How to convince my parents that I don't want to do my college in Thailand?

Hi,

Mahidol has an international college in English.  They have there both physics and applied math.  It's well regarded.  Suggest that you check the rankings of Mahidol specifically in these areas.  But I know for sure that people who graduate in Mahidol with good grades can continue to good M.Sc degrees overseas. 

On 7/22/2017 at 6:37 PM, Light Michaels said:

Undergraduate fees is very expensive, the cost in total ranges between S$39,736 - S$48,836. I had thought of studying abroad since I was 13, and have only saved up 9000 Rupees. It is a very meagre amount since I was never allowed to do a part time job and was never allowed to open a bank account. It is just the Christmas money saved up over time.

Check the links below Mahidol is a top notch University and the courses you need are in English

https://www.bachelorstudies.com/Bachelor-of-Science-in-Physics/Thailand/MUIC-Study-in-Thailand/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahidol_University

I know that education in Singapore is highly rated but in my experience is that students there learn by rote. I had to recruit engineers and found it difficult to find candidates who could actually think outside the box. In my opinion Universities in Europe develop thinkers and offer superior courses.

1 hour ago, English Engineer said:

I know that education in Singapore is highly rated but in my experience is that students there learn by rote. I had to recruit engineers and found it difficult to find candidates who could actually think outside the box. In my opinion Universities in Europe develop thinkers and offer superior courses.

Singapore - learn by rote, not true. One of the best countries in the world for pedagogy opposite to rote learning.

Try lecturing a graduate class in Singapore and sit back and be impressed by the quick analysis of the lesson content and the insightful questions and the desire to understand more deeply. And with politeness.

Send your teenage son to go to high school in Singapore and be amazed at how he changed from not knowing 'why' in science subjects to being able to give you very detailed explanations of 'why'.  

Edited by scorecard

On 7/22/2017 at 6:07 PM, Daryle said:

He doesn't have to rely on his parents money. He's old enough to set his own life path. Nothing wrong with that advice, speaking as a self made man!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

And, how many math/physics degrees have you earned as a self-made man?

On 7/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, impulse said:

Like that's useful advice for a kid his age?

You never heard of someone paying for their own college??? You sound like another privileged jerk. Ever think of getting a job while going to school? Millions of Canadians do it. I did it.

I believe trying to pay your way through college (in the US) as an international student is nearly impossible due to the flight risk.  If you need loans I think it requires a US citizen or green card holder to co-sign on the loan.  Otherwise you have to pay in full and international tuition rates are usually 3x in-state rates.  I would guess other countries are similar otherwise everyone would be going overseas for school then skipping out on the bill.

Edited by revwatch

I think your father might be onto something here, as previously stated on this thread, we do not know your fathers financial situation.

However, below are just a couple of paragraphs researched on the internet. Go ahead and follow the link at the end.

It would pay to discuss this directly with your father though, to find out where he is coming from with this. He has probably done his research, more than anyone else on T.V would have done anyway. (Just a thought)

Regardless, whatever happens I wish you luck with your future young man. Stay focused..

"Students have to pass entrance examinations and an interview in order to get into the college. There is an English examination which utilizes TOEFL-style exam questions for four sections - Grammar, Writing, Reading and Listening. MUIC is currently partnered with over 70 countries to allow admission for international students to study at the university. In the United States, for example it is partnered with 18 universities, including The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Currently, MUIC accepts three types of inbound students, full-time, exchange, and visiting."

"Mahidol University was one of the first universities in Thailand to offer liberal arts, international, English-based Bachelor programmes. The opportunity proved to be a success amongst Thai students looking for a leg up into studying further degrees abroad. Mahidol University, as a whole, has been ranked the best university in Thailand in various ranking methodologies.

"The college is said to be "one of the most successful international undergraduate degree programs in Thailand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahidol_University_International_College

26 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

You never heard of someone paying for their own college??? You sound like another privileged jerk. Ever think of getting a job while going to school? Millions of Canadians do it. I did it.

Apparently, you skipped the day that they taught common civility and not ragging on people about whom you know nothing.  Funny, because most Canadians seemed to take that lesson to heart.  And you have the nerve to call me a jerk.  That's rich.

I paid for my own.  In fact, I was on the 7 year plan because I kept running out of money and had drop out and  work another couple of years as tuition skyrocketed.  But that was a different time and a different place.  The OP's from India, with parents living in a country where he can't work legally and scholarships are few and far between.  A far cry from you living in a high wage country where you had all the rights of citizenship and stability.  Not to mention the price of a decent degree is nothing like what it was, even as a percentage of the average (stagnant) prevailing wage.

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Apparently, you skipped the day that they taught common civility and not ragging on people about whom you know nothing.  Funny, because most Canadians seemed to take that lesson to heart.  And you have the nerve to call me a jerk.  That's rich.

I paid for my own.  In fact, I was on the 7 year plan because I kept running out of money and had drop out and  work another couple of years as tuition skyrocketed.  But that was a different time and a different place.  The OP's from India, with parents living in a country where he can't work legally and scholarships are few and far between.  A far cry from you living in a high wage country where you had all the rights of citizenship and stability.  Not to mention the price of a decent degree is nothing like what it was, even as a percentage of the average (stagnant) prevailing wage.

"....country where he can't work legally..."

Not sure if that's true, he  said in his first post that he is Thai.

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"....country where he can't work legally..."

Not sure if that's true, he  said in his first post that he is Thai.

Good catch.  My bad.

But what are the chances a 17 year old will be able to make the kind of dosh he'd need to fund his own university education at Thai wages available to a kid his age?   It's not like "back home" where every kid is entitled to a university education if they get decent grades and are willing to work for it.  Thailand needs millions of grunt laborers annually to feed the rice fields and fishing boats and road gangs (yes, that's over-simplified).  The opportunities we enjoyed as average kids are only available here to a small minority.  And it's toughsky shitsky to the rest of them. (toughski shitski if you're Polish)  I hope the OP doesn't end up being one of the rest of them.

Edited by impulse

On 7/22/2017 at 4:39 PM, impulse said:

Like that's useful advice for a kid his age?

Quite a few people pay for their own education...I did, and I knew several students whose parents simply didn't have the money for school...it builds character I think.  Even if I had money to pay for my kids' school, I would make them pay a significant portion on their own. Once people learn not to depend on others, that is probably the best lesson any man can learn. Independence and perseverance and setting goals. Parents cripple their kids when they pay for their schooling.

You should refer your father to the statistics that show that Thailand education rates near the very bottom by world standards.  Doing college or university here would be a waste of your time and a waste of his money. Even with a masters degree you will likely never find employment outside Thailand. Sad but true.

All i can add ,our Kids learned English from English Teachers.Nothing against American ones, but to aThai /Ferang kid to finish up with Jennifer Sue yank twang just sounds awfull to most.Just listen to Add Carabow to hear nice English .?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, johnmcc6 said:

You should refer your father to the statistics that show that Thailand education rates near the very bottom by world standards.  Doing college or university here would be a waste of your time and a waste of his money. Even with a masters degree you will likely never find employment outside Thailand. Sad but true.

Not as simple as you suggest.

Many respected Thai Universities have active exchange programs with universities from across the world.

My Bkk uni has active exchange programs with several well respected unis from Germany, Denmark, Sweden, France, South Korea and more, and currently for many programs 20 / 40% of the students are from exchange programs. Currently German exchange students dominate.

I also lecture at another well respected Thai uni, exactly the same profile.

The off-shore universities would never sign such exchange programs unless they are convinced of the quality before it starts and on-going. Many such unis have a small team who visit the exchange unis once or twice a year to assess the situation and I've had a few of them sit in the back of the class to do an evaluation.

I've never heard of any adverse comments about any aspect of these programs. 

Try some of the English language degree programmes in Holland,( for example University of Gronigen) fees are reasonable and you could apply for a scholarship -sources listed on their website- if your science/maths grades are up to it. A fun place to live and study and laid back people. Good luck.

Edited by Hugh Jarse

I think at APAC University in Bangkok a lot of the lectures are in English.  I used to own a bar a stone's throw from the campus so naturally pretty much all the customers were APAC undergrads, and most of the spoke English really well, if not fluently.  I asked about this and one guy told me a lot of them attended international schools before APAC, and that at APAC many of the lecturers were not Thai and used English.  Not sure mind, but look into it. 

The days when you could study for free at most Universities are long gone. Nationals of a country can usually borrow money to pay for University, International students less so (and often have to pay far more). In this case, it seems that what university he can attend depends largely on what money his father can afford (or is willing to pay). Paying fees and working your way through University is nearly impossible for an international student, visas, work permits, actual costs and you still need to pass exams ....

In the UK, an international student would need about 60,000 GBP minimum for a 3 year course. They do allow part=time work, but no way could you earn even half that. Cheapest in Europe is Germany, which charges no fees to International students, but you would still need say 30,000 Euros for living costs unless you work. At his age, and with basically zero savings, self-financing is out of the question.

Yes, you need to talk to your father - obviously you need a course taught in English, or it would be a waste of time. Any options in India for you? When you pass 18, would you still have a valid visa in India, or do you also have an Indian passport?

I sympathise with your misgivings, but you do not have a lot of options, I think.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:14 AM, scorecard said:

Not as simple as you suggest.

Many respected Thai Universities have active exchange programs with universities from across the world.

My Bkk uni has active exchange programs with several well respected unis from Germany, Denmark, Sweden, France, South Korea and more, and currently for many programs 20 / 40% of the students are from exchange programs. Currently German exchange students dominate.

I also lecture at another well respected Thai uni, exactly the same profile.

The off-shore universities would never sign such exchange programs unless they are convinced of the quality before it starts and on-going. Many such unis have a small team who visit the exchange unis once or twice a year to assess the situation and I've had a few of them sit in the back of the class to do an evaluation.

I've never heard of any adverse comments about any aspect of these programs. 

I have friends who took advantage of the programs you are referring to. They are in particularly high positions now  as a result. The poster admitted he did not have great English skills unlike the people I am talking about. This why I think he will not get accepted to your programs, as good as they are, without very good English skills. Should he overcome this impediment by learning English and have the appropriate grades, I am sure he could take advantage of these programs. I wish him luck with convincing his father.

On 8/6/2017 at 0:06 PM, johnmcc6 said:

I have friends who took advantage of the programs you are referring to. They are in particularly high positions now  as a result. The poster admitted he did not have great English skills unlike the people I am talking about. This why I think he will not get accepted to your programs, as good as they are, without very good English skills. Should he overcome this impediment by learning English and have the appropriate grades, I am sure he could take advantage of these programs. I wish him luck with convincing his father.

Maybe you should re read the post. The OP speaks English as he was raised in India , he doesn't speak Thai well so thought it would be difficult going to a Thai University. Since Mahidol and others have classes and degree programs in English that would not be a problem. He wanted to go to Singapore because they teach in English.

i agee with the previous comment,plus also , a thai qualification will mean very little in regards to decent pay or obtaining work..yes, unfortunately,it all costs money money money....an even better education,in a western country is even more expensive,but would give better repayment in the very long term....im sure your father will be happy with you, if do eventually qulafy-elsewhere....i applaud you for questioning his ideals....singapore is a very expensive place to do anything----maybe you can finf somewhere else, a little cheaper.....good luck

On 04/08/2017 at 1:51 PM, stephen tracy said:

I think at APAC University in Bangkok a lot of the lectures are in English.  I used to own a bar a stone's throw from the campus so naturally pretty much all the customers were APAC undergrads, and most of the spoke English really well, if not fluently.  I asked about this and one guy told me a lot of them attended international schools before APAC, and that at APAC many of the lecturers were not Thai and used English.  Not sure mind, but look into it. 

ABAC, now known as Assumption University.