Bad ISPs _ question/ comments

manchega

Hi, I had a little search in history but did not find exactly what I wanted.

So from comments on here and talking with real people ( as opposed to electronically) it seems all isp's are equally bad in the country.  they have no intention of competing with another provider as all services are equally incompetent.

However I googled and found a wikipedia entry for isps ( https://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs#Thailand) or wike vuze or something under bad isps and it states TOT is the only isp that does not throttle bandwidth.

Thailand

ISP limits BitTorrent bandwidth Tier 1 partners might 1 shape proposed Encryption level limits bandwidth for accounts with a high traffic volume limits bandwidth during certain times of the day prevents seeding 2 prevents/filters .torrent download 3 causes unsolvable NAT problem offers no real flatrate
3BB, Thailand Yes Yes  ? Yes Yes No No Yes Yes
TOT, Thailand No No  ? No No No No No No
CAT Telecom, Thailand Yes Yes  ? Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
True Internet, Thailand Yes No  ? Yes Yes, see note below No No No Yes
BuddyBB, Thailand Yes, see note below Yes ? Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
  • BuddyBB Home package used TOT line. International bandwidth was limited to 256 Kb/s - 1Mb/s.
  • True Internet highly throttle torrent traffic during day time. You have to download during night (after 1 am GMT+7) to get unthrottled speed.
  • Most of home Internet in Thailand is connected via ADSL thus upload rate usually very slow by specification.

Does this entry mean that TOT will be the least worse isp in thailand, and I should stop messing around with those others?

please help. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, manchega said:

Does this entry mean that TOT will be the least worse isp in thailand, and I should stop messing around with those others?

That will earn some fierce protest.:whistling:

Many unsatisfied ToT customers especially in Pattaya and other city areas.

They are competing for worst with True.

And it's no surprise that mostly condo residents complain.

I am a ToT fiber customer in the sticks (house and dedicated line to the "box") and have little to complain.

There is no simple answer to best/worst.

You have to look/ask about your region and technology (ADSL, fiber, DOCSIS cable whatever).

17 hours ago, muratremix said:

I can vouch 3BB works great now.

"Great" is perhaps a bit over the top, but 3BB is certainly on the good side of OK as far as I'm concerned (Jomtien condo, 50/20 VDSL with @inter option, though my line could actually support 90/30 if it existed).

I also have 50/20 vdsl in bangkok and now they seem to upgrade my down speed to 65-70 mbit.

I get 20 mbit in single connection to singapore (but slower to rest of the world) and speed is stable.

I download files via google drive (torrents on server --> upload to gdrive via drive app -> download files via chrome from drive.google.com) and I get 8000 KB/sec speed on single download.

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

"Great" is perhaps a bit over the top, but 3BB is certainly on the good side of OK as far as I'm concerned (Jomtien condo, 50/20 VDSL with @inter option, though my line could actually support 90/30 if it existed).

Now that you have "upgraded" to 3BB VDSL, do you think it's faster than the previous 3BB ADSL you had?

ISTR you (like I) had an older ADSL package that wasn't as restricted on overseas bandwidth as newer ADSL packages.  I've been holding off on switching to VDSL, since in appears to be a one-way street with no returning to the old ADSL package, until I heard some first-hand reports from users who had switched.

32 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Now that you have "upgraded" to 3BB VDSL, do you think it's faster than the previous 3BB ADSL you had?

It is. I do pay extra for the @inter option.

33 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

ISTR you (like I) had an older ADSL package that wasn't as restricted on overseas bandwidth as newer ADSL packages.

That's right. I was waiting for VDSL to become available in my building, which it did recently.

I don't pay for inter

but I do get 8000 KB/sec from google drive (max speed)  and 20Mbit from singapore on single connection

I just did testmy.net tests, speed to europe starts slow but it goes up eventually

http://testmy.net/share/jrXo4KMs6

http://testmy.net/share/kzUETIBrL

3BB throttle like every other ISP (maybe except AIS, which doesn't seem to throttle) but given their extremely high speeds, you still get great speeds.

