No tourists just filthy sea, dead fish and rubbish - so beach traders call it a day

webfact

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Thai beaches and waterways are truly disgusting and heavily polluted.  Tourists should definitely be warned about going into the seas and check their travel insurance policies for swimming in a sewage treatment plant as the photo shows the marine life don't like human excrement.

You are talking about Pattaya. There are plenty of beautiful unspoilt beaches in Thailand with clean water and nice people living there.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, habanero said:

Here's an idea..........Why don't they just clean it up?   

I know, stupid right?

Clean the Gulf of Thailand? That's not gonna happen overnight sonny. A couple plastic bags ain't gonna do a thing if that's what you were thinking. 

6 hours ago, soihok said:

Dave.

There are some nice beaches with clean sea further south along the coast. My family were there a few weeks ago. It means you will have to hire a car though.

If you want more info, PM me.

Cheers 

Dave,

Good luck finding nice beaches with clean sea south of Jomtien/Pattaya. Just 2 months ago, we gave up on the cesspit of Jomtien/Pattaya, hired a car and headed south in the hope of finding clean beaches and sea. All we found was a lack of farangs  - which was great! However, the brown, polluted sea water and abundant, disgusting beach debris and dead fish was just as bad from whence we had come... and will never return.

Suggest google search "beach debris south of Jomtien/Pattaya" for more first-hand reviews and photos such as this:

...if you want to make a small escape from Bangkok. Before we were a few hours in Pattaya but we found this a horrible place. This whole coast has brown sea water and a lot of industry.
On the island of Koh Samet we were horrified to see the debris in the sea, drifting on the beach. We saw faeces in the water and on the beach of our hotel, probably coming from the fishing boats further in the water. Our impression is that there is no sewage system on the island, next to our hotel we could see very dirty 'water' going directly into the sea. We did not swim anymore, brrrrrrrr!

They should get the some beach groomers like i saw in Spain. They run up and down the beach and clean it and groom the sand. Also why don't the have proper waste treatment instead of letting it flow into the sea.

Better to invest in that instead of military things they don't really need. Someone needs to get their priorities straight if expect more tourist

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Thai beaches and waterways are truly disgusting and heavily polluted.  Tourists should definitely be warned about going into the seas and check their travel insurance policies for swimming in a sewage treatment plant as the photo shows the marine life don't like human excrement.

With over 8500 posts in only a year and a half of joining, how do you or did you ever find the time to even go to the beach more than once or twice at best. Water ways in most areas are a given and pretty disgusting.  

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The last time I swam in Jomtien was 2006 I think.  It seemed OK at the time.  Boy it has gone downhill and it is such a naturally pretty place.  Of course it can't handle the sewage, restaurant waste water, etc.  What a shame.  It was so fun to stay in Pattaya, hop down to Jomtien to swim.  Jomtien beach was relatively quiet.

I was at Jomtien in 1985, a really nice (wide) beach then, as it still is.

Not sure how much of the sand of Pattaya Beach has been eroded over the years, but there ain't much of it when the tide's in!

Meanwhile, an hour's flight south at Samila Beach in Songkhla.  There's no tourists, but here's what it looks like the day after a storm (that's why the water's not its normal emerald green)

Sorry, shameless plug, but I love the place.  And the natives, who are predominately Muslim.  They have been as friendly to me as the travel brochures would have you believe (with the exception of some dodgy fishing boat crews and some soi dogs).

SKL Beach Cleaner 2.jpg

21 minutes ago, darren84310 said:

North Pattaya much better..... Wongamat Beach is nice.

Yeah, but not so far more up is "Lame" Chabang and in those areas pollute into the water with chemicals etc. These at certain times of the day will wash up onto the North side of Ko Lan probably also being spilled from Ko Sichang's oil and chemicals, and if tide and current is right, then all down the way into Pattaya areas.. More South down yonder of Pattaya is Mapthaput. Yuck.

Just get the ferry ( every 30 min ) over to Koh Larn , 5 lovely beaches .. 

i live on PRATUMNAK , cosy beach is ok  ( or coztski) as I call it , 98% Russian , which are fine . 

But yes , pattaya Beach , god knows why they don't do something, because the actual town/ city .. is as busy as ever , and they are still knocking up condos left right and centre . 

4 minutes ago, Howiehotspur said:

Just get the ferry ( every 30 min ) over to Koh Larn , 5 lovely beaches .. 

i live on PRATUMNAK , cosy beach is ok  ( or coztski) as I call it , 98% Russian , which are fine . 

But yes , pattaya Beach , god knows why they don't do something, because the actual town/ city .. is as busy as ever , and they are still knocking up condos left right and centre . 

You must be kidding. Cesspool as in too much garbage, too many tourists, and certain times of the day in the North side beach chemicals and gas smell wash in. Yuck. Never again.

