Young boy dies in hospital waiting room "because he had to wait"

rooster59

Young boy dies in hospital waiting room "because he had to wait"

rrrr(11).jpg

Image: Tnews

Thai media reported a case of a young boy who went to hospital with relatives only to be told that he would have to wait.

The family waited and waited until the boy went into shock and passed out.

He was given CPR and came round but after it was discovered he was much more seriously ill than thought he went into shock again and died in the ER.

The hospital was not named in the Tnews story after it was "vaselined" out but the word Petchaburi remained as an indication of where the incident happened.

A post of the story was made on the Facebook page of "Nu-Sajee Kornrawee".

The poster said that the boy had repeatedly been told to wait after arriving at the hospital with stomach pains.

Even though he couldn't even sit he was still told to wait his turn.

He passed out and was given CPR and then an X-Ray revealed a large blood vessel had burst.

Following the X-Ray he went into shock again and this time could not be revived.

The shocking scene was witnessed by relatives and others waiting at the hospital.

A video was even made.

The poster of the clip said that he had died because he had been told to wait and that the relatives believed he could have been saved if the hospital had given him the appropriate treatment right from the start.

Source: Tnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-22

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many years ago there was a Thai lady  selling noodles at the school I worked at in Bangkok. Her teenage daughter lived upcountry to attend school. One day while heading to the market with her two friends on a motorcycle, a car swerved from the other lane and hit the girls. No one was killed, but the noodle daughter suffered a serious leg injury.

She was taken to the hospital and told that proof of payment must be shown before receiving any medical care. By the time arrangements were made, it was too late. This young girl lost her leg. In the weeks following the accident, most everyone at school pitched in and bought a prosthesis for her.

The person who hit her, was a teenage son of a policeman. His family sued the girl's family for damages to their car. Never did hear the outcome.

22 minutes ago, missoura said:

Many years ago there was a Thai lady  selling noodles at the school I worked at in Bangkok. Her teenage daughter lived upcountry to attend school. One day while heading to the market with her two friends on a motorcycle, a car swerved from the other lane and hit the girls. No one was killed, but the noodle daughter suffered a serious leg injury.

She was taken to the hospital and told that proof of payment must be shown before receiving any medical care. By the time arrangements were made, it was too late. This young girl lost her leg. In the weeks following the accident, most everyone at school pitched in and bought a prosthesis for her.

The person who hit her, was a teenage son of a policeman. His family sued the girl's family for damages to their car. Never did hear the outcome.

I was beaten by a man , in the video he clearly attacks me for no reason . 

He prosecuted me because when I raised my arm to protect my face , he hurt his little finger . 

I won in cour court. But lost 20000 in legal fees . His.prosecutors do a lot of damage to people .  

Sadly the lack of real basic training in most government hospitals here is obvious,lots of nurses/staff with little or no real knowledge to deal with cases such as this....tragedy that never should have happened but sadly will again and again :sad:

R.I.P. young man :wai:

Sad for boy and family. Also sad for nurse. Tough job. At least social media publicise problems. No just need politician for fix. Policy for better healthcare will win votes. Junta don't need vote mean instead better hospital Thailand have submarine.

You have to assume they have a triage system.

If someone comes in gushing blood from an artery, they're not going to be made to wait, if at all possible. 

But cases of self reported pain where there is nothing dramatically and superficially visible take a lot more skill to triage.

Obviously this was a failure of their system, and such things can happen in any country.

It's not definite based on the limited details in the report that they could have saved the boy even if he had been seen right away. But it's good that the family is complaining. Maybe such cases can prompt improving the training for triage decisions. 

Edited by Jingthing

20 minutes ago, petermik said:

Sadly the lack of real basic training in most government hospitals here is obvious,lots of nurses/staff with little or no real knowledge to deal with cases such as this....tragedy that never should have happened but sadly will again and again :sad:

Read the world news.

Things like this happen all over the first world countries as well.

I rarely use hospitals here in Thailand but when I have I have had no qualms about the training that the hospital staff received.

15 minutes ago, Pridilives said:

Sad for boy and family. Also sad for nurse. Tough job. At least social media publicise problems. No just need politician for fix. Policy for better healthcare will win votes. Junta don't need vote mean instead better hospital Thailand have submarine.

