Soi Dogs

lelapin

I have recently started to have problems with some soi dogs while out for my exercise walks. I did some research on DAZER 11 - a sound repellent - and got very mixed reviews. I was thinking of carrying with me a small pepper spray. Any thoughts on how successful this might be and where I could purchase it in Pattaya.

Just carry dog biscuits & then they will know you when you come along

Threatening them will always provoke future attacks 

& for those who say the Thais might not like what you do are wrong  - I watched a man come back with a steel 1 " pipe & started swinging at them, also had to rescue old people

I don't know how extensive your research was regarding Dazer  but I can tell you think very carefully about pepper spray because you could end up in serious trouble if you injure one of them

I have a Dazer type device (different brand) and it works quite well, I only use it if a dog shows aggression with posture or barking. Gives me a sense of security. I still avoid areas when I can see a dog has staked out a territory but sometimes you can't always avoid.

13 hours ago, BEVUP said:

& for those who say the Thais might not like what you do are wrong  - I watched a man come back with a steel 1 " pipe & started swinging at them, also had to rescue old people

feeding soi dogs is the wrong thing to do. feeding means they will breed more. carrying a stick is your best defence. avoid looking at them. street i was living on had soi dogs barking at night and they would wake up my baby so i would shoot them from my rooftop with a BB gun with plastic BBs. this seemed to work quite well at stopping them from doing it again.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

I had soi dog problems. As crazy as they seem, these methods worked. In Thailand, dogs are trained with a stick. Leave a 4-5 foot stick at both ends of the area near the soi dogs. Throw stones with intent to miss hitting dogs. Show aggression, dogs see us as The Alpha Male when we are aggressive. Growl at the dog.

This is, and will forever remain, a problem as long as the Thai (and Lao) are completely irresponsible pet owners. Many years ago there was a bit of a problem with dogs on my very short soi. I bought a Doberman. I had her imported from Germany from a very reputable breeder. By the time she was 6-8 months old she had chewed the crap out of every dog around. I would take her for walks on a 3m leash. When the soi dogs came barking and growling I held the end of the leash and let her take care of business. It didn't take long for word to get out among the mutts. Don't mess with the German! It's peaceful now.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

feeding soi dogs is the wrong thing to do. feeding means they will breed more. carrying a stick is your best defence. avoid looking at them. street i was living on had soi dogs barking at night and they would wake up my baby so i would shoot them from my rooftop with a BB gun with plastic BBs. this seemed to work quite well at stopping them from doing it again.

I was thinking about renting a place in JomTien up until yesterday,  when I walked out, there were no less than 10 soi dogs fighting over five piles of rice fish/balls some good samaritan laid out for them.  I had to click my Dazer II about five or six times to break it up, walked right thru them while they looked bewildered (funny)   when I was on my way back, the food was gone and only five dogs were laying about, eyeballing me warily.........the moral of this is someone, I assume European since that is all I see here, is buying food from the little restaurant in the alley and feeding them..........okay, I have no problem with that, but it attracted another gang of dogs to fight over the food...........damned if you do and damned if you don't.    I am looking elsewhere now.

15 hours ago, midas said:

I don't know how extensive your research was regarding Dazer  but I can tell you think very carefully about pepper spray because you could end up in serious trouble if you injure one of them

It has never failed me, even broke up two cats one night that were screeching at each other on the compound wall................this is not a weapon, it's a deterent and a trainer, the dog's, cat's will soon learn your smell and that you have bad Ju-Ju and stay away from you...........can also train your own animal when to bark and not to bark.

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

100% agreed

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I have always found that if you "walk with purpose" and totally ignore them they rarely bother apart from the occasional territorial bark. 

as if you are very thirsty and going to a bar?

Dogs feed off the energy of other living things. Which means, if you get nervous, anxious, loud, afraid etc. dogs will interpret this as weakness. It also means, if there's nothing coming back from you they have no choice but to cool down.

Try this:

Next time the dogs come to hassle you, just stay completely still, make yourself as big as possible, avoid eye contact and the most important part is to stay emotionally completely calm. Think, hey guys, this is my fricking road and you guys got nothing on me.

By doing that you signal the dogs that you are a pack leader and that you won't take any shit from them. 

I had to resort to that a few times while I was living in Thailand. The first time I got all agitated and started yelling and working my arms and legs and it got the dogs just that much more wild. Then I did some research on how to deal with this and tried the above mentioned method and it worked like a charm. The dogs came running no towards me, barking like crazy. So I stopped and made myself as tall as possible and just stood there. As soon as I did that the dogs stopped and just kept looking at me, still barking a bit, but nowhere nearly as much as before. After about 30 seconds they shut up and then walked away.  As I mentioned before, though, you have got to stay emotionally calm! 

21 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Dogs feed off the energy of other living things. Which means, if you get nervous, anxious, loud, afraid etc. dogs will interpret this as weakness. It also means, if there's nothing coming back from you they have no choice but to cool down.

Try this:

Next time the dogs come to hassle you, just stay completely still, make yourself as big as possible, avoid eye contact and the most important part is to stay emotionally completely calm. Think, hey guys, this is my fricking road and you guys got nothing on me.

By doing that you signal the dogs that you are a pack leader and that you won't take any shit from them. 

I had to resort to that a few times while I was living in Thailand. The first time I got all agitated and started yelling and working my arms and legs and it got the dogs just that much more wild. Then I did some research on how to deal with this and tried the above mentioned method and it worked like a charm. The dogs came running no towards me, barking like crazy. So I stopped and made myself as tall as possible and just stood there. As soon as I did that the dogs stopped and just kept looking at me, still barking a bit, but nowhere nearly as much as before. After about 30 seconds they shut up and then walked away.  As I mentioned before, though, you have got to stay emotionally calm! 

Bet there were no rottweilers in the pack 

On 7/28/2017 at 8:14 AM, BEVUP said:

We have 2 "mu-ban" dogs in our gated neighborhood of 40 houses, left behind by the builders who lived in a temporary "shanty town" next to the neighborhood during the construction phase. There are only 2 dogs because they guard the territory with their lives, viciously defending their turf from other strays. But they're smart enough to be exceptionally friendly towards all the neighbors and domestic pets. In return they're very well fed by all the neighbors, farang and Thai. So the dog biscuit method would not work with them. Dog biscuits and dog food hold no appeal to these guys, who are spoiled by chicken and chicken liver. 

They do enjoy an occasional romp to scare off a stranger during the day, and their tolerance for strangers of the canine or human variety decreases significantly after dark, except when said stranger is vetted by a human neighbor.

Perhaps 30% of the neighborhood homes are unoccupied at any given time, yet there have been exactly zero cases of theft or vandalism in the neighborhood in the 4 years we've been here, unlike some of the other neighborhoods in the area. 

Edited by ftpjtm

BTW, the female of our neighborhood pair has been neutered by the neighborhood, who also pay for occasional veterinarian care for the female who tolerates it.

No one dares picking up or collaring the male for car rides though. 

Edited by ftpjtm

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

and their tolerance for strangers of the canine or human variety "decreases" significantly after dark,

Should read "INCREASES"

Edited by ftpjtm

On 7/28/2017 at 7:51 PM, midas said:

This may be the only country in the world where a stray dog has more rights than a human