Video: "Incompetent" western tourist on a motorbike banged to rights after trying to mount a CRV

rooster59

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I moved here, Chiang Mai, 4 years ago from Australia I bought a car and a scooter. I had driven 40 years in Australia but never really driven a motor bike. I lived in a large quiet Moobaan with lots of empty sois as was a new development so I practiced there. However on my jaunts out into the real world in my car I saw what was happening.

Sold motor bike with only 14km on it. Yes fourteen kilometres. Never driven once since and only a passenger a few times. Lost 10,000baht but better than my life.

The rental people have no right to complain about anyone regarding problems they create themselves by renting to customer of all races who do not meet the qualification to do so! 

Credit, to the Thai for getting money while his car is out of service from the foreigner, in a normal general situation out of luck?

Edited by thailand49

24 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

When I moved here, Chiang Mai, 4 years ago from Australia I bought a car and a scooter. I had driven 40 years in Australia but never really driven a motor bike. I lived in a large quiet Moobaan with lots of empty sois as was a new development so I practiced there. However on my jaunts out into the real world in my car I saw what was happening.

Sold motor bike with only 14km on it. Yes fourteen kilometres. Never driven once since and only a passenger a few times. Lost 10,000baht but better than my life.

Still that looks the best you could have done with the bike, sell it. 

My thia wife doesn't even let me buy a bike.

Daily I see (from behind my steering wheel in my car) these crazy behaviors of motorcyclists, not only driven by Thai and tourists, but also by mostly older expats with his young wife/girlfriend on the back.
You recognize them because they drive slow and insecure... 
From time to time you read about expats on motorbikes being killed in terrible roadaccidents, most of the time this fact supported by a video on youtube.
Unless you are looking for a quick way to die, better not use a motorbike is the advice from some thai friends

Edited by tonboy

26 minutes ago, just.a.thought said:

Just asking.......do they require a drives license for motorbike before they will let you rent one. I know it's the law,but do they?

yes, according to the law they need, and I wonder if an accident happens, insurance companies will pay anything ones they see the driver has not a valid license.
If you are checked by police or military and you do not have your driverslicence for a bike or you claim you have it at home, you will get a fine of something like 400 baht. 

What really should happen is that if you can show a (valid) driverslicense, the motorbike should be seized by them. Untill you can prove you have a valid license. On top of this, in the case you are driving a rented bike and do not have a valid license, the motorbike should be confiscated by the police/military. Because every renting company should know the driver needs a valid license to rent. No license, no insurance, no bike. 

7 minutes ago, tonboy said:

yes, according to the law they need, and I wonder if an accident happens, insurance companies will pay anything ones they see the driver has not a valid license.
If you are checked by police or military and you do not have your driverslicence for a bike or you claim you have it at home, you will get a fine of something like 400 baht. 

What really should happen is that if you can show a (valid) driverslicense, the motorbike should be seized by them. Untill you can prove you have a valid license. On top of this, in the case you are driving a rented bike and do not have a valid license, the motorbike should be confiscated by the police/military. Because every renting company should know the driver needs a valid license to rent. No license, no insurance, no bike. 

but do the rental companies rent out bikes without checking the drivers license?

Edited by just.a.thought

2 hours ago, steveyinasia said:

Part of the problem is that the greedy rental places will rent of scooter to anyone, even those who obviously have no idea what they are doing.  In Chiang Mai I have to be extra careful driving around the city area with clueless Chinese tourists on scooters. I had one who thought she would apply the brakes like Fred Flintstone, both feet planted firmly on the road.

Why would they care? They have the passport, so no way the renter can escape without paying up.

Do the idiots that rent m'bikes without ever riding a m'bike before realise that without a valid m'bike licence, they won't get insurance?

Having said that, this guy was wearing a helmet, unlike most of the sheeple on the islands that don't.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

"He noted that the foreigner in this case was clearly incompetent and unable to ride a motorbike properly." And he was probably sober! That is a worry if he should get drunk or drugged. :post-4641-1156693976:

Brain fade going somewhere to happen. Som nam naa farang.

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

guy is an idiot for renting a bike without being competent in riding one. the motor bike shop is stupid for not testing his riding ability before renting the bike to him. lucky the cops were not involved.

He had all the competence the bike shop needed, a credit card!

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Why not 2 year's jail and a caning? :sleepy:

Or chop his hands off and put him in the stocks! :smile:

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the 'mai pang' motorbikes on the north end of jomtien beach gets anyone renting a bike to ride to the end of the dead end street and back. it is enough for the lady owner to see if the rider is ok to rent. 