You always do your best to find fault with this government but if you think about it few elected governments did anything either.

Why not bitch about them too, or doesn't that fit in with your agenda?

Tragic the loss of any life is tragic, the boy was taken to hospital and told to wait.

Happens every day in every country in the world.

So why are some posters here condemning staff training/ government policy?

Stop it you silly buggers, staff at the hospital were probably busy with other patients.

Had they known the boy was in need of urgent attention, they would have attended to him sooner.

"Young boy dies in hospital waiting room 'because he had to wait'...' he could have been saved if the hospital had given him the appropriate treatment right from the start.' "

Triage???...We don't need no stinkin' triage? First come, first served went out in the early 20th century.

Edited by jaltsc

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Read the world news.

Things like this happen all over the first world countries as well.

I rarely use hospitals here in Thailand but when I have I have had no qualms about the training that the hospital staff received.

You always do your best to find fault with this government but if you think about it few elected governments did anything either.

Universal healthcare?

you read story from Missouri above?

i believe elected government more responsive to needs of people. What you believe?

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Tragic the loss of any life is tragic, the boy was taken to hospital and told to wait.

Stop it you silly buggers, staff at the hospital were probably busy with other patients.

Had they known the boy was in need of urgent attention, they would have attended to him sooner.

Bacause want improvement. Just. What you want. Just stay same? You think should just forget this happen and not try find way for prevent happen in future.

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

It's a tragic death especially as he was so young. I agree that nobody should jump to any conclusions that anything was really done wrong, but it's certainly worth INVESTIGATING this case in case there was, and if there was, maybe they could improve policies for the future. 

in Australia you are seen by the nurse as you come in, temp and bp taken as well as pulse, this is everyone. If you happen to have bad readings you are pushed through, this is always the best method but here someone with a runny nose gets preference over someone dying because they were there first, very backward.

20 minutes ago, Pridilives said:

Universal healthcare?

i believe elected government more responsive to needs of people. What you believe?

I believe that you really have little idea of what you are talking about.

I do believe however that you are correct when you say that elected governments should be more responsive to the needs of people.

If Thailand ever gets a government like that, please let me know as I have not seen one here in the 24 years that I have been coming to Thailand.

I know that in the UK where I used to live people have called for an ambulance and the victim has died whilst waiting 5 hours for it to arrive.

You can have any health system that you want to pay for.

Just now, billd766 said:

Probably because we're in Thailand and we're all posting on a forum called Thai Visa.

But don't let something so unbelievably obvious get in the way of your agenda.

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Very difficult for hospital staff to know it was that serious. Just a very unfortunate incident but I wouldn't blame the hospital as long as they triage as normal. 

In this case any reasonable triage system would indicate urgency: severe pain including an inability to sit. At the very least that would be indicative of something like appendicitis, with the consequent need to get him in to be seen, STAT.

They can be excused for not foreseeing the clot, but inexcusable to keep a child with severe pain waiting ( or any patient for that matter).

In this case any reasonable triage system would indicate urgency: severe pain including an inability to sit. At the very least that would be indicative of something like appendicitis, with the consequent need to get him in to be seen, STAT.

They can be excused for not foreseeing the clot, but inexcusable to keep a child with severe pain waiting ( or any patient for that matter).

You sound like you have some medical knowledge. Perhaps you're right that they made an unambiguous mistake. I don't know.

One thing I do know is that individuals feel and express pain differently. So some people with minor problems will feel like they're dying and others that are dying will be calm.

5 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

We don't know everything but as a former senior hospital manager I can assure you that it is very difficult to tell and these things do happen. I am assuming all the basic checks were done (a big assumption I know).

Just now, LannaGuy said:

We don't know everything but as a former senior hospital manager I can assure you that it is very difficult to tell and these things do happen. I am assuming all the basic checks were done (a big assumption I know).

Point taken but the fact remains that it is absolutely basic that a child presenting with SEVERE pain is to be seen immediately, top priority other than an unresponsive patient. The triage system has failed this kid, IMHO.

I have no medical background ( other than paediatrician ex-wife ,a vacation job as an orderly c1969 , and watching ER) so I would defer to your judgement....but the point remains...that SEVERE pain ( not a grumbling stomach ache) is just about highest priority.

