Ford Ranger 3.2 new battery

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

We were in Udon at the time. They appear to be better than the few that always get moaned about.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Udon's where I bought both my trucks and they are pretty good, especially the electrical tech. The workshop manager spat the dummy once when I came back for the second time in a week to get the BCM reset after I was faffing about with LED lighting but the tech was cool with it and showed me how the software works. I have since got Forscan software and an OBD2 dongle and do my own massaging of the system.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

No, I didnt miss it at all. You said that batteries on that particular vehicle are likely to fail sooner rather than later. I say that I would not care as regardless of when they are likely to fail I would not replace them until they do fail (or at least until they start showing real signs of failing, which is what I did with my own battery).

So if you knew that you had a dodgy battery that was prone to spontaneous and unpredictable flatness, you wouldn't change it until it actually died? OK.

Don't ever change. B Quik depends on ya'll.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

So if you knew that you had a dodgy battery that was prone to spontaneous and unpredictable flatness, you wouldn't change it until it actually died? OK.

Don't ever change. B Quik depends on ya'll.

Which part of "at least until they start showing real signs of failing" don't you understand?

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Which part of "at least until they start showing real signs of failing" don't you understand?

Which part of "spontaneous and unpredictable flatness" aka as suddenly dead without any advance warning is too tough a construct for you?

Or does that not come under your 'real signs of failing' classification?

When you notice you have a slow puncture, do you top it up with every few days until it deflates faster than you can find a working gas station forecourt air hose and you have to call roadside assist because you might break a nail, or do you in the first instance, nip along smartly to B Quik and get it fixed proper?

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Which part of "spontaneous and unpredictable flatness" aka as suddenly dead without any advance warning is too tough a construct for you?

Such a battery is presumably dead and needs replacing, which is one of the two cases in which I would change the battery as I very clearly described. At the very least I would get it (and my alternator) checked.

Just to recapitulate, in case you still haven't got it, I replace batteries when they are dead or when they are showing signs of imminent failure. I dont replace them just because they are two years old.

You can do what you like.

When you notice you have a slow puncture, do you top it up with every few days until it deflates faster than you can find a working gas station forecourt air hose and you have to call roadside assist because you might break a nail, or do you in the first instance, nip along smartly to B Quik and get it fixed proper?

A good example of something that is showing clear signs of imminent failure. I have already explained three times what I would do in such cases. Do you need a fourth explanation?

18 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Such a battery is presumably dead and needs replacing, which is one of the two cases in which I would change the battery as I very clearly described. At the very least I would get it (and my alternator) checked.

Just to recapitulate, in case you still haven't got it, I replace batteries when they are dead or when they are showing signs of imminent failure. I dont replace them just because they are two years old.

You can do what you like.

A good example of something that is showing clear signs of imminent failure. I have already explained three times what I would do in such cases. Do you need a fourth explanation?

No, no need. Despite the earlier obfuscation, your sudden capitulation indicates to me that you were familiar with the concept of being proactive all along. 

No, no need. Despite the earlier obfuscation, your sudden capitulation indicates to me that you were familiar with the concept of being proactive all along. 

There is nothing sudden or capitulative about anything I have written. I have merely repeated the same explanation several times in the hope that eventually you would understand it. Other people seem to have grasped it long before you did.

I suggest you go back to the beginning of the topic and try again.

46 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

There is nothing sudden or capitulative about anything I have written. I have merely repeated the same explanation several times in the hope that eventually you would understand it. Other people seem to have grasped it long before you did.

If you say so.

On 06/08/2017 at 2:56 PM, colinchaffers said:

My 2 year old Ford Ranger battery is coming up for replacement, and I was wondering if anyone knows the best brand for its replacement? if I leave it to Ford they will probably sell me someth

I have a 4 year old Ford Ranger 3.2L with no problems with the battery.

I do charge it with a proper deep cycle charger CTEK from Australia about once a year or if its been sitting when I come back from work.

I don't understand why your battery is coming up for replacement, Who told you that and how did they come to that conclusion

A battery works untill it doesn't, kind of like saying your headlights are up for replacement

The only reason I can think of with battery problems is that the vehicle doesn't get driven far enough to keep the battery fully charged. A fully charged battery will last much longer than a battery that is not fully charged. Those people who only take short trips would likely save their batteries with a cheap trickle charger for when the vehicle is parked. I have NEVER had a battery here in Thailand lasted less than five years, usually even longer. I'm talking about the tractor, car and truck. The Ford focus battery lasted six years.

17 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The only reason I can think of with battery problems is that the vehicle doesn't get driven far enough to keep the battery fully charged. A fully charged battery will last much longer than a battery that is not fully charged. Those people who only take short trips would likely save their batteries with a cheap trickle charger for when the vehicle is parked. I have NEVER had a battery here in Thailand lasted less than five years, usually even longer. I'm talking about the tractor, car and truck. The Ford focus battery lasted six years.

Not really the driven part but use of air-con and large amp speakers blaring out,  flashing lights,  after-market alarm systems. all take their toll on and battery,  poorly serviced vehicle with starting problems also volt drainage due to neglect. 

As soon as you start your ride there is a voltage regulator/rectifier in the alternator that maintains a 14V charge on the battery.

If the battery is discharged the battery charge rate is high initially and then slows to a 1-2 amps once the battery is fully charged.

If your not using other things as mentioned 5 - 8 mins ride will take care of a battery in good condition,  longer of course if the battery is older.

Don't know why a new battery thread gets into a slagging match with some err.

Archived