The wait is over - Pattaya road tunnel set to open August 25th

webfact

1 hour ago, balo said:

When will we have the first crash inside the tunnell ? Probably the day after opening.

Don't rule out the opening day given some drivers / riders have trouble keeping their eyes on the road at the best of times so you can imagine the difficulty they'll have concentrating whilst gazing in wonderment at this concrete statement of Thai's greatness especially when the ubiquitous portraits are draped over either end .. Personally i'll give it a miss until the novelty of it for them wears off .. Or it floods .. 

32 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

As an ex fully qualified civil engineer, I see no need for anyone to "run" the underpass, and any accumulated water should easily be directed to an automatic sump pump which would discharge to a drain on Pattaya Klang whenever needed. The biggest problem I have observed here is above ground, and there is some miscalculation regarding the positioning of the traffic islands. If one is heading south one of the lanes just stops dead, quite unexpectedly, so rude ! The above ground configuration needs some adjustment :)

I've just returned to the area and wondered at the southbound lane setup. When the lights on Suk are red at Klang for southbound traffic, I can imagine long tailbacks blocking those exiting Soi SSCC and the Numchai driveway because there are only two southbound lanes. Never mind cars trying to get over to the Klang right turn. It will be extraordinarily difficult if not impossible because of the density of traffic and the cheaters trying to edge over from the right-turn lanes into the southbound lanes. Sounds like a, well, you know . . .

3 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I've just returned to the area and wondered at the southbound lane setup. When the lights on Suk are red at Klang for southbound traffic, I can imagine long tailbacks blocking those exiting Soi SSCC and the Numchai driveway because there are only two southbound lanes. Never mind cars trying to get over to the Klang right turn. It will be extraordinarily difficult if not impossible because of the density of traffic and the cheaters trying to edge over from the right-turn lanes into the southbound lanes. Sounds like a, well, you know . . .

So just like it was before the tunnel was started then !!

How ever in theory those that are not turning right into klang will use the tunnel thus easing congestion at the lights but most likely the Thai's won't use the tunnel as they will think it is dark and turning on their headlights wastes electricity...............

was going to open April....then MAY ...then August 1st now the 25th what can we believe.....also initial reports said cost was 800 million .....then it went 837 million ....now it is quoted at 840 million........................again WHAT CAN/ SHOULD WE BELIEVE IN THESE REPORTS??? it was also quoted that security guards were to be used QUESTION is WHY???

Edited by garbolino
extra thought

14 minutes ago, garbolino said:

was going to open April....then MAY ...then August 1st now the 25th what can we believe.....also initial reports said cost was 800 million .....then it went 837 million ....now it is quoted at 840 million........................again WHAT CAN/ SHOULD WE BELIEVE IN THESE REPORTS??? it was also quoted that security guards were to be used QUESTION is WHY???

In the entire history of Thailand has there ever been a single project that was completed on time, within budget and without problems? I seriously doubt it. 

4 hours ago, garbolino said:

Dont hold you're breath about the opening date there's still plenty to go wrong .. And incurred delays already are part of the culture here so the fact its only 4 mths overdue aint too bad by the standards of the place and what's another 30 / 40 bt million overspend .. You have to remember on projects of this size an awful lot of envelopes have to be passed around .. But they won't be getting it all their own way when the H S T's eventually come here .. The Chinese who will part finance and build the things are cute when it comes to these matters and will keep alot of the work and procurement in house so a lot of the corruption will be kept in-house also .. The Thai's'll get dribs and drabs but nothing compared to the size of the projects .. :ph34r:

9 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

The same line of reasoning would almost make us conclude that the average TV poster is a bored alcoholic of anglosaxon descent. Generalizations suck badly...

With hundreds of pages of Sin Sot, Road Carnage, Red-v-Yellow, Bum Gun, and "Dear Abbie" topics to choose from - how could the average TV poster possibly be "bored"?

7 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

This is great news , it will open soon,  a fantastic engineering achievement

well done boys  :thumbsup:

Pattaya is now ready for Thailand's  first Nuclear power station to be built. :smile:

yep.  And it will use the waste water from the new 4 billion liter per day capacity wastewater treatment plant in the cooling towers.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If it is 'finally done', why not open it tomorrow. Do we really need to suffer the traffic mess for another 3 weeks for no reason whatsoever!

Testing Testing .. And dignitaries have to be booked .. They gotta big this one up given its cost and delay so expect a show before it floods 'erm opens .. 

On 8/3/2017 at 11:31 AM, mikebell said:

3 years and 840 million and for what?  To make the traffic flow faster?  It will all be undone when cops tinker with the traffic lights to allow vendors to peddle their wares in return for a share of the profits.

Look at the lights outside the cop shop just before The Ambassador.  It is not unusual to see three hundred vehicles queuing on Suk whilst four bikes and a donkey cross.  + It's convenient to rob road users.

It will simply meet bottlenecked traffic at the entry and exit points.  What a huge waste of money could have fixed Pattaya's interior roads and more.  But alas probably good for the local Benz dealer:)

5 hours ago, losworld said:

It will simply meet bottlenecked traffic at the entry and exit points.  What a huge waste of money could have fixed Pattaya's interior roads and more.  But alas probably good for the local Benz dealer:)

And ( real ) Rolex sales .. 

On 03/08/2017 at 0:00 PM, garbolino said:

Garb are we still going with that 25th date .. I've even left my day open for this monumentous event .. :smile:

19 minutes ago, garbolino said:

so your going to go watch the GREAT OPENING of the hole??

Well that was the plan ( if it wasn't raining or flooded ) you know immerse yourself in the occasion join the locals in celebration of this wonderous achievement all that sort of thing .. Now I'm told it may not open on the 25th but no one knows for sure because the spokesperson aint saying nowt .. Not very professional that its just the sort of thing that can give Thailand a poor reputation ..  :saai:

2 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Well that was the plan ( if it wasn't raining or flooded ) you know immerse yourself in the occasion join the locals in celebration of this wonderous achievement all that sort of thing .. Now I'm told it may not open on the 25th but no one knows for sure because the spokesperson aint saying nowt .. Not very professional that its just the sort of thing that can give Thailand a poor reputation ..  :saai:

yeah I was thinking of going to the celebrations.....no doubt monks will be in abundance to enhance the opening

1 hour ago, NormanW said:

I was going to speed through on my bike to see how they'd stop bikes going through both sides ?

BIB standing in the middle of the road???

Putting wheelie bits in the way and throwing anything that comes to hand .? as they have been known to do to stop the boys having a race on their bikes .. Honestly its only kids being kids ..