@KittenKong:  Thanks for the confirmation.  Next time I wander up to Tesco, I'll stop by the 3BB counter and see how soon I can get signed up, too.  I was *very* reluctant to give up the rock solid 18/1.8 Mbps ADSL plan I have, but now that you've confirmed the VDSL (with @inter) is faster, I'm ready now.

This month the connection I use at home, which I use for kids tv mainly has stopped working efficiently.  Had at least 6 months of great service then suddenly buffering and dropped signals.  Multiple drops in all connections throughout the day using true 30 MbPs sevice.

Has anyone else suffered suddenly bad reception from true, high buffering, frequent drops in signal last few months?

Just got them out to replace router,  they said line is good, and replaced router even  though they claim it was working well.  Start streaming and have excellent speedtest results.  Suddenly buffering and dropped connections.

I guess I can go 3BB, but will have to suffer another load of incompetent engineers putting holes in my house.

the true lot they figure have stiff wires creating a trip hazard at bottom of stairs is ok.  I came back just in time to find a massive hole in the wall, and got them to at least remove trip hazard.

Is general consensus that 3BB is best?  From janclaes it looks like TOT are the least desirable,

On 27/07/2017 at 10:09 PM, wpcoe said:

@KittenKong:  Thanks for the confirmation.  Next time I wander up to Tesco, I'll stop by the 3BB counter and see how soon I can get signed up, too.  I was *very* reluctant to give up the rock solid 18/1.8 Mbps ADSL plan I have, but now that you've confirmed the VDSL (with @inter) is faster, I'm ready now.

You may be in for a surprise.

I had the 3BB ADSL inter for the past year, but you will know that 3BB doesn't sell new ADSL subscriptions any more.

My contract finish end of this month, and suddenly I start getting problems.

Yesterday I got VDSL installed, and there is no inter option for the VDSL

4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Yesterday I got VDSL installed, and there is no inter option for the VDSL

What?  Are you saying that 3BB has discontinued the B200 "@ Inter" add-on for VDSL?  Admittedly it has been over a month, but last time I was at the 3BB counter they showed it on a display brochure.

31 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

What?  Are you saying that 3BB has discontinued the B200 "@ Inter" add-on for VDSL?  Admittedly it has been over a month, but last time I was at the 3BB counter they showed it on a display brochure.

When I got VDSL a few weeks ago I was told that they would have to send an email to someone to find out whether I could have @inter or not. A few hours later the girl called me and said that I could have it, so I went back the next day and paid, got the new modem and it was working later the same day. I was called at least 5 times over the next 24 hours by different people from different places to check that it was working OK.

I have no idea what the potential stumbling block requiring email confirmation might have been.

52 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I deal with the regional office at Chayapruek and was told no inter package for VDSL.

I called 1530 and was told the same.

I will go back tomorrow to the regional office, since I had an agreement that I could switch back to the ADSL inter, so will push hard tomorrow.

I have never seen a brochure or anything on their website regarding an inter package.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

I deal with the regional office at Chayapruek and was told no inter package for VDSL.

I called 1530 and was told the same.

I will go back tomorrow to the regional office, since I had an agreement that I could switch back to the ADSL inter, so will push hard tomorrow.

I have never seen a brochure or anything on their website regarding an inter package.

I know the 3BB counter in Tesco Lotus on Sukhumvit had it pinned to the wall on the left-hand side of the counter.  I'm pretty sure it was the VDSL promo brochure, but might have been some other ad/document.  Several months ago -- probably January? -- I was in the 3BB office on Thepprasit and they also were advertising the @inter with VDSL.

Found this in another thread from April, this year:

3BB@Inter.jpg.44a965d7d4ba6d01a1f4e9b4dd

ISTR, that the VDSL 50/10 Mbps plan was later upgraded to 50/20 Mbps.

6 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I will go back tomorrow to the regional office, since I had an agreement that I could switch back to the ADSL inter,

When I asked this was specifically refused by three different offices.

you don't need 3bb adsl.