Just now, Prbkk said:

Point taken but the fact remains that it is absolutely basic that a child presenting with SEVERE pain is to be seen immediately, top priority other than an unresponsive patient. The triage system has failed this kid, IMHO.

I have no medical background ( other than paediatrician ex-wife ,a vacation job as an orderly c1969 , and watching ER) so I would defer to your judgement....but the point remains...that SEVERE pain ( not a grumbling stomach ache) is just about highest priority.

Yes if that's what actually happened but I suspect no one thought it was that serious but they all jumped to it once he collapsed. Easy to sit here and say "they should have known" and they may have had a couple car accidents in with patients in dire need and they made a judgement call (we don't know).

1 hour ago, seajae said:

in Australia you are seen by the nurse as you come in, temp and bp taken as well as pulse, this is everyone. If you happen to have bad readings you are pushed through, this is always the best method but here someone with a runny nose gets preference over someone dying because they were there first, very backward.

Having checked pulse and blood pressure would have shown alarming indicators - might be he could have been saved. He would have needed emergency vascular surgery

But a ruptured abdominal vessel is not easy to fix (but they don't say which one was affected)

Edited by sweatalot

2 hours ago, petermik said:

You dont know what your talking about,  I spent hundreds of £, or thousands of Baht on private Bangkok Hospitals. Two years ago, Even posting a thread on here, asking if anyone knew what my symptoms could be, The last private hospital i attended in Samut Prakan did not have a clue, i got prescribed 10 vitamin tablets and two isotonic drinks, I gave them back  to the Doctor, after paying 25000 baht for them , telling him he needed them more than i did, The final straw came one morning at about 2  am, I woke up delirious my wife took me to a GOVERNMENT hospital close by, I arrived at 2 20am, they took blood samples from me, I was injected with painkillers and then slept till 10 am ,  I was wheeled into a room with a Thai Female Doctor ,  She told me i needed to come in for observation and tests,  I like you had no faith in  Thai government Hospitals, I said give me a week to think about it, She then said you will be dead in a week if you dont come in, I had swollen liver spleen and kidneys and that my white blood cells were  too high. I had leukemia,  She told me to go home as I would get better treatment in the UK ,  I was on a plane 5 hours later,  i then spent two weeks in Hospital in England, She was spot on with the diagnosis. I have great respect for that doctor  who worked in a Thai Government hospital, 

Edited by Thongkorn

8 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Yes if that's what actually happened but I suspect no one thought it was that serious but they all jumped to it once he collapsed. Easy to sit here and say "they should have known" and they may have had a couple car accidents in with patients in dire need and they made a judgement call (we don't know).

Hindsight is great, I take it the people who work there are professionals and don't want this to happen.  Its always easy to blame people in hindsight. Its not like we never made a mistake ourselves. 

24 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Absolutely spot on! accidents will always happen but as noted above any triage system will pick this up, problem is as stated previously there are a lot of staff in the Thai system who lack basic life support and triage skills

2 hours ago, petermik said:

I think this could have happened in any hospital in the world, it is rather rare that abdominal pain is urgently life threatening.

A highly unusual occurrence. 

In the absence of a history of trauma (however inflicted) this will likely prove to be the result of a congenital condition affecting the cerebral blood vessels.

My thoughts are with those living through the emotional turmoil created by the child's death --the child's family and the hospitals clinical staff.

2 hours ago, Pridilives said:

Universal healthcare?

If that was the case, why is this country infested with corruption?

Top down!-Bottom up

3 minutes ago, Here2008 said:

A highly unusual occurrence. 

In the absence of a history of trauma (however inflicted) this will likely prove to be the result of a congenital condition affecting the cerebral blood vessels.

My thoughts are with those living through the emotional turmoil created by the child's death --the child's family and the hospitals clinical staff.

No just from what is written here it sounds potentially like an aortic anurism, some of the indicators are there such as the severe upper abdo pain and this should have been investigated, a few very simple questions and a simple examination should have highlighted this

What this does show is there appears to be a fundamental lack of knowledge relating to life threatening symptoms and a failure of the staff to pick up on this and triage the patient, by the way I work as a paramedic and these symptoms as they are reported here would have been picked up whether he could have been saved is questionable but early diagnosis would certainly have offered him a chance