When I used to visit Pattaya I always rented from Mai Pang. Always a pleasure to do business with her and her family. A friend had an accident on his bike (he was carrying a pillion passenger who sustained a nasty leg injury needing hospital treatment) and she sorted it all out. 

Looking back and reading threads such as this one I have to ask myself why I ever rented a motorbike. Reason is probably a common one, I never thought it would happen to me. Yes, I was reasonably experienced as a motorcyclist holding a UK licence, but that doesn't really prepare you for riding in Thailand! I gave up riding a motorbike in the UK many years ago and am very rusty, so if on my next visit to Thailand would I hire one again? (the 100 or 125 cc variety): yes I probably would! Crazy really... but it's such a lovely feeling riding one dressed only in sandals and shorts (plus a 'hired' helmet) with the sun and warm wind in your face. Temptation overrides caution and common sense very often. It's not just riding a small motorbike either, think of all the other things tourists do that they don't do back home... most seemingly perfectly safe, but there are often hazards lurking beneath the surface.

5 hours ago, steveyinasia said:

Part of the problem is that the greedy rental places will rent of scooter to anyone, even those who obviously have no idea what they are doing.  In Chiang Mai I have to be extra careful driving around the city area with clueless Chinese tourists on scooters. I had one who thought she would apply the brakes like Fred Flintstone, both feet planted firmly on the road.

I have had adventure seekers in shorts and flip-flops and a clearly recognizable rental-shop-helmet on the bike riding on the line, wrong direction U and regular turns, turning without signal, not looking at all, let alone into a mirror, slowing down to talk with their friends on and with other motorbikes, using yellow light as a pass if you can signal, stopping on the middle of the road cause something urgent on the phone, likely directions, doing 40 cause it is so scary but driving on the correct i.e. right side of the superhighway and despite being prompted by many Thai drivers refusing to drive on the left, and many more interesting events in front of me where braking was needed, but I missed Wilma and Fred ..... would have been quite a sight.  

But then again, good that I did not see that, I might have died in a fit of laughter.

3 hours ago, tonboy said:

"What really should happen is that if you can show a (valid) driverslicense, the motorbike should be seized by them."

Not being pedantic, but don't you mean can't?

While there was plenty of room in front of and behind that car for a U turn, he did exactly the wrong thing. HIs action was compounded by his complete failure to judge distance and in knowing how to operate the bike.

Clown!

8 minutes ago, todlad said:

While there was plenty of room in front of and behind that car for a U turn, he did exactly the wrong thing. HIs action was compounded by his complete failure to judge distance and in knowing how to operate the bike.

Clown!

Looks like he tried to do what my "instructor" told me never to do - tried to "gun it"/set off in first gear!.

Why on earth do these numbnuts continually rent bikes to tourists who are incompetent and don't have a motorcycle licence?  Isn't it an offence for the owner of a motor vehicle/cycle to allow an unlicensed person to drive/use it?  It is in Australia, the owner can also be liable for damages caused by the rider if he knowingly allows the person to drive/ride.  That is why you can never rent without a valid, current licence.

4 hours ago, tonboy said:

Still that looks the best you could have done with the bike, sell it. 

My thia wife doesn't even let me buy a bike.

Daily I see (from behind my steering wheel in my car) these crazy behaviors of motorcyclists, not only driven by Thai and tourists, but also by mostly older expats with his young wife/girlfriend on the back.
You recognize them because they drive slow and insecure... 
From time to time you read about expats on motorbikes being killed in terrible roadaccidents, most of the time this fact supported by a video on youtube.
Unless you are looking for a quick way to die, better not use a motorbike is the advice from some thai friends

Depends how you drive.. been driving bikes in Thailand for the last 8 years.. never a problem. Just don't imitate the Thais. I drive a car too, a motorbike is far better to get around IMHO

'Kheen told Sanook that rental shops should check that tourists have licenses and can ride and control the vehicles they rent.'

Don't be ridiculous. We're in Thailand, where the vast majority of motorcyclists are morons when in the saddle, where it's questionable whether a number even possess a licence, and where too many drive underage. 

8 hours ago, catman20 said:

som nam na farang

Hit & run - then catched - all in all an expensive and unforgetable vacation experience ...;)

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

one of the worst motorbike riders you are likely to see.

so i wouldnt call him 'incompetent' (well, ok, maybe) but i Would call him stupid;

he goes to a very different country and somehow imagines he can do this, which looks like this is his first time...

Edited by YetAnother

I traveled all over Thailand on a motorcycle.

I often do a visa run Phuket Ranong on my motorbike.
I was even in a month trip on a motorbike phuket - siem reap-phuket .. with my girlfriend and 3 year old son.

Everything is for people ... motorbike in thailand too .. just be careful