... 

Yeah, annoying as that is, it does seem like a badly run and, in the end, bankrupted company rather than a scam. 

To me, that is.