Pattaya's 'dolphin roundabout' to be renovated, rumours of new Jomtien Beach Rd parking restrictions

Jonathan Fairfield

Pattaya's 'dolphin roundabout' to be renovated, rumours of new Jomtien Beach Rd parking restrictions

Spotted this on social media:

20431237_1579440718767510_3938350733371356455_n.png

Image: Pattaya Watchdog

Also posted to a number of Pattaya Facebook groups were claims that police on Tuesday were giving tickets to cars parked "in the wrong direction" on Jomtien Beach Road.

1.jpg2.jpg

Photo: Rick Van

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The best way to keep traffic moving would be to make a better/improved roundabout.

A traffic light intersection will create a massive backup and jam.

Sadly, roundabouts aren't understood here.  They never work.  Heck, even lights are ignored at times! LOL

31 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

on the picture ,i can see that the way to the beach is closed for cars  coming from Nord Pat .Rd ????

Only Naclua Rd and 2nd Rd can corner in it ?

Not so. The one-way down to Beach is on the upper-left side of the sign so Second (bottom left), Nua (lower right) and Naklua (top right) roads can all enter. The roads you see going off to the top left of the picture are the Dusit entrance and Naklua Soi 24.

Edited by NanLaew

18 minutes ago, DekDaeng said:

Did they ever try running it AS A ROUNDABOUT?

Yes they did. It was changed to its current format after a fatal accident involving a lady on a motorbike and a concrete mixer lorry.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The best way to keep traffic moving would be to make a better/improved roundabout.

The best way to keep traffic moving would be for the drivers to use the roundabout properly, but as they seem incapable of that it makes sense to put lights in.

Then only problem appears to be they don't have lights at the pedestrian crossing so will have to install them in a couple of years time.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I remember that incident being only a couple of years ago but the roundabout has been there a lot longer.

You used to be able to go all the way round the roundabout; now traffic coming from Naklua has to turn left up Nua and do a U turn to get back to the beach.

It seems to difficult to understand that circles do not work in Thailand because people are too stupid to understand them ?

In a civilised country where people understand and generally follow the rules, you'd be right. 

Here? Forget it. 

3 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

It seems to difficult to understand that circles do not work in Thailand because people are too stupid to understand them ?

Not at all difficult to understand if you've stayed in Thailand for more than a few hours.

A good friend of mine visited here for the first time and I was explaining to him how most Thais replace the R sound with an L sound because they have trouble pronouncing the R. He laughed at me and said "I don't believe you - surely they are able to speak their own language?"  

It took him just under 24 hours to see the light. 

This intersection looks more complicated than the roundabout. Not sure people will be able to guess which light to look at and which way to turn. Also motorcycles trying to guess the lights may guess wrong more often.

Given the disregard for lights and zebra crossings, not sure how safe this will be for pedestrians.

3 hours ago, champers said:

The Dolphin Circus roundabout renovations are in readiness for the opening of the new Terminal 21 mall. Will the roundabout be finished before the mall? Will it be a success? Time will tell.

I will tell. The answer is NO.

Education of how to use a roundabout would be the best/cheapest solution, all Thai drivers think they are Michael Schumacher in a straight line, me first, me first, me first, but come to a bend, roundabout or set of traffic lights it is like it is a complete terrifying experience to them , no clue ho to proceed!!!

I cant believe ignorance of how to negotiate a simple roundabout has made the local authority come up with this gem.....unless of course somebodys family is producing traffic lights or white road paint....ah yes, there it is!!

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

No problem.  In Udon, when it's busy, they just turn the lights off.  Now that's what I call a "backup and jam"!!

7 hours ago, newnative said:

When I read the headline 'Jomtien Beach Road parking restrictions' I thought they were finally wisely banning all parking on the very narrow part of Beach Road at the southern end.  Alas, no such luck. 

And I thought maybe they were going to finally crack down on the miscreants parking on Beach Rd and blowing their obnoxious, loud "music" at all hours of the day and night.

Edited by LALes
added a phrase

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have seen Traffic Lights in Roundabouts in three different countries if Africa  -  was a good move because most of the accidents happened in the roundabouts..........confusion on who goes first.

Maybe the answer here as well.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The best way to keep traffic moving would be for the drivers to use the roundabout properly, but as they seem incapable of that it makes sense to put lights in.

Then only problem appears to be they don't have lights at the pedestrian crossing so will have to install them in a couple of years time.

You are really asking for entirely too much.............they can't even stay in their lanes on a straight highway, how n hell are we to expect them to use the roundabouts correctly  -  who has right of way, those entering, or those already in the roundabouts.............no one gives way.

5 hours ago, JayBird said:

This intersection looks more complicated than the roundabout. Not sure people will be able to guess which light to look at and which way to turn. Also motorcycles trying to guess the lights may guess wrong more often.

Given the disregard for lights and zebra crossings, not sure how safe this will be for pedestrians.

Moorbikes running lights are fair game...........

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I disagree 100%. Traffic lights have been needed there for years.

I hope they will put in light controlled pedestrian crossings but I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope they will put in light controlled pedestrian crossings but I'm not holding my breath.

There is already a controlled crossing at the bottom of Naklua Road and it is generally successful, probably because it is in sight of the police box. One on Nua and 2nd Road would be handy. Sometimes a traffic cop stops the traffic on 2nd Road, c/w full whistle and arm waving, so people can cross. 

Roundabouts don't work well here, they depend on some some  drivers giving way and not entering when traffic is on the circle, it won't happen as too may believe those on the circle should give way to their left. Most seem to just push ahead with their own interests foremost. Of course this is not a complete roundabout as you are forced left from Naklua Rd... this came about after an unfortunate accident where some girls on a bike were killed by a truck. 

With the simplistic way traffic lights work here, (one direction at a time) it will be a bit of a wait.... and the construction will be a nightmare.

Tickets for facing the wrong way, I would address illegal parking first, of which there is plenty. In the middle of the road while attacking another driver with a machete should get a ticket!

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Things seem to slow but generally move much better then a traffic light there.  I have never seen a need " for years" for lights. But some are incompetent on how to transverse a roundabout.

Lighted ped crossing is a terrible idea and will create huge back ups and more accidents there. Overhead walkways would work much better.

Edited by bkk6060

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used the ped crossing a year ago outside city hall on North Pattaya road.  Almost got run over by a minivan.  Ran right through the red light, horn honking at me to get out of the say.