52 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Dave,

Good luck finding nice beaches with clean sea south of Jomtien/Pattaya. Just 2 months ago, we gave up on the cesspit of Jomtien/Pattaya, hired a car and headed south in the hope of finding clean beaches and sea. All we found was a lack of farangs  - which was great! However, the brown, polluted sea water and abundant, disgusting beach debris and dead fish was just as bad from whence we had come... and will never return.

Suggest google search "beach debris south of Jomtien/Pattaya" for more first-hand reviews and photos such as this:

...if you want to make a small escape from Bangkok. Before we were a few hours in Pattaya but we found this a horrible place. This whole coast has brown sea water and a lot of industry.
On the island of Koh Samet we were horrified to see the debris in the sea, drifting on the beach. We saw faeces in the water and on the beach of our hotel, probably coming from the fishing boats further in the water. Our impression is that there is no sewage system on the island, next to our hotel we could see very dirty 'water' going directly into the sea. We did not swim anymore, brrrrrrrr!

Better you look better Greg.

These photos were taken on Clear Water Beach, south of Sattahip a few weeks ago.

Clean and not busy.

FB_IMG_1500099734341.jpg.6dcb943b6657326411a8139bec7fa962.jpg

FB_IMG_1500099727615.jpg.47226e80049159b4f55edf5bbb2d37ff.jpg

FB_IMG_1500099730889.jpg.01a55a470a7c9913994c021fcab28312.jpg

FB_IMG_1500099640088.jpg.d8de956dab0319278b2d66040e7aa28c.jpg

Yes, pattaya is a world class something....perhaps as in garbage dump!

Whoever runs that overgrown village turned whore house has done a magnificent job of destroying it. Urban planning thai style. Outstanding, congratulations Pattaya!

8 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Nightmare I'm staying in Jomtien with my family over Christmas and new year

I stayed there last year over new year and it didn't seem that dirty or empty.  We stayed at the Royal Heritage Pavilion  behind the Royal Thai Pavilion between Chom ThIan Alley 15 and 16. I went on the beach with my wife at midnight and it was quite then.  Most of the action seemed further away on either side. 

We did try to go for a walk along the beach during the day but if the tide is in you have to walk in the sea as there's so many umbrellas right up to the water.  It seemed clean enough but it's not really something I'd go to much trouble doing again.  

I hope you have a good time,  it's not that bad and there are other things to do away from the beach.

1 hour ago, darren84310 said:

North Pattaya much better..... Wongamat Beach is nice.

I've been to Wongamart  beach a few times , wasn't great when I was there but many condos and hotels have been built in that area since. So they may be taking care of it now

4 hours ago, masuk said:

I presume that the junk, crap, used condoms and pulverised toilet paper in the water at Jom Tien last year, drifted around from Pattaya beach.

Apart from being disgusted at the filth, I also ended up with a skin infection which the dermatologist said was infected hair follicles.  Never, ever happened before.

I'll stay at a place with a pool next trip.

Pools aren't off limits when it comes to contracting water borne sickness and infection .. Proceed with caution dude .. 

what you are seeing is the result of prolific corruption and greed culminating over the last 25 years, places like pattaya have some people very rich indeed and the money that should have been spent on upkeep infrastructure and improvements went straight into pockets

I guess we have some nasty and evil tourist that somewhere in Thailand throw their garbage in the water now. Sadly it had to float up in Jomtien.
We need to establish some basic rules here! As a tourist you must take responsibilty for your garbage. Bring it home and throw it in your own country!

8 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Pools aren't off limits when it comes to contracting water borne sickness and infection .. Proceed with caution dude .. 

in the west water in pools and beaches are tested and if they don't meet a certain standard they are closed "not fit for bathing"

Thailand claims to be a world class holiday destination lol - I guess they can claim whatever they want 

Edited by smedly

56 minutes ago, soihok said:

These photos were taken on Clear Water Beach, south of Sattahip a few weeks ago.

Clean and not busy.

Are you really sure that Sattahip has a clean sea????

Try doing a quick search of "images Sattahip beach debris"...

Screenshot (27).png

sattahip.jpg

10 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Well done finding that.  Looks really clean. 

1 hour ago, soihok said:

Clean and not busy.

FB_IMG_1500099734341.jpg.6dcb943b6657326411a8139bec7fa962.jpg

FB_IMG_1500099727615.jpg.47226e80049159b4f55edf5bbb2d37ff.jpg

FB_IMG_1500099730889.jpg.01a55a470a7c9913994c021fcab28312.jpg

FB_IMG_1500099640088.jpg.d8de956dab0319278b2d66040e7aa28c.jpg

I'll definitely be having a look at that cheers