Retirement Extension: an interesting experience

51 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Would have thought it was obvious you should still have the departure part of the TM.6, why wouldn't you?

Then it would certainly be handy if they listed that on the required document list.  

There are lots of important documents that I keep but don't carry with me when I go to immigration.  Unless they're on the list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Then it would certainly be handy if they listed that on the required document list.  

There are lots of important documents that I keep but don't carry with me when I go to immigration.  Unless they're on the list.

Then I apologise, as maybe I misunderstood the meaning, the way it was written I thought it meant that the OP friend was lucky that he had it at all, as opposed to not having it with him when going to immigration.

Must admit though, most of my dealings with immigration have required copies of the TM.6, last entry stamp and last extension stamp (actually they wanted every one of the extension stamps the last time), so would do copies and take it as a matter of course.

Did my extension and 90 day report same time a couple of days ago at Jomtien office. In and out, all done in less than 30 minutes. If you have all your paperwork in order, it's a breeze.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

My TM6 is always stapled to the inside of my passport. Do you keep it somewhere separate?

Sometimes, immigration staple it to a page. When they do, I leave it alone. When immigration leaves the TM 6 loose inside the passport (which I prefer as there is no damage) I place the TM 6 aside in a safe place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

My TM6 is always stapled to the inside of my passport. Do you keep it somewhere separate?

I keep my TM6, a few hundred $$$, passport photos, a couple of business cards,  and recent airline ticket stubs (where I haven't seen the miles accrued yet) inside my plastic passport protector.

Obviously, the $$$ USD, the passport photos, and other junk gets set aside before I hand the passport to anyone.  At which time, the TM6 is probably going to get left behind if I don't know it's needed.  It's been a coin toss whether that's at home or while I'm in line somewhere.  Until now...

7 minutes ago, perthperson said:

The TM6 is required for most (All?) transactions undertaken at an immigration office.

Wouldn't know for sure.  My company has visa fairies that take my passport in to the One Stop.  If I need to show up at all, they just tell me when, show me where to sit, when to go up front, what to sign and which IO to wave at and when.  I don't recall ever giving them my TM6 to take with them, but I can't say for sure in 30 or 40 visits for extensions, WPs, and 90 day reports.  Maybe they fill one out.  Maybe I've accidentally left mine in the passport every time.

Since there's a good chance my WP won't get renewed this year, I have a new found curiosity about such things.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tropo said:

It seems that Immigration has stopped stapling it (TM 6) to passports. They shouldn't be defacing passports with staples, but they staple receipts, reporting forms and most anything they want to your passport. They have no respect for your most valuable document.

In the USA a **** Immigration Officer split a full mug of coffee over my passport -- That was real disrespect. 

43 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Obviously Nanny has taken good care of you.

You are wise to learn about the real world which, in reality, is easy to live in. 

Only an idiot would turn down free nanny services if such services were on offer.   I did fine for the 10+ years I was self employed in Asia before setting foot in Thailand.  But that's no reason to keep doing it the hard way.  Plenty of time to learn if and when it becomes necessary.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

What in the world is this guy going on about?  You don't have to bring bank statements to immigration in fact they don't even want to see them.  It's really simple you just go to your embassy and get a Proof of Income Affidavit and that's all immigration needs to see.  

9 minutes ago, joebrown said:

I always thought a 30 day 'under consideration' period only applied to marriage extensions.

It happened to me once a couple of years back when I applied for a retirement extension. They said it was because the officer authorised to sign off the application was away. They phoned up a couple of weeks later to go and get the stamp, no problem. There was no suggestion that it could be done quicker for extra payment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

In the USA a **** Immigration Officer split a full mug of coffee over my passport -- That was real disrespect. 

Did the officer then refuse you entry on the basis that your passport was damaged? That would really test your sense of humor!!

10 minutes ago, perthperson said:
15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Did the officer then refuse you entry on the basis that your passport was damaged? That would really test your sense of humor!!

No!  But I created and the US paid for an ETD and a new Passport ! 

That is actually pretty decent of them, albeit just. There is no way the Thai authorities would do the same. They would simply put it down to your having bad karma.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

It seems that Immigration has stopped stapling it (TM 6) to passports. They shouldn't be defacing passports with staples, but they staple receipts, reporting forms and most anything they want to your passport. They have no respect for your most valuable document.

I've always felt the attitude of immigration officers is extremely arrogant - you're lucky you can stay - don't you dare complain about anything. If you do they'll shout.

U.S. Embassy told me that if anything gets stapled to the cover or the first page of the passport, then it will be rejected.  I know this because I stapled the TM6 to the cover of the passport. They were kind enough to remove the staple carefully so that no damage showed.  Otherwise I would have had to get a new passport.There is to be no defacing of the passport. I took it as it's OK to staple to the visa pages. Still though, I wouldn't suggest it just in case.. 

2 hours ago, perthperson said:

Unless it was an accident. 

15 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

All these threads on retirement extensions have me in a constant state of nausea lately- what calamity will befall me  when I go for an extension? Why did I move here?  Huge mistake, every aspect of it  is completely unreliable when individual govt officials  can force jumping through whatever hoops of compliance  they wish.  

Must be a bit like those "low, slow" airplane you were complaining about ! 

9 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

So a new letter with only 1 bank account was needed + 3 month statement.

please, please tell me you are joking; added to all the other nigglies of immigration here, we have to assume intelligence