Embracing Online Education

Hi all, 

So I've been living in Thailand for about 15 years, love the country, and I want to do something about the level of English here. Yes, I know I'll need more than a cape and a magic wand to create a large system change here. I'll need a lot of help to say the least. I've worked in education and online marketing for most of my time here, and I'd like to get some constructive feedback from all of you about education in Thailand.

The way I see it, with Internet speeds and the need to learn English going up, much of the learning English industry should shift to online. Other countries are embracing this, yet it has not caught on at all in Thailand. People still prefer to sit in traffic, wasting petrol and time, to get what usually amounts to mediocre English classes.

2 questions: 

1.) What do you think is holding Thais back from embracing this new form of learning? 

2.) What do you think is stopping teachers from getting together to form a cohesive plan around this new form of learning? Work Permit Warriors (WPW's) need not to inform me about the laws here.

Many thanks in advance for any constructive comments.

Q1: Resistance to Change...

Q2: Resistance to Change...

They had a trial with a populist campaign... computer tablet for effective learning... only issues, the tablets were of poor quality, key teachers did not like them and the kids played games...

Of course, you would have to consider the appointment of Education guru is a political appointment, and many do not have a clue on teaching or learning approaches for ELL with CALL.

As someone who has also lived in Thailand for 15 years, and who is also a teacher and ICT 'guru', I can say that your post makes a fundamental and incorrect assumption.

IMHO, most Thais do not want to learn English.  Most Thais actually have no need to learn English.  Most Thai leaders/government do not want the 'masses' to learn English.

That's why I now teach in Myanmar :)

Q1.) What do you think is holding Thais back from embracing this new form of learning? 

A1 -  I think a lack of opportunity is holding them back. The online technology is already here in most government schools and easily accessible, however for most Thai people there is nearly zero opportunity to make any use of English anywhere outside of a "multiple choice" test in school . There is no perceived opportunity to travel to English speaking counties for most Thais, due to visa/cost and this is a big disincentive.  "Why should I learn English as I'm never going to travel anywhere where I'll use it and nobody speaks it here at home?" -- apathy -- lack of opportunity to use English -- and other disincentives. Of course there are exceptions, but they aren't part of the majority who are being held back.

Q2. ) What do you think is stopping teachers from getting together to form a cohesive plan around this new form of learning? 

A2 - Again, it's a lack of opportunity. Foreign teachers are not wanted in Thailand, although their necessity is acknowledged by the system. It is therefore very unlikely they would ever stand a chance of  them getting together and forming a successful cohesive plan.  On the other hand, the rank and file Thai teachers are faced with a lack of opportunity caused by all the disincentives a top-down political organization can offer them. The current situation places a very high priority on Prayut's "Thainess" and many government schools have a high level of underutilized IT infrastructure.

A cohesive plan. Like Singapore's? They did it. See: Forbes article on Lee Kuan Yew's bilingual policy for Singapore. For the foreseeable future Thai educators seem focused on Thainess. That's what the top-down given priority is. That's not to say Thainess and ELL/CALL are mutually exclusive.

I think a step in the right direction if the government wanted to start English proficiency in this country is mandate everything needs to be written in English. For a period of time, say 3 to 5 years there would be dual language in use, for example bus destinations and schedules. Most Thais already know the English Alphabet and can make out fundamental words and phrases, by forcing them to see them everyday it would help get the ball started. There is no reason why a bus has only Thai script on it's side for destinations when English proficiency is desired.

Even is Thais never gain conversation or listening fluency, just the ability to enhance their language by reading signs and menus for example would be a quantum leap forward. 

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far, especially Simon and 96.

I appreciate the idea that most Thais don't want to learn English. That has a lot of truth to it, but I also think that it can be changed. It's one of those things that needs to be presented to them in the right way for them to get their "wake up" moment.

If you look at the amount of money being spent for after school tutoring in English, you'll see that there is an understanding of how important is. If you ask new parents if they want their kids to learn how to speak English, I think that vast majority will at least say yes. Now, what they say they want and what they actually do are two completely different things in most cases. If they fully understand the correlation between English levels and success, you could see a large system change without the need for the government to step in.

This brings me to 96's valid point about what Singapore did. It worked there because the government stepped in and did something about it. I don't see that happening anytime soon in Thailand, though it would be great! The Internet is a driving force behind most of the social changes going on in the world now (some good, some bad). Who's to say we can't do this in Thailand?

I think it would have to start with a strong core of middle and upper class Thais as examples. If the model works for them, we can look at cheaper yet sustainable ways to reach those less fortunate (possibly pre-recorded classes given to the masses for ad revenue or Filipinos holding online classes for a much lower hourly rate).

The most important thing getting a shift in how people perceive the importance of learning English. Some don't think it's important at all, some think it's important but couldn't lift a finger to do anything about, others are shelling out their vacation baht to make sure their kids grow up with a strong grasp of the English language. If we can shift everyone up a half level through marketing/education/what have you, I think we could make a big difference here. There are examples of individuals and small groups creating small change, but I honestly think that we have the ability to create a medium if not large system change here in Thailand.

The taxi drivers learn it because it makes them money, same with an older profession....most others aren't motivated.  Lack of drive and ambition is problematic...here, Europe, and the US.  Employers don't seem to mind low wage workers being lazy.  I would rather see the good ones get paid more, and the others sent home.  

It depends how you define online learning. IMO the VIPKids 'tutoring' is largely a flash in the pan. 

Learning by video? Khan Academy and YouTube been going on for years. For good reasons tutors seem to be preferred.

Are you discussing using technology in the classroom in whole or in part to create classroom content and curriculum?

I'm quite unclear what sort of educational product you are describing.

Archived