Police prohibited from bar connections

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Police officers are prohibited from being involved either directly or indirectly in alcohol and night-entertainment businesses, police deputy spokesman Krisana Pattanacharoen confirmed on Monday.

So Pattaya, Soi Cowboy and Nana are on the death row now?

It shouldn't matter if a police officer owns or part owns a bar / entertainment business.

If they actually did their job and got rid of low level corruption it would not matter at all.

What's next ? Banning share ownership in certain publicly traded companies ?

RE - Police prohibited from bar connections

If this law will be enforced similar to other laws in Thailand then the distance between every police (station/bar) will be shorter than between every 7-eleven...;)

4 hours ago, BasalBanality said:

At least they acknowledged police involvement and influence as well as the plausibility of punishment if convicted. 

Better late than never.

And pigs may fly what a load of sh_ te

the new Rage is "party -houses" 

Almost broke farangs with huge houses for sale for years,

rent out their house with swimmingpool to "hordes " of Thai people ,

in a party-house they have complete privacy and can drink and smoke and.....

After 2 days they go back home completely exhausted and happy.

Not so happy are the neighbors , witch have  sleepless  nights due to the mega bass sounds on the party.

But useless to complain , police is perfectly taken care off.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

I think you may find that the army have stepped up to the plate and are proactively assuming the role formerly performed by the police in " managing" relationships with many bars...

If I were to decode your comments then you mean the army will in future be collecting the monthly "insurance' premiums and other miscellaneous money grubbing schemes? 

I don't think the army have the expertise to organise collections, competently manage a distribution list and see the money gets back to those who count. Won't happen. 

4 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Would expect to see a large number of bars transferring shares and/or involvement to police  wives and mia nois in the coming couple of weeks.

(Maybe even to maids or drivers as well)

Prohibited "directly or indirectly".

4 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

I never saw a bar in Jomtien with chandeliers.....

That's not surprising, as chandeliers cost a lot of money. Judging by the fact that there are no visible farangs in the picture, and the appearance of the customers, I'd guess that this nightclub / bar is in an upmarket Thai area where the customers go to engage in consensual text and SMS.

47 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

If I were to decode your comments then you mean the army will in future be collecting the monthly "insurance' premiums and other miscellaneous money grubbing schemes? 

I don't think the army have the expertise to organise collections, competently manage a distribution list and see the money gets back to those who count. Won't happen. 

I can assure you, that at least in Bangkok this has been going on since 1 month after the removal of the previous government.

I can assure you that 1 month after the takeover, those little beer carts in Sukhumvit had their "rental" of the sidewalk go from 3,000 baht to 5,000 baht in a month. This was prior to the "bad boys out, tour busses in" policy the current government has taken a liking to, which has ruined (IMO) Bangkok nightlife.

People I know that work in night entertainment are  earning considerably less than they used to, customers are spending less because doors close earlier and prices have gone up too ensure any brown baht fat ones stay thicker than Kim Kardashian.

I am also aware of rumours that although the Police run the show still in Pattaya, they only exert so much influence, as once the Army is in town it takes more paper in envelopes to keep places open than even the most cashed up establishments earn to stay open. I believe only 2 WS clubs would qualify and 2 bars that woukd "meet the mark set" that I know of.

I am not suggesting this is sanctioned activity, but at some level allegedly takes place.

As another poster mentioned, if Police had a different reputation things may be different - however I believe this is a power play to squeeze the head of the fish and see what comes out from the other end.

Sad times for all those who love the nightlife here in Thailand.

Edited by TheGhostWithin
My spellchecker went crazy on the first post, manual tweaks to retarded dictionary autocorrects.

7 minutes ago, TheGhostWithin said:

I can assure you, that at least in Bangkok this has been going on since 1 month after the removal of the previous government.

I can assure you that 1 month after the takeover, those little beer carts in Sukhumvit had their "rental" of the sidewalk go from 3,000 baht to 5,000 baht in a month. This was prior to the "bad boys out, tour busses in" policy the current government has taken a liking to, which has ruined (IMO) Bangkok nightlife.

People I know that work in night entertainment are  earning considerably less than they used to, customers are spending less because doors close earlier and prices have gone up too ensure any brown baht fat ones stay thicker than Kim Kardashian.

I am also aware of rumours that although the Police run the show still in Pattaya, they only exert so much influence, as once the Army is in town it takes more paper in envelopes to keep places open than even the most cashed up establishments earn to stay open. I believe only 2 WS clubs would qualify and 2 bars that woukd "meet the mark set" that I know of.

I am not suggesting this is sanctioned activity, but at some level allegedly takes place.

As another poster mentioned, if Police had a different reputation things may be different - however I believe this is a power play to squeeze the head of the fish and see what comes out from the other end.

Sad times for all those who love the nightlife here in Thailand.

I don't doubt you. I was tongue in cheek before but Prayut and the army are now in full control and have cranked up the system to take the money away from the RTP and put it in the pockets of the RTM. New military distribution lists will be organised. The RTP will be pi**ed off and the boys will be some explaining to do at home when the income dries up. Army officers will be rubbing their hands.

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

This is a very good move and a constructive commencement from the current Thai government.

Wonder nevertheless, how and if, the law will be enforced?

And for the cops currently involved in such business ventures,  what steps will be taken?

good question!!! on our island and Phuket, they are either major investors or silent partners in many bars,                              and many they aren't involved with, they collect monthly or seasonal envelopes from bars holding parties and/or selling drugs

6 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Would expect to see a large number of bars transferring shares and/or involvement to police  wives and mia nois in the coming couple of weeks.

(Maybe even to maids or drivers as well)

(but not to van drivers)

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Krisana’s comment was in response to people’s criticism about some police having interests, including holding shares, in night-entertainment businesses.

Well, they collect their dividends on a nightly basis. I suppose those could now be reinvested.

This could prove interesting.  'Supposedly and publicly an end to police ownership, but I suspect it's more likely the beginning of something and a continuation of other things, but probably not an actual ending to anything.

The bar pictured looks very wild.I can play with my phone at home.

Since the Minister of Tourism wants to close any business associated with sex I would think some of the TVers would want their favorite den of inequity protected.

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Who's going to enforce this edict against the police??? The police???  :cheesy:  :burp:  :cheesy:

BTW, so does that mean that brothels, soapy massage parlors, gambling establishments etc. are OK for them to be involved in???

You forgot to mention drugs & people trafficking

15 hours ago, mark131v said:

Enforced.....No

Steps taken.....None

More hot air from the self appointed expert on everything and another wasted opportunity to actually do something constructive for the country rather than personal enrichment.... 

agreed, doubt anything will actually come of this; the enforcement, police, are the problem