3bb vdsl 50/20 provides enough speed (20mbit/s to singapore and max 35mbit/s to singapore using multi threads)

my 50/20 is now 70/24 in modem and 65/22 inside Thailand.

speed is still low against europe (it's probably higher in fiber plans) but when you use singapore personal vpn, f** the world, who cares? :)

18 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I know the 3BB counter in Tesco Lotus on Sukhumvit had it pinned to the wall on the left-hand side of the counter.  I'm pretty sure it was the VDSL promo brochure, but might have been some other ad/document.  Several months ago -- probably January? -- I was in the 3BB office on Thepprasit and they also were advertising the @inter with VDSL.

Found this in another thread from April, this year:

3BB@Inter.jpg.44a965d7d4ba6d01a1f4e9b4dd

ISTR, that the VDSL 50/10 Mbps plan was later upgraded to 50/20 Mbps.

I been to the administration office on Chaiapruek again to today, and was again confirmed that there is NO inter package anymore for the VDSL, only for fibre.

Also be aware that on the VDSL there is a restriction on VPN.

Before I had the ADSL and when connected to Singapore VPN I would get good speed results to UK ( about 12MB) . I was on the 18/1.8 ADSL inter.

Yesterday I did the following test on and Android device connected by LAN

I am on 30/10 VDSL

Without VPN I get ~11Mb to UK and 25Mb to Singapore.

When I connect to same Singapore VPN I get 6Mb to UK.

So I pick up my device and drive to my friends house. He is still on the 18/1.8 ADSL package.

Without VPN he gets 18Mb to Singapore and 16Mb to UK on my Android device

With Singapore VPN connected the speed result to UK is 12Mb.

So while his speed to Singapore without VPN is significant lower than mine, the test to UK is double with VPN enabled.

Take note that I always used the same device and connected to the same paid VPN server and same test server using testmy.net.

Thanks janclaes47, very useful and detailed info re: VPN performance on 3BB VDSL and will help in decision making.

Interested to also know if there is any significant reduction in international performance in the evenings. I say performance as opposed to speed because I had the 50/10 VDSL without[mention=12223]inter[/mention] initially and testmy.net remained good and constant but my international IPTV service would start buffering badly around the same time Every evening. Added the[mention=12223]inter[/mention] and can watch 1080 anytime (Australian and USA Servers).

Edit: My VPN also didn't help in countering buffering without [mention=12223]inter[/mention] and like you I think the speeds actually dropped.

My continued interest is because we have a 2nd property and I was hoping to install the now non existent 50/10 VDSL plus[mention=12223]inter[/mention].

1 hour ago, Caiman said:

Thanks janclaes47, very useful and detailed info re: VPN performance on 3BB VDSL and will help in decision making.

Interested to also know if there is any significant reduction in international performance in the evenings. I say performance as opposed to speed because I had the 50/10 VDSL without[mention=12223]inter[/mention] initially and testmy.net remained good and constant but my international IPTV service would start buffering badly around the same time Every evening. Added the[mention=12223]inter[/mention] and can watch 1080 anytime (Australian and USA Servers).

Edit: My VPN also didn't help in countering buffering without [mention=12223]inter[/mention] and like you I think the speeds actually dropped.

My continued interest is because we have a 2nd property and I was hoping to install the now non existent 50/10 VDSL plus[mention=12223]inter[/mention].

My speed stays constant during the eveings, but I haven't checked yet if live streams start buffering because they throttle, which could well be an issue since they also throttle vpn usage.

I will check it out this weekend.

There is no restriction in VPN in my 50/20 vdsl 3bb.

Because I stay away from public vpn providers maybe? I buy 5$/month digitalocean 512MB kvm vps and install openvpn and proxy and thats it.

However, even with vpn, 3BB restricts bandwidth against one location. It doesn't let me use more than 50% of my allocated bandwidth (65-70 mbit instead of 50 mbits). But I can download from google drive (singapore direct peering, no throttling!) at maximum speed of 8000 kb/sec via 5Ghz AC wireless.

I had major problems with a True air card. I changed to an AIS air card. It was better but still nothing to brag about. They finally ran a TOT fiber cable through our village. I had about given up on having decent Internet but have to say that I am very happy with the TOT fiber. I don't need the 200/80 speed but I had told my wife to sign up for their best package. I had no idea what their packages were, The 1,200 baht per month is still cheaper than she was paying for the air card service. My wife uses all that social crap and her nephews come over to also use the WiFi. My wife pays for the Internet service so when her nephews used the air card Internet, I didn't complain. I did complain when they sucked all the speed out of the air card and used up the allotment. It then cost her 99 baht for the additional 5 GB add ons. My desk top is connected with a LAN cable and it is much faster than the WiFi connection.

6 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I had major problems with a True air card. I changed to an AIS air card. It was better but still nothing to brag about. They finally ran a TOT fiber cable through our village. I had about given up on having decent Internet but have to say that I am very happy with the TOT fiber. I don't need the 200/80 speed but I had told my wife to sign up for their best package. I had no idea what their packages were, The 1,200 baht per month is still cheaper than she was paying for the air card service. My wife uses all that social crap and her nephews come over to also use the WiFi. My wife pays for the Internet service so when her nephews used the air card Internet, I didn't complain. I did complain when they sucked all the speed out of the air card and used up the allotment. It then cost her 99 baht for the additional 5 GB add ons. My desk top is connected with a LAN cable and it is much faster than the WiFi connection.

FYI AIS has 1mbps / 4mbps and 6mbps unlimited data 4G/3G packages and speed is pretty good for home where you can't get adsl or fibre. Perhaps get this one to her nephews instead of crappy 5gb package?

12 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Because I stay away from public vpn providers maybe? I buy 5$/month digitalocean 512MB kvm vps and install openvpn and proxy and thats it.

However, even with vpn, 3BB restricts bandwidth against one location. It doesn't let me use more than 50% of my allocated bandwidth (65-70 mbit instead of 50 mbits). But I can download from google drive (singapore direct peering, no throttling!) at maximum speed of 8000 kb/sec via 5Ghz AC wireless.

You should have noticed that I wrote in my post PAID VPN, does that sound like public?

Fact is that with that same PAID VPN, I got a higher speed to UK ( same test server and same Singapore VPN server) when on my 3BB ADSL, while having a much lower speed to to Singapore with direct connection on that package.

Same when I test on my friends ADSL with the same device and VPN. He has much lower direct connection to Singapore, but the speed to UK with VPN enabled is higher.

And aren't you contradicting yourself?

18 minutes ago, muratremix said:

18 minutes ago, muratremix said:

However, even with vpn, 3BB restricts bandwidth against one location

56 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You should have noticed that I wrote in my post PAID VPN, does that sound like public?

Fact is that with that same PAID VPN, I got a higher speed to UK ( same test server and same Singapore VPN server) when on my 3BB ADSL, while having a much lower speed to to Singapore with direct connection on that package.

Same when I test on my friends ADSL with the same device and VPN. He has much lower direct connection to Singapore, but the speed to UK with VPN enabled is higher.

And aren't you contradicting yourself?

Public VPN does not mean FREE vpn. I'm not native english speaker but I can distinct Public and Free vpn.

Public means vpn provider, which can be blocked easily.

Throttling against one IP does not mean VPN BAN. it is just the way throttling works. Before, I could download a file with 10 parts to overcome throttling per connection, now they moved to throttling per IP so you can't bypass throttling like before but they also increased throttling limits so it is more fair.

Again, PAID vpn is a PUBLIC one like hidemyass where everybody can see their server IPs and block them on the spot.

6 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Public VPN does not mean FREE vpn. I'm not native english speaker but I can distinct Public and Free vpn.

Public means vpn provider, which can be blocked easily.

Throttling against one IP does not mean VPN BAN. it is just the way throttling works. Before, I could download a file with 10 parts to overcome throttling per connection, now they moved to throttling per IP so you can't bypass throttling like before but they also increased throttling limits so it is more fair.

Again, PAID vpn is a PUBLIC one like hidemyass where everybody can see their server IPs and block them on the spot.

I'm also not English native, but I can read and understand the description  of my VPN, and it also connects though Openvpn

VPN Unlimited is one of the best virtual private network services to protect all data you receive or send over